Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

If I remember correctly, the original configuration, as illustrated in those renderings, was to have ZERO doors along Columbus Ave., save a loading dock truck entrance. After the neighborhood voiced their concerns about having such a large nonporous expanse--around 320'--Liberty Mutual's "concession" was to add a single door on Columbus Ave.. A single door into their double-height lobby, which may contain a cafeteria open to the public.

Meh. This is consistent filler for the area. The ground floor may be dead but so is the whole "insurance district" area.

Luckily, we have a standout to look forward to a few blocks away at Colpey Place. :D

Some of these renderings make me think of a rounded, chubby JFK building. I'm kind of getting scared here.

Also note that Stuart St gets the biggest shaft of all, as that's where the curb cut is. And it's right across from their damn parking lot.

Exactly my reaction to seeing the 7th rendering in Briv's post.

Looks like they just took both JFK's and melded them side by side.

I hope it doesn't turn out like that - - especially regarding exterior color.

Meh. This is consistent filler for the area. The ground floor may be dead but so is the whole "insurance district" area.

Luckily, we have a standout to look forward to a few blocks away at Colpey Place. :D

Correction: you might have that to look forward to. You definitely have this to dread looking forward at, though.

Also, insurance district? That is hopefully so not happening...

Look on the bright side. In a few years some architects will get paid to redesign the lobby and street frontage to engage pedestrians. Consider it round II to the recent ground level renovations of the 1970s office boxes downtown.

If I remember correctly, the original configuration, as illustrated in those renderings, was to have ZERO doors along Columbus Ave., save a loading dock truck entrance. After the neighborhood voiced their concerns about having such a large nonporous expanse--around 320'--Liberty Mutual's "concession" was to add a single door on Columbus Ave.. A single door into their double-height lobby, which may contain a cafeteria open to the public.

It's definitely a product of the Kendall Square school of urban design, one that has also filtered over to the Seaport.

Though, over there you often have to walk through a purposeless mini-"park" to reach the blank wall.

Contemporary Boston architecture will someday inspire the next J.G. Ballard.

IAM sure. FATIRON bilding Isay agaiN. OR. BAD BAD WashDC bilds for SECRT AGEN mans secrt car EnTRance

Fatiron Building it is. Perfect.

Also, insurance district? That is hopefully so not happening...
I believe that's what the area was referred to in the mid-20th century, around the time the old Hancock was built. Hopefully, the trendy dont catch on.

Seems like someone accidentally deleted the "mixed use" memo.

I'd be far less pissed off if Boston hadn't given them extraordinary tax breaks to build this pedestrian-FU POS.

That's the amazing thing about technology and the internet. One can delete references to "mixed use" as easily as they can to denigrations about the Irish.

I have friends at LM (and personal investments, too), so as happy as I am to see construction activity, I admit that what they're building is a tepid addition to the neighborhood.

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

You can see the core from Park & Tremont now. I'm surprised how it's starting to show up from so many angles.

You can see the core from Park & Tremont now. I'm surprised how it's starting to show up from so many angles.

Every time I drive Storrow or Mem Dr. -- I look for the core but so far from car level all you can see are the cranes

Today I saw the core twice:

near 600 Mem Dr.
near to the Cambridge Parkway / land Blvd ramps by the Longfellow Bridge

Now that I know where to look -- its quite probable that it would have been visible last week

Last edited:

today in the rain
008.jpg
006.jpg

First shot makes me so wistful for Columbus Center. Occupy those suburbany sloping lawn abutments! Someone is actually paid to mow that shit!

^ who knows with this mini boom going on it just might make a comeback! yesterday from Camb.
015.jpg
016.jpg
018.jpg
<Memorial Dr. needs to be made into a Parkway with more spots to park along the river so we don't have to view one of the best views of our city at 60 miles per hour!

I usually view it at 3 mph (walking) or 12 mph (biking), and so can you.

Parked cars would actually make it harder to see the view when you're driving.

There was parking along Memorial Drive for quite some time ...

Back