Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

Sometimes, these people wear glasses and pantsuits.

Concerned Citizen of the Day: D.C.'s 'Squeaky Wheel'
by Tyler Falk, Atlantic Cities

If you've ever been to a city council hearing or any other city-related public forum you know Michael Sindram. If not the man, then surely his likeness.

Washington City Paper, dubbed Sindram D.C.'s "squeakiest wheel" in this week's nearly 4,000-word cover story (every squeaky wheel's dream, right?). This record speaks for itself.

The 6-foot, 5-inch, 200-pound man with a bald head is D.C.’s most prolific public witness. When the D.C. Council mulled seemingly mundane regulatory matters, he was there. When ANC 4D, in Petworth, discussed D.C. statehood, he was there, even though he’s not a resident of that district. When ANC 3F in Cleveland Park considered a nominee for the city’s Human Rights Commission, he was there, even though he’s not a resident of that entire ward. He’s cagey about quantifying his appearances at public meetings, but a glance at the Council’s recent witness lists gives a sense of just how much Sindram the city’s elected officials are experiencing: In April, the Council held hearings on 14 days; Sindram was scheduled to testify 21 times.

Nearly every local political scene has someone like Sindram. His story involves long digressions into unfair speeding tickets, city agency overcharges, inaccurate tax assessments, and Americans with Disabilities Act violations. Sindram has been tenacious in fighting to get what he believes is his. His entanglement with the Supreme Court, for instance, began with a $100 speeding ticket in Dorchester County, Md. Claiming the officer lacked evidence, Sindram challenged the ticket in five different state and federal courts on 27 occasions, to no avail. So he aimed higher. From 1989 to 1991, he filed 42 petitions with the Supreme Court, all of them in forma pauperis. The justices never did take up the case of the speeding ticket, but did rule, in a 6-3 decision, that Sindram would have to pay the court’s filing fees. “[T]he Court’s order in this case appears to be nothing more than an alternative for punishing Sindram for the frequency with which he has filed petitions,” wrote Thurgood Marshall in a dissent.

More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/06/concerned-citizen-day-dcs-squeaky-wheel/2155/

today,flag/tree has been up for a while.
20b2878b.jpg
bb58841b.jpg

Why did they use brown (weathered?) steel up until the crown, then switched to just plain ol' steel?

The "brown" steel you're referring to is structural and acts to support the loads of the building. The "plain ol' steel" is not load-bearing, rather it's used to shield the mechanical suite atop the building. I.e. its purpose is more aesthetic than structurally necessary.

(*Former civil engineering student here, so I could be wrong... so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm inaccurate).

The "brown" steel you're referring to is structural and acts to support the loads of the building. The "plain ol' steel" is not load-bearing, rather it's used to shield the mechanical suite atop the building. I.e. its purpose is more aesthetic than structurally necessary.

(*Former civil engineering student here, so I could be wrong... so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm inaccurate).
Sounds right.

The "plain ol' steel" is galvanized. It will be semi-exposed to the elements in the penthouse and needs this layer of protection from the weather.

An update from 6-7-12
DSCI0234.jpg

DSCI0233.jpg

DSCI0232.jpg

DSCI0231.jpg

DSCI0230.jpg

DSCI0229.jpg

DSCI0228.jpg

DSCI0227.jpg

DSCI0226.jpg

DSCI0225.jpg

DSCI0224.jpg

DSCI0223.jpg

DSCI0222.jpg

DSCI0221.jpg

DSCI0220.jpg

DSCI0219.jpg

DSCI0218.jpg

DSCI0217.jpg

DSCI0216.jpg

DSCI0215.jpg

DSCI0214.jpg

It's a lot but I had time on my hands, and wanted to capture from different angles and views.

Thought these were neat. But, maybe belong in the existing thread....

DSCI0243.jpg

DSCI0244.jpg

DSCI0245.jpg

DSCI0246.jpg

DSCI0247.jpg

DSCI0248.jpg

DSCI0249.jpg

Thought these were neat. But, maybe belong in the existing thread....

Sheamus -- Amazing juxtaposition -- great comparison of building technology for the same company a few generations apart

DSCI0247.jpg

DSCI0232.jpg

DSCI0231.jpg

Last edited:

I also found it funny.
In the 1935/6 (or so pictures) contractor for the original building. Turner Construction.
Contractor for the new building. Turner Construction.
Not alot changes in 75 years.

The cladding looks nice.

Just walked by it today. Looks like real limestone.

It's the real thing, or an expensive enough precast to fool the casual observer.

Still a shame how lifeless Stuart Street is. As an aside, the Stuart St corner across from the Hancock is now buzzing during lunch time thanks to three food trucks adjacent to the garage.

Excellent. Compare this limestone to the crap Ori Ron will be building at Dainty Dot, which we'll unfortunately be seeing soon enough.

It's definitely limestone. They said it would be in an earlier article and it certainly looks like the real deal when you're up close and personal. That plus the liberal use of depth and texture on those panels means it's already better than 90% of the facades we've gotten lately.

You can see this thing pretty well coming in on 93 from the south. Can't help but think another 10-12 floors would have made this thing stand out even more and standout.......

Back