Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

The precast mines are next to the Alucobond fields.

I can't stop laughing. :'D Perhaps a sign I should get some sleep.

This will be nominated comment of the year for the 2012 archBoston awards.

Cladding might be precast limestone panels. The only difference between that and typical concrete is the composition of the aggregate.

How can it be stone AND precast? Are you saying that it uses crushed limestone as part of the concrete? I guess that would explain the stone company's involvement in the project.

Why would you pay for real limestone 20 stories up?

The stone carvers will be busy for a decade at a cost of $20 million or so repairing earthquake damage to the National Cathedral, almost all the damage was to decorative stone. And $15 million to repair the cracks in the Washington Monument. So the real stuff has its cost.

This building is indeed "stone and precast".

The stone is sourced (by Bybee) from the same mine as the limestone on the original Liberty building. The difference is that instead of being carved and laid up on site, it's sent to Artex Systems in Canada where it becomes an inlay face material
in a precast concrete panel.

Other common inlay materials for precast are brick and granite. Generally the material cost is not what makes these things expensive, it's the labor associated with installation. With the inlay panel approach you can install it 300SF at a time.

So yes, as far as the crane operator is concerned, it's precast.

On the crown. I hope those inlaid areas light up. I assume this is mechincal penthouse and would expect louvers here. If these don't light up, they should be louvers that match the color of the glass for continuity. Otherwise they offer almost nothing to the finished product.

The cornice is simple, but welcome. Why no finish at the top of the major setback?

This building is indeed "stone and precast".

The stone is sourced (by Bybee) from the same mine as the limestone on the original Liberty building. The difference is that instead of being carved and laid up on site, it's sent to Artex Systems in Canada where it becomes an inlay face material
in a precast concrete panel.

Other common inlay materials for precast are brick and granite. Generally the material cost is not what makes these things expensive, it's the labor associated with installation. With the inlay panel approach you can install it 300SF at a time.

So yes, as far as the crane operator is concerned, it's precast.

Thanks elleipsis. Out of curiosity, how thick do the inlaid pieces typically end up? Is it the same amount of stone as if you were installing a non-precast limestone facade?

This photo shows the edge condition:

img_0428.jpg

I would say this piece looks unusually thick. I suspect the less complicated (flat) panels have pieces somewhere around 1" to 3". A "real" load-bearing limestone building would be hard to come by today. Think pyramids of Egypt.

.. and I should add that so far I think this looks like a nicely executed example of the approach. Liberty Mutual can certainly afford it.

I would say this piece looks unusually thick. I suspect the less complicated (flat) panels have pieces somewhere around 1" to 3". A "real" load-bearing limestone building would be hard to come by today. Think pyramids of Egypt.

I didn't really mean load-bearing. I meant instances when the facade is not in-laid in precast concrete sections. Aren't their instances where granite paneling (for example) is hung with anchor bolts drilled/epoxied into the granite?

When you see the pictures up-close the development looks good. When you see the backbay skyline pictures.......it seems they do no justice, but make it look like a big block of concrete with windows.

Last edited:

I glimpsed it from the South End the other day and it looked like an unfinished pile of very raw, nasty concrete. I wonder if there's to be some kind of final coating applied?

Based on the last few photos, my opinion is that they should have lowered and widened the very slight setback there now 6 or 7 floors, so the project would resemble a stumpier Trump Tower in Chicago. Throw on a few extra floors- maybe a hundred feet worth- and this building starts to look a little bit less like a "big block of concrete with windows".

That way it could at least look a bit better from afar like it does from up close.

I think the name Fat Iron should stick.

The Windows are just too small. Looking at the development in those pics it looks like a prison.

Cell Block A--is being built in the Backbay. It looks a bit brutalist style...

I thought this development would be fine, I'm having doubts on this one and how it will eventually look in the city skyline.

Those windows are definitely not small. They are quite large.

The way it blocks out the old Hancock from much of the South End is a bummer. Oh well.

Sigh, why is actuarial architecture so joyless? (err don't answer that). The more cladding goes up on this thing the less I like it.

Yesterday.....I left the ISO up way too high from the previous night and more or less ruined these shots....oh well:

8084813512_c978e7af8a_b.jpg

8084813517_fc66eb6afa_b.jpg

8084812408_a73d1786f0_b.jpg

8084811131_05b2f3284e_b.jpg

8084810164_b089ce341d_b.jpg

8084807772_a7a4c2811d_b.jpg

8084804611_0a8c920f92_b.jpg

8084807463_c96d0c10a9_b.jpg

8084803860_b771178c1c_b.jpg

8084803021_e8fb3c34ba_b.jpg

8084797764_cfaa5f2db3_b.jpg

8084799204_05d85ded68_b.jpg

8084794426_aedccd8061_b.jpg

8084795310_7ac155d986_b.jpg

8084796428_e42b63aa6d_b.jpg

8084792710_b717ff49e5_b.jpg

8084790144_e8ed8fbfd5_b.jpg

8084788980_f9b60d65e2_b.jpg

8084787104_4605418e6a_b.jpg

8084785710_47f9b0a3e7_b.jpg

Compare the above to this shot from two months ago:

7713647996_78997f38fb_b.jpg

8084784218_b5dff16ac3_b.jpg

8084783885_c53b49513e_b.jpg

8084782637_ac094b9f70_b.jpg

Peek-a-boo:

8084779072_d9cf92da39_b.jpg

Wowza! Some *amazing* photos here! Some pretty cool shots with the Hancock in them too, she blends right into the blue sky.

yea great shots KZ! The Hancock looks amazing in some of those shots.

Back