Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

today if u can stand some more!
038.jpg

Love to see that a bakery is in so much demand that its raising its roof with some cranes :=}

trapped on the pike
010-2.jpg
011-1.jpg
008-1.jpg
007-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

While I'm not the biggest fan of the fatiron building, I glad it covers some vantage points of the Tertis piece The Clarendon. Hopefully in a few years the Saunders Hotel can shield it some more.

Don't get all the hate for the Clarendon. It's unique, fits Boston's "palette," and has nice, svelte proportions. You can't say any of those things about the new Liberty Mutual building.

Don't get all the hate for the Clarendon. It's unique, fits Boston's "palette," and has nice, svelte proportions. You can't say any of those things about the new Liberty Mutual building.

Exactly.

this building is also being worked on
031-1.jpg

I say we ban all photos that include snaps of The Clarendon...

time to put this bad boy in the same category as racial insensitivities and general trolling

Good points.

My hate of the Clarendon is nuanced:

• It's a concrete-framed building that fails to take advantage of its material. Where are the corner windows?
  • And speaking of windows, the glazed horizontal incisions are just...dumb. Half-assed contexualism trying to be hip, like someone's grandpa dressed like Flavor Flav.

I can't fault the materials. The execution, like another Stern building across the River, is a bit absurd.

Good points.

My hate of the Clarendon is nuanced:

I can't fault the materials....

The funny thing is, the FIRST thing I fault is the materials! The glass looks cheap, the spandrel is too overwhelming, and the crown looks like a big piece of plastic taken off some children's toy. To me, this building is Exhibit A (ok, maybe Exhibit B, or C or D...) of how value engineering can kill something promising.

My main beef is that it's a shrunken out-of-scale excuse for a skycraper with awkward aesthetically jarring proportions.

The Clarendon is filler. It will fade into the background if Columbus Center is ever built.

If it didn't have the glass sections it would look way fatter. They make the primary coating of the building (the brick, or brickish material) seem as if it maintains some degree of svelte-ness.

As for corner windows, I think the designers' intention was to focus on emphasizing the grid-like aspects of the design, which militated against them. Good idea from a marketing perspective? No. Form following function? Not really. Aesthetically cohesive still? I think so.

^^^^What is the building next to Hancock and behind the 16 dollar bills? What is the name of that building?

I love that giant dollar size building infront of it . I think its one of the better residential buildings for the backbay.

To the left of the Clarendon? That's the YWCA/Parlin Apartments. There is also a small theater accessed via the lobby.

There's a 4-story section of limestone showing on the base of the building. It's behind the right-hand crane on Columbus. The articulation and detailing are quite nice - timeless, I would add.

Which of our faithful cameramen (-women?) will be the first to capture it for us?

Is the the same one as behind the Castle building?

From the MFA's new wing:

DIyfn.jpg

From Wednesday

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

Back