Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

I tend to associate Brutalist style as cold concrete blocks jutting out from a bunker/fortress-like structure. They also tend to be top heavy.

IMO, this building is nothing like a Brutalist structure.

Looks more like Art-Deco to me.

yesterday
c95d51b2.jpg
4cbfa7be.jpg

I have been saying this project will come out fine. That last picture might make me eat my words.

Bring out the BRUTE

Neo-30s PostBrutalism eating the Old Hancock and its quaint real 30s architecture alive.

Not the best angle, because all the different limestone buildings just blend in together. It looks very good from most other angles though.

It's better than the dollar sign building, LOL

I'm a little disappointed that 1/3 to 1/2 of the Columbus Avenue facade seems to be for the garage or service area.

7795533264_71ac8ac522_z.jpg

From Berkeley Street

7795533516_c78d0cb0b0_z.jpg

Neo-30s PostBrutalism eating the Old Hancock and its quaint real 30s architecture alive.

Brutal maybe ... Brutalist? No. Brutalist is a very well defined style (See Jean Louis Sert). This is a brutal version of a historic load bearing masonry facade.

carry on.

cca

Yep. Thus, Postbrutalism.

You heard the term here first.

I like it. A good term to throw at the stuff being built for a lot of science and medical concerns lately, such as the BMC Ambulatory building or this thing at my old college:

DKL3524-M.jpg

stuck in traffic,could'nt help myself ;)
cd460b26.jpg
d018be05.jpg
1a48bc1d.jpg
b634ae12.jpg
787f61bc.jpg
d1ab02fc.jpg
eb2c7aac.jpg
878fe6ea.jpg

There is a big argument going on at skyscraperpage about whether this is even really limestone. Seems like something worth mentioning here.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198008&page=3

Interesting. I lack the technical language to argue the case, but having observed it from a close distance, it looks like no pre-cast I've ever seen, and does indeed look quite a lot like other examples of limestone around the neighborhood. Can't be bothered to sign up at skyscraper just to make that statement, but it does seem odd that a guy in Colorado and another in Canada consider their analysis of a few pictures to be more meaningful than eyewitness accounts.

Just took a look at that website........Pretty cool. Too bad they have no Boston Threads.

Boston is not terribly well represented there (what exactly are we building right now that is worth sharing with the world anyway?) although there are some threads if you search for them by sorting. The A-M pictures section occasionally has some really good sets.

The other site worth visiting is skyscrapercity. It is more international, and has more content overall. I think Liberty Mutual has a thread there too (barely updated). Also, not to brag too much or anything, but I personally take credit for rescuing Boston in the skyline voting (11 votes of 10 and 0 votes for 3 or less since I started carpetbombing the page a couple years ago). http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=19705&page=18

The project is listed on Bybee Stone Company's website (scroll to the bottom)
http://www.bybeestone.com/projects/under_construction/index.php

Although it does say: "Precast Contractor: Artex Systems, Inc.", Im not sure what that means

- - -

"In October 2010, Liberty Mutual broke ground on a 22-story, 590,000 square-foot office building at 157 Berkeley Street, Boston, as the company expands its global headquarters.

Architects: CBT Architects
General Contractor: Turner Construction Co.
Mason: Kenneth Castellucci & Associates, Inc.
Precast Contractor: Artex Systems, Inc.

Cubic Feet: 79,800
Stone: Buff
Finish: Smooth
Complete: TBC 2012"

It also lists a mason. So perhaps there is some precast and some stone?

Just took a look at that website........Pretty cool. Too bad they have no Boston Threads.

Boston is not well-represented in these global city/skyscraper fora because of the robustness of ArchBoston. Some other cities have bustling arch fora of their own (like Wired New York), but they're big enough cities both to have their own fora and representation there, I guess.

Boston is not well-represented in these global city/skyscraper fora because of the robustness of ArchBoston.

Bingo. People following Boston on these multi-city forums are also following other cities. But archBoston remains the top pick for people only following Boston.

Back