Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

*sigh* Another boring box. Every other building in that rendering has better detailing than this one.

It looks like an insurance company.

Would be much nicer if the windows were ribboned...between this, the Clarendon and the old Hancock building...you have 3 huge clunky structures dominated by mullions and tiny windows. Really an ugly look...though this building isn't ugly...just could be better.

Is the perspective in the latest rendering exaggerated? I dont think the building is going to looks as thin and tall as it appears in that drawing.

CBT keeps their place as apparently the only architecture firm in Boston.

Nice to know we're still putting up '60s-style clunkers. CBT apparently took all its cues from the old State Street Bank (225 Franklin) and the MetLife in NYC. Party like it's 1964, bitches!

Woot! The future is here!

20timelife2-cityroom-blogSpan.jpg

On the plus side, this thing is moving forward. They have already begun demo (read asbestos abatement) from what I understand.
I have also been told what we had suspected. This thing will be using real stone for it's facade. So hopefully materials will help make the building.

I'm probably the most pro park person on this board and I hate the thought of a park on Stuart St. I want to see a high rise on that site someday. So I found this to be good news:

The developer is committed to creating a significant public realm improvement by creating new public open space along St. James Avenue, on a portion of the parcel currently owned by Liberty Mutual at 30 St. James Ave., or on an alternate parcel to be mutually agreed upon by the developer and the BRA at an appropriate future time

http://www.backbaysun.com/#ST1816

Don't Screw with Shirley.

Liberty Mutual ?public hearing?
by Shirley Kressel
contributing writer
Thursday Aug 26, 2010

I?ve already devoted two columns (here and here) to the Liberty Mutual (LM) project, and the $46.5 million in city and state taxpayer money that Governor Deval Patrick, Mayor Thomas Menino, and the City Councilors (except Chuck Turner and Charles Yancey) chose to give to the financially flush insurance giant. As I have detailed, this money was given away for absolutely no reason, while library, school, and other human services are being mercilessly slashed. Yet, there was no public outcry. And so, on August 17, LM?s centennial vanity project, a 300 foot-high monument to itself, came to a vote at the BRA?s ?public hearing? (not to be confused with a listening) and was approved. There was never any suspense about the outcome. But there was testimony, and it?s worth thinking about.

City Councilors Bill Linehan, Maureen Feeney, Sal LaMattina, John Connolly and Michael Ross weighed in. They enthusiastically thanked the BRA for being extremely receptive to the City Council. They applauded the tax break as a catalyst for the project. They praised LM for its responsiveness to community input in an exemplary public process. They lauded the project?s contribution to the vibrancy of the public realm (Feeney disingenuously praised the universally detested - even by the BRA -- skywalk, to be built over the street from the tower to the current LM building, as "a bridge connecting new and old"). And they showered LM with gratitude for choosing Boston as a home when it had so many other choices, and for creating so many jobs for Bostonians. None of these statements, of course, reflects reality, except the reality that Councilors want to ingratiate themselves with Mayor Menino and with the construction unions. They will also, next election day, be bragging about how they "created jobs" - also unrelated to reality.

Lamattina, after expressing support for this 300-foot tower in a 100-foot zone, asked the BRA not to "Manhattanize" his North End neighborhood by raising the 55-foot height limit to 85 feet at a Greenway site.

Mike Ross?s aide reported that his consultation with the BRA and his review of the project satisfied him that there was, despite evidence to the contrary, full compliance with state shadow laws protecting the Boston Common. The community and the state representatives weren?t satisfied, but Ross sent his blessings.

The BRA project manager, Jay Rourke, touted the 600,000 square foot expansion of the campus, the 600 jobs for the city, the "thorough and thoughtful" review process, and the lively streets to be created by the project. He also definitively declared the shadow problem non-existent.

The LM defense strategy focused heavily on its corporate philanthropy. Like most big corporations, LM runs a charitable foundation; dozens of small grants create a wide pool of grateful recipients always ready to put in a glowing tribute to the good corporate citizen. Indeed, a half-dozen beneficiary organizations that provide various human services testified in support of the project, to thank LM for its financial help. Some even praised the project for creating jobs that would rescue homeless and impoverished people.

I came to testify about something no one else would discuss: public recourse to the outrageous government action making all this possible.

But first, I felt compelled to debunk the previous comments. In fact: LM had never even considered moving out of Boston, as it explicitly admitted at the City Council tax-break hearing. It is not expanding its workforce to fill this huge tower; it is simply shuffling its employees out of some of its other buildings, which it will then lease out for rental income. The "600 jobs" promise, at 30 jobs a year, is actually 75% less in annual hiring than LM has been doing for the past six years, according to its application documents; and over the course of 20 years, we are talking about 30 jobs a year on average, of which approximately 20%, or 6 jobs a year, on average, will go to Boston residents. I repeat: Six new Boston jobs a year. The number of insurance company jobs that will uplift the aforementioned homeless people is going to be, I estimate, zero. And, as I pointed out, the $46.5 million stuffed into LM?s overflowing pockets by our government officials could have done far more for the homeless, the at-risk youth and others who came to express gratitude for LM?s few thousand dollars in grants.

