Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

Yup, that's where picked my handle from (in a round about way).

@MBTAddict: what hole? I'm not seeing it.

In the 5th photo form bostoncitywalk's post from yesterday, the big empty square on the Columbus Ave side.

You are speaking of the atrium area, yes?

Oye... this hole!

6866255117_68aef42678_b.jpg

Yes, that's the hole. So it's an atrium?

I can't disclose any details. Sorry.

Yes, that's the hole. So it's an atrium?

Ah, I thought you meant there was a hole in the ground, didn't occur to me you might mean the side of the building. I'm not sure what that hole is for, but I do know that there is still heavy construction equipment inside the frame, which I saw through that very hole when I walked by last Friday. I know nothing about atriums, but I do know the equipment will need a way out. maybe the hole is temporary.

Ah, I thought you meant there was a hole in the ground, didn't occur to me you might mean the side of the building. I'm not sure what that hole is for, but I do know that there is still heavy construction equipment inside the frame, which I saw through that very hole when I walked by last Friday. I know nothing about atriums, but I do know the equipment will need a way out. maybe the hole is temporary.

Henry -- in tunels the equipment sometimes goes in pieces or come out in pieces -- so its clear if the equipment can be dismantled or cut-up that it can come out through a small hole such as the kind of lobby entrance to a major office building before the revolving doors or airlock sets of doors are installed

I'm guessing the hole is an entrance -- possibly with a marquee or bump-out

This is an "up-down build," like CLSB. My semi-educated guess is that the aperture on the Columbus Ave facade will allow equipment to roll out of the structure once the digging is done.

It could be to allow the concrete truck access.

Parking garage access? That'll be sure to fry some noses here, to quote hizzonah.

Can someone explain to me how it is possible that such a significant building is under construction and the public doesnt have access to diagrams of what the damn thing will actually look like?

Is this a mob project?

Parking garage access? That'll be sure to fry some noses here, to quote hizzonah.

Please tell me how you got from "concrete truck access" to "parking garage access." That's one significant, and silly, jump in logic.

Can someone explain to me how it is possible that such a significant building is under construction and the public doesnt have access to diagrams of what the damn thing will actually look like?

Is this a mob project?

Mob project? Are you guys for real here? The Irish Mob is a myth. At our best, coordination is a coincidence of us each ordering additional pints at roughly the same time.

edit: grammar ... tone

Last edited:

I'm confused as to which hole we're talking about in the pic, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, could it be for the gerbil tube? I'm a bit confused as to the angle here. *consults Google maps, but gets distracted and through a series of other distractions, ends up looking at oxbow lakes on the Connecticut River at 3AM*

@BostonUrbEx: it's the Columbus Ave. side, which is to say the opposite side of the gerbil tube, which will cross Stuart St.

As far as I know, there is no parking garage in this building. I watched a fair amount of the excavation, and it never looked like they were digging deep enough for that. Can't be sure, though, what with the mob involvement.

@BostonUrbEx: it's the Columbus Ave. side, which is to say the opposite side of the gerbil tube, which will cross Stuart St.

As far as I know, there is no parking garage in this building. I watched a fair amount of the excavation, and it never looked like they were digging deep enough for that. Can't be sure, though, what with the mob involvement.

Henry -- with the size O'hole measured in Pints of "Guinss equivalent" of course

Please tell me how you got from "concrete truck access" to "parking garage access." That's one significant, and silly, jump in logic.

I don't think we were ever told that for sure, beyond semi-educated guesses anyways.

205 spaces.

Back