Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

^^hey jass (and any other mob conspiracy theorists out there), plenty of info/renderings/elevations/plans on the BRA website about the project. Not a bump-out, or an atrium, or an entrance, or a parking entrance - walk by there and you'll see an excavator in that area....beton brut got it right, looks like they're doing up-down so they need a place to park an excavator to scoop the spoils out of the glory hole during the down phase for the parking garage.

^^hey jass (and any other mob conspiracy theorists out there), plenty of info/renderings/elevations/plans on the BRA website about the project. Not a bump-out, or an atrium, or an entrance, or a parking entrance - walk by there and you'll see an excavator in that area....beton brut got it right, looks like they're doing up-down so they need a place to park an excavator to scoop the spoils out of the glory hole during the down phase for the parking garage.

Not just mob conspiratists, but Irish mob conspiratists.

/rolls eyes

mike_mulligan.jpg

Amazing how quickly a side joke becomes "a mob conspiracy".

The quick and reckless reactions of some of you quite frankly make me think that you work for the mob.

Goldman Sachs?

I always loved Mike Mulligan and still do

^ Ahh I still have my childhood copy of "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel"! Have it within arm's reach of me right now.

To Jass and whoever: you can bet the ranch that the BRA has a full set of plans, elevations, etc. for every project at their offices, and maybe up online as well.

PS I'm loving this up-down construction technique -- means we only end up staring at a big boring pit for half a year instead of one or two.

Amazing how quickly a side joke becomes "a mob conspiracy".

The quick and reckless reactions of some of you quite frankly make me think that you work for the mob.

It's not reckless. It's the idea that a mob existing in the private sector controls public officials is what amuses/irritates me, jass. If you want to see a mob, then look inside the government officials, would you please.... don't be so quick to blame us Micks. Just follow the campaign money.

All the people my company might need to influence, well, very few of them have Irish names. Yet all of them work for the City of Boston.

It's not reckless. It's the idea that a mob existing in the private sector controls public officials is what amuses/irritates me, jass. If you want to see a mob, then look inside the government officials, would you please.... don't be so quick to blame us Micks. Just follow the campaign money.

All the people my company might need to influence, well, very few of them have Irish names. Yet all of them work for the City of Boston.

I never said anything about it being the irish mob.

Last i checked, it was the OTHER mob that has more fame. The one that shares Menino's heritage.

But the real point is, when someone proposes a 4 story 8-unit apartment, we get every damn diagram on earth. Shadows, height, parking etc etc

This building? Nothing. No details on the gerbil tube, nothing on the parking, very few renders, etc.

Its probably because its a corporate headquarters and nothing to do with the mob. Boston bends over backwards for corporate headquarters bc we don't have many major ones. The approval process went thru before you could blink why are you surprised? This didn't go thru the usual public scrutiny

The BRA site did host the PNF for this project containing quite a few plans and renderings in addition to hundreds of pages of impact data. It was linked to in a post in this thread a while ago. However, it seems the BRA have removed that PDF from their site. I downloaded it while it was still up and, if anyone is interested, I'll host it on the site for anyone to download.

I believe a lot of these have been posted in this thread already, but in an effort to stop the bickering:
157_berkeley_plan_1.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_w.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_s.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_e.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_n.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_columbus_2.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_columbus.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_park_sq.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_entrance.jpg

157_berkeley_elevation_persp_corner.jpg

Two poor souls about to walk into that wall of glass believing that there must, MUST be an entrance or some sort of ground-floor amenity at such a prominent and dramatic moment in the irregular street grid.

Must be tourists from Paris.

Some of these renderings make me think of a rounded, chubby JFK building. I'm kind of getting scared here.

Also note that Stuart St gets the biggest shaft of all, as that's where the curb cut is. And it's right across from their damn parking lot.

Two poor souls about to walk into that wall of glass believing that there must, MUST be an entrance or some sort of ground-floor amenity at such a prominent and dramatic moment in the irregular street grid.

I thought there was subsequent agreement to put some store fronts in on the Columbus Ave. side. I believe these renders pre-date that decision.

Couldn't be -- no dogs in the picture

In Paris you have dogs in the cafes -- we need to at least have dogs on the sidewalk -- otherwise there will be no tourists from Paris and we'll lose the connection to CDG

I thought there was subsequent agreement to put some store fronts in on the Columbus Ave. side. I believe these renders pre-date that decision.

The agreement between the BRA and Liberty Mutual was that L/M would put a small public park in on Stuart Street in the space that's currently a parking lot. There's also going to be a public cafe inside the Berkeley Street entrance. I don't see the cafe in the plans above. It will probably be one of those crappy little carts with generic coffee which they'll close after a year due to lack of customers.

Edit: I'm wrong, the cafe occupies most of the first floor along Huntington Avenue. I wish they offered access to it from Huntington. It looks more like a corporate cafeteria at the moment.

Face it, this is going to be a vertical corporate campus, and quite a fatass one at that.

Last edited:

Seems like someone accidentally deleted the "mixed use" memo.

I'd be far less pissed off if Boston hadn't given them extraordinary tax breaks to build this pedestrian-FU POS.

so CBT designed this? I was wondering what they have been up to...seems like they've been laying low after boreifying our city for much of last decade

Back