Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

I've noticed the sign for the park for a while now. What's the deal - wasn't this to be part of Columbus Center? Will they just raze the park if they ever do manage to develop the air rights? Any idea who's paying for it?

The park was part of the deal for the Columbus Center, but was to be separate from the development itself, and finished before the center as an salve for the neighbors.

And to make it perfectly clear, that park will stay in place regardless of whether/when Columbus Circle gets built.

You think that's bad, look at this dump across the street. Terrible street-level interaction. It should be torn down immediately!

http://goo.gl/maps/dufpP

(I agree with you on the height though.)

I wish every building looked like this. Imagine fan pier like this.

The park was part of the deal for the Columbus Center, but was to be separate from the development itself, and finished before the center as an salve for the neighbors.

But that's not the right location for the park that was in the original plans. Actually, there were two parks: 1) a linear park between Clarendon and Berkeley, above the NEC platforms; 2) a traingular "square" over the Pike, between Tremont, Arlington, and Marginal. The retaining wall in the picture is on land between the Pike, Clarendon, and the old Hardrock/Bertuccis building. It is where the tower was meant to be.

Different park. This is the Frieda Garcia Park on land owned by John Hancock which Hancock committed to build for the City to benefit neighborhood kids. Construction was apparently supposed to start last fall From the Globe almost one year ago:

Construction to start this fall on Frieda Garcia Park
Print | Comments () Posted by Patrick Rosso September 15, 2011 08:17 AM

The final design for the Frieda Garcia Park.
By Patrick Rosso, Town Correspondent

Construction on the Frieda Garcia Park is set to begin this fall and could be completed by late spring 2012, park designers told residents.

The park and playground, in the works since 2004, will be located between the Mass Pike, Clarendon Street, and Stanhope Street. It will cover about 12,000 square-feet and include benches, green space, new trees, and a children's play area.

The space is named for a longtime South End community advocate.

Local residents, John Hancock officials, and city and state officials gathered Wednesday night at the Back Bay Event Center to discuss the status of the park and hear an update from the team from the Halvorson Design Partnership.

Along with the creation of the park, which sits on land owned by the John Hancock Financial Services company, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation will redevelop a portion of their land next to the Frieda Garcia Park. MassDOT officials in attendance said that trees and grass will be planted to compliment the Frieda Garcia Park, but will not be open to the public.

John Hancock is funding the park development, but will turn over ownership to the Boston Parks and Recreation upon completion of construction.

“We can finally say that we are nearing the finish line,” said Carol Fulp, senior vice president of brand communications and corporate responsibility for John Hancock.

Fulp added that she was especially excited that the park would be completed in conjunction with John Hancock’s 150 anniversary celebration.

Although many in attendance expressed their excitement to see the park finally come to fruition, some still had concerns about the security and maintenance of the park.

“My issue is what happens in the park when it is closed,” said Anthony Gordon, who lives on Stanhope Street.

Liza Meyer, chief landscape architect for Boston Parks and Recreation, said that as of now they do not plan on locking the park at night. Meyer was quick to add, however, that once a Friends of the Park association is set up and the park is opened, the city is willing to work with the neighbors to ensure the park is safe and not used for illicit activities.

Joel Miller, a local resident, added that the neighborhood would help with the responsibilities of the park.

“I think we all have personnel to get out there and patrol the area. I think you will find out that a lot of the abutters will be happy to help out,” he said.

In addition to security issues, some residents commented about the park benches that will line the exterior perimeter of the park. Many were concerned that the benches could bring people to the park at inappropriate hours and provide a sleeping area for the homeless.

Meyer assured the group that although the design is approved and they hope to begin construction, aspects of the design could be changed if residents don’t like what they see.

Along with large shade trees being added to the park, designers will install two mosaic murals by Lisa Houck as well as new-age play structures that will be built on a rubber-base material found commonly in Boston parks.

In addition to the discussion and the question and answer session, attendees had a chance to speak with Frieda Garcia, the person for whom the park is named.

“She’s been a long time civic leader in the South End who has helped transform lives, from toddlers to seniors,” commented Fulp.

Garcia, an activist in the community, has a history in the neighborhood that includes being executive director of the United South End Settlement for 20 years, board member of United Way, and a founding member of the Alianza Hispana. She said she was honored to have the park named after her.

“This is my first time seeing the redesign and I kept wondering what it was going to look like, but from my perspective it looks quite beautiful,” she said.

We need to ban all parks because they may encourage improper activities.

I'm really surprised Boston doesn't have a 9pm curfew by now.

I wonder if Ned will emerge from hibernation to complain that John Hancock is encouraging children to play alongside dangerous particulates.

130_zpsa9355f25.jpg
122_zpsa88b8132.jpg
121_zpsa8b76c9d.jpg
120_zps2c346201.jpg
119_zps7de67777.jpg
118_zps402054dc.jpg
117_zps2738b5be.jpg

The cladding it doesn't look that bad if you lay down on the highway and look up at it.

The cladding is starting to go up on some portions of the crown:

photo_sep_24__4_46_13_pm.jpg

photo_sep_24__4_48_25_pm.jpg

With that, I feel comfortable saying that I like how this building turned out. I just wish it was taller.

From the red
DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

The cladding is starting to go up on some portions of the crown:

photo_sep_24__4_46_13_pm.jpg

photo_sep_24__4_48_25_pm.jpg

With that, I feel comfortable saying that I like how this building turned out. I just wish it was taller.

I was hoping for something a bit more radical for the crown, to make up for the height. Where the stone veins are going in, I had pictured LED lighting. The entire crown could have been a series of lighting panels between more narrow stonework. It would have fit nicely with the old Hancock, but offered something visually far more stunning.

Radical? This building?

Measured against other projects currently underway in Boston, the only thing radical here is the use of quality materials.

When people say things like "Well, it's just a background building." This is is what a background building should look like. This should be bottom rung of the architectural ladder in the city. Sadly, it's closer to the top.

Back