Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

As for your comment, at street level it's going to look pretty much like everything else in that neighborhood, so I'd argue it will do worse for the skyline than it will do for street level.

I would argue that it actually WILL make a skyline impact, even if it isn't an exceptionally drastic one. From the below picture you can see it is already taller than the yellow and glass building to the left of it, and the top should extend a couple floors above the core. From many angles this will continue to help bridge the backbay and financial district skylines together. Other projects, such as The Kensington, should do the same from the financial district side. Slowly but surely, Boston is creating one large continuous skyline.

Also at street level, this has a nice impact when walking down Stuart Street. You can tell that between this, the upcoming Copley Place condos, and the recently completed W and Clarendon, that Stuart Street has been (somewhat) revitalized and may soon provide the most impressive canyon in Boston.

IMG_6363.jpg

OMG, I can't believe you just used the word "canyon". It's every Back Bay resident's worst fear!!

Crevice might be more accurate.

Crack might be even more accurate, especially considering the new gerbil tube. That's crack as in the sweaty Ass Crack of the Back Bay.

Big update from this weekend

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg

^ The pull-in-style parking against the Park Plaza Office building is offensive... that entire space should be wider sidewalk and/or bike lane. What's the justification for the way this is now?

^ The pull-in-style parking against the Park Plaza Office building is offensive... that entire space should be wider sidewalk and/or bike lane. What's the justification for the way this is now?

The entire area for this development is not really foot traffic friendly. Everytime I walk around this area something is not right.

I walked around Downtown it seems that Suffolk University is starting to make a serious mark in that area. I actually like how the Theater District is panning out. The only problem I am seeing now is the Universties are literally taking over the entire city. What about Tax Revenue for the city?

The entire area for this development is not really foot traffic friendly. Everytime I walk around this area something is not right.

I think the problem has to do with pedestrian crossings. Because there are multiple streets coming together, everything involves crossing more than one street, and all of the streets are wide, making for large no mans lands in the middle of it all. I always jaywalk in this area, as the official crossings are not natural to the pedestrian paths.

The road in front of the Park Plaza is absurdly wide. I'd guess close to 50 feet and it's only one way. So I think you could fit pull-in parking, wider sidewalk and a bike lane pretty easily.

Make it an actual plaza. Propose planting a small strip of grass with trees and have the cars restricted to one driving and one (parallel) parking lane. The open space advocates will have its back and be on the right side of history for once.

Lots o' pics from t'day:

6915797684_3f2af086b7_b.jpg

6915798940_67c1a4d8c3_b.jpg

7061885113_b9915da29e_b.jpg

6915804612_b98f1d863f_b.jpg

7061887625_ea9bf66494_b.jpg

7061889091_1a0ba50cb9_b.jpg

6915811894_30153fa21c_b.jpg

6915813404_97c06f0526_b.jpg

6915814610_8bd7f9fb14_b.jpg

7061899967_0632103b39_b.jpg

6915825792_4ef608e854_b.jpg

6915829332_ae013dd4e4_b.jpg

7061911669_3bef950f35_b.jpg

7061913687_8aa24ae101_b.jpg

7061934049_da10d9a2ed_b.jpg

7061935813_b09253b0c0_b.jpg

KZ, where are the elevated pictures from, and is it "open" to the public?

The Motor Mart Garage, and yes it's "open" to the public as much as any other garage with an unlocked lobby is.

did'nt realize that,thats one garage I've never been in! looks like 6 more floors to go+ crown?

Liberty Mutual’s $50m
CEO pay stands out

Edmund F. “Ted’’ Kelly earned an average of nearly $50 million a year from 2008 to 2010, making him one of the highest-paid corporate executives in the US.

Front Page of the Globe

http://www.boston.com/

I hope you enjoy giving your hardearned taxmoney to this asshole. Deval Patrick and Mayor Menino should be arrested.
46.5 Million in tax dollars to help him with this development. This is nothing more than enriching a very greedy person TED KELLY.

This scenario is everything wrong with developments today.

Last edited:

Front Page of the Globe

http://www.boston.com/

I hope you enjoy giving your hardearned taxmoney to this asshole. Deval Patrick and Mayor Menino should be arrested.
46.5 Million in tax dollars to help him with this development. This is nothing more than enriching a very greedy person TED KELLY.

This scenario is everything wrong with developments today.

Why is he an asshole? Because he knows how to drive a hard bargain?

Is LibMu a terrible corporate neighbor? Did he personally send agents to your house to kill your young? Please help me understand why the failure of our elected officials to have a spine means a CEO doing his job is an asshole.

I suppose driving such a hard bargain that it affects the local tax payers as well as the people who line someones pockets by paying their premiums with veiled and feigned threats of moving out of state could be considered assholish. I don't think there is too much of a leap there.
Then again, I'd hardly put that on Ted Kelly or any other individual executive at LM. He's not the CEO there anymore btw. There is a whole team of execs. board of directors, etc. Throwing your blame at Mr. kelly as an individual is probably misaimed anger. Not so much as your anger at Devil and Mumbles. He is a figurehead however, although his personal income has little to do with what deals he works out for the company. Because, he swings such great deals and is credited as being the driving force behind making a local insurance company into a global juggernaut over the course of 20 years is why they reward him with such high pay.
Capitalism.

The billboard needs to go, it's deadsville. A new LED sign should replace it. IMO it would add a tad of excitement to the area.

P.S.: DZ and KZ thx for so many wonderful pictures.

Back