Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

Instagraming a photo a good building exterior does not make. Sorry.

I've gotta be misunderstanding you bbfen... There's 20+ great pics of this building and you seem to be saying that the buildings exterior is shit because the exterior looked good in the one pic that was instagrammed.

There's a difference between a great pic and a great building.

Instagramming or similar digital manipulation can be effective. I never said the building was shit ---- your word--- but I think the exterior is underwhelming. It's almost just quite adequate. A well-taken picture doesn't improve the reality of the situation on the street.

So what's your question?

You answered it. You think the exterior is underwhelming. I just think it would have made more sense to comment on the underwhelming aspects of the 20 or so non-doctored photos, rather than saying you don't like the building despite the fact that it looks good in the one doctored photo.

You answered it. You think the exterior is underwhelming. I just think it would have made more sense to comment on the underwhelming aspects of the 20 or so non-doctored photos, rather than saying you don't like the building despite the fact that it looks good in the one doctored photo.

What? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

This forum is turning into a bad joke.

As always, people will find something to complain about. That's just the way it is.

No Instagraming from me, at least not for architectural shots...you can tell because none of my photos are square. I've tried using Instagram on buildings but it's never felt right. Plus I think it's waaaaayy overused by them damn hipster doofuses.

"Instagram: making pictures look shitty since 2010."

I'm going to reserve my judgement until I see the cornice, which will make or break the building regardless of material.

If there is no cornice and they leave the top of the setback plain, then its a huge missed opportunity on an otherwise very well done building.

I knew it reminded me of something. I love CBT. Such great all-around architects.

My take is that the success of a Boston building depends on how well it works in winter. This building is going to be unbelievably grim on those miserable grey February days when all it presents is its oppressive relentless greyness.

Don't visit Paris -- you'll hate it.

Don't visit Paris -- you'll hate it.

BD -- well said -- that's why we have the relief offered by the red brick of Beacon Hill and the gold of the State House and a few other places

But -- basically Gray Frebruiary is just as it is -- that's really why we have April, May, June, July, August September and October

To someone with the sensitivity to, and knowledge of, Boston architecture as Datadyne I can see how this might resonate. To less sensitive/knowledgeable people (e.g., me and most others) I suspect the similarity is totally lost. I know others have remarked about the beauty of this skybridge, but to me it looks like a simple, functional design to get people from one building to another. It's fine, but when completed I doubt it will get a second look.

It's hard to hold a grudge against Liberty Mutual's tax gift when they do things like sponsor the 4th of July concert & fireworks. I still will, though.

To someone with the sensitivity to, and knowledge of, Boston architecture as Datadyne I can see how this might resonate. To less sensitive/knowledgeable people (e.g., me and most others) I suspect the similarity is totally lost. I know others have remarked about the beauty of this skybridge, but to me it looks like a simple, functional design to get people from one building to another. It's fine, but when completed I doubt it will get a second look.

Thanks for that judgement. As someone who has worked for firms in the city and has formed an opinion based on observing and studying jobs from multiple architects, I find that if you want an "ok" building you go to Elkus Manfredi or Perkins & Will. William Rawn is also losing his touch. CBT does (and has done for years) great contextual work with a contemporary edge. Architecture in the city is about responding to context in a way that is both functional and aesthetically appealing and I think CBT has this down to intricate science.

Also, what do you want from that bridge? Santiago Calatrava to design a skybridge across the street to connect a cafeteria? Form always follows function. A minimalist bridge is exactly the appropriate response for this location. Many of us were harping on and on about how (the idea of a bridge) will be a huge obstruction to the street and CBT delivered with a transparent, attractive solution maintaining the integrity of the street. It takes a trained architect to step back and realize that the best solution is not always the one with "more stuff." Overdesigning is a very real issue.

Last edited:

7517872410_2145d0b203_b.jpg

Back