The public recourse is based on two BRA transgressions. First, the project, at triple the legal zoning height, is being allowed to evade zoning by designation as a Planned Development Area (PDA). But the one-acre size requirement for a PDA has been met by creative geography - including the land under the adjacent Salada Tea building, which LM owns and will remodel to work with the tower. If this were legitimate, any owner of a one-acre existing development could declare it a PDA, and thus redevelop as a zoning-free district.

Second, and more interesting: the BRA has finally outsmarted itself and committed a wrongful act under its enabling legislation as the Boston Planning Board. Zoning, as the BRA itself states in its zoning code, must reflect planning; and planning must be a community process. The Advisory Group established for the community planning process in the project area met for two years while the BRA tried to manipulate them to assent to a huge up-zoning. The three neighborhoods represented on the Group finally submitted a letter demanding, among other things, that the zoning for this site remain unchanged, to protect the small-scale adjacent neighborhood (and that there be no PDAs in the district). When the Liberty Mutual tower was sprung on the public, the neighborhoods were outraged at being blindsided and ignored. The BRA?s solution was to cut the project site out of the planning area. Of course, the whole planning process then vaporized, since it had merely been a fig leaf to legalize this tower.

So: The project cannot be a Planned Development Area because it was officially not planned. And it could not be consistent with the planning for the district as a whole -- because there was none of that, either. Therefore, any aggrieved party, or any municipal officer or board, may bring a certiorari suit in court within 30 days to correct an error of law.

This has never happened before, in my days as a BRA-watcher. It is an unprecedented opportunity to hold the BRA accountable for false planning and for spot zoning. Will anyone act on it? Hello! Is anyone aggrieved?

The development team, including the BRA, sat unperturbed by my words. I assume they were thinking either: "Oh good heavens, she?s right! Let?s obey the law and give back the money!" Or: "Law? Law?? Shall we have steak or lobster at our celebration dinner tonight?"

I wonder what homeless people enjoying corporate charity had for dinner. And whether they were properly grateful for it.

Shirley Kressel is a landscape architect and urban designer, and one of the founders of the Alliance of Boston Neighborhoods. She can be reached at Shirley.Kressel@verizon.net.

http://www.mysouthend.com/index.php?ch=columnists&sc=city_streets&id=109587

Too long; didn't read.

Edit: Ok I read it until "Manhattanize", then I stopped.

Last edited:

She makes some good points. Backroom pre-approved deals are the only way to get things done with the BRA, and the public is virtually excluded from the process. She doesn't bring this up, but as an example, I don't think any of us even know what the final word about ground floor amenities was.

She typically does make some good points, but you have to sort through an obstacle course of red herrings and a hyperactive sense of indignation.

Backroom pre-approved deals are the only way to get things done with the BRA, and the public is virtually excluded from the process.

Indeed. I'm beginning to think it would be better if the NIMBYs did actually run the city. They may despise anything tall or grandiose, but at least they're willing to fight for some basic Jane Jacobs principles when they're necessary.

I completely agree with her.

There was NO reason for tax breaks.

This was fast tracked to a ridiculous level. Is the skywalk staying or going? Retail? Who the hell knows? It doesnt matter!

Meanwhile, at another project, it might have a 1 year delay if someone dislikes the windows.

46 Million dollars in Tax Breaks to a billion dollar insurance company.

These political assholes have lost their minds.

Interesting article - she's dead wrong about PDAs though, lots of PDAs around town include existing buildings that were rehabbed as part of the project. And my recollection is that this was a TIF - which is not a "Tax Break" from the city's perspective - a TIF generates net new tax revenue over the status quo...especially if LM bought this site from the Salvation Army...a non-profit that paid exactly $0 in real estate taxes...

^^^^ A discerning analysis. Wish the architecture were as sharp.

Interesting article - she's dead wrong about PDAs though, lots of PDAs around town include existing buildings that were rehabbed as part of the project. And my recollection is that this was a TIF - which is not a "Tax Break" from the city's perspective - a TIF generates net new tax revenue over the status quo...especially if LM bought this site from the Salvation Army...a non-profit that paid exactly $0 in real estate taxes...

And the city is also taking away from the private sector especially the landlords that actually have plenty of commerical space available to lease. Which would also generate tax revenue for the city. Instead the city gives 50 Million dollar taxbreak to an insurance company to build in the city. Why not give those types of breaks to Vornardo or other developers?

The city of Boston does not need to give incentives to corporations to stay in the city. This is not Nashua NH. We give enough tax breaks to the colleges and Hospitals that have created Boston into one of the top tier cities in the country.

Back