038.jpg

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

and along the pike
034-23.jpg
045-25.jpg
from Mass ave
012-43.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Yes, I just noticed this morning on my way to work on the red line that this is indeed visible from across the Charles now. How cool it would be if we could get a few more projects to go up and fill in the skyline between it and the W Hotel.

Kennsington and the Stuart st tower's will help!
007-1.jpg

Boston02124, nice pictures. Are you the one driving while taking them? I was on the Pike the other day and attempted to take some pics while driving and had issues staying in my lane.

Boston02124, nice pictures. Are you the one driving while taking them? I was on the Pike the other day and attempted to take some pics while driving and had issues staying in my lane.

He's had a lot of practice.

yes! please!! do not try to copy my bad habit! The reason why I started to take these kind of pixs 6 yrs ago (my 1st digital camera w/image stablizer) is I've been driving for a living in the Boston/New England area now for almost 29 yrs,After so many years on the road I now know when and where to take a pix at certain points along the road,I use my hand as my eyes and my real eyes are on the road,If I get the pix cool, if not I'll pass this same part( metro Boston only) of the road maybe 3-8 times again in the next week alone,again a bad habit and now illegal in Mass. I now try to pull over more or just take the pixs when I'm a passenger! In other words never look at ur camera while driving and taking a pix if that make's sense! Today
005.jpg
001.jpg
003.jpg
006.jpg
I now feel kind of guilty posting these ;0

yes! please!! do not try to copy my bad habit! The reason why I started to take these kind of pixs 6 yrs ago (my 1st digital camera w/image stablizer) is I've been driving for a living in the Boston/New England area now for almost 29 yrs,After so many years on the road I now know when and where to take a pix at certain points along the road,I use my hand as my eyes and my real eyes are on the road,If I get the pix cool, if not I'll pass this same part( metro Boston only) of the road maybe 3-8 times again in the next week alone,again a bad habit and now illegal in Mass. I now try to pull over more or just take the pixs when I'm a passenger! In other words never look at ur camera while driving and taking a pix if that make's sense! Today
I now feel kind of guilty posting these ;0

Bos -- I shoot quite frequently with the camera extended through my moon roof and the camera strap wrapped around my hand for security

Only down-side is that you get a lot of pix that weren't really aimed at anything of interest
PS: -- you pix are great -- Keep Shooting

6821936219_f6cbcbafc1_b.jpg

6821939657_12b6b511c6_b.jpg

Excellent pix Kz

the building is starting to make itself quite visible -- too bad it didn't have a nice extra 20 stories at the corner in the picture

That boy in the Liberty Mutual ad is from Boston. He's adorable. And he didn't know he would be on the ad - or at least, one that large - until he saw it for himself. He nearly died. So cute!

That boy in the Liberty Mutual ad is from Boston. He's adorable. And he didn't know he would be on the ad - or at least, one that large - until he saw it for himself. He nearly died. So cute!

It's too bad the building that the ads is placed on was not razed and the lot made part of the new Liberty building.

I'd rather see a slightly taller version of that Quincy mini skyscraper bank, or the "Times Square" type building they promised for the Hub Ticket booth trailer spot in the Theatre District.

It's too bad the building that the ads is placed on was not razed and the lot made part of the new Liberty building.

They refused to sell. (And LM made a very handsome offer, I'm told.)

Good, I'm glad.

I'm not anti-modernist by any stretch and I get the whole 'false-history' argument. But honestly, modern office buildings are rubbish at the street level.
Maybe there are a few examples out there where this isn't case, but it almost a given that this building is better at street level than anything they would have built to replace it.

Good, I'm glad.

I'm not anti-modernist by any stretch and I get the whole 'false-history' argument. But honestly, modern office buildings are rubbish at the street level.
Maybe there are a few examples out there where this isn't case, but it almost a given that this building is better at street level than anything they would have built to replace it.

Agree, although my non-dislike of modernism is probably more theoretical and less extant in practice than you seem to imply yours is. I can't help but wonder when "they" (practicing architects, the geniuses in the academy, whoever) will think of whatever comes after Modernism (and PoMo doesn't count)? Does anything come next? Outside of the whole Gehry/Hadid approach of using bizarro shapes, there seems to my mind to be something of a 60-year-old stagnation in architecture.

I also find it interesting that the place where individuals have the greatest amount of "say" in making architecture-related decisions -- i.e., in the purchase of an individual home -- the vast majority of the time they vote with their wallet in choosing traditional designs. Of course, this is influenced by factors ranging from cost to zoning laws to simply doing "what's expected," but I think that in our heart of hearts most of us aren't overly fond of the alucobond-and-glass treatment and would prefer to see Boston's older buildings preserved and gussied up rather than replaced by a Druker Special.

Agree, although my non-dislike of modernism is probably more theoretical and less extant in practice than you seem to imply yours is. I can't help but wonder when "they" (practicing architects, the geniuses in the academy, whoever) will think of whatever comes after Modernism (and PoMo doesn't count)? Does anything come next? Outside of the whole Gehry/Hadid approach of using bizarro shapes, there seems to my mind to be something of a 60-year-old stagnation in architecture.

I also find it interesting that the place where individuals have the greatest amount of "say" in making architecture-related decisions -- i.e., in the purchase of an individual home -- the vast majority of the time they vote with their wallet in choosing traditional designs. Of course, this is influenced by factors ranging from cost to zoning laws to simply doing "what's expected," but I think that in our heart of hearts most of us aren't overly fond of the alucobond-and-glass treatment and would prefer to see Boston's older buildings preserved and gussied up rather than replaced by a Druker Special.

Itch -- I for one would love to see more of the mix of granite and glass of the tower built at the end of Quincy Market - they even did the rough granite at pedestrian level and smoother granite higher-up

Itch -- I for one would love to see more of the mix of granite and glass of the tower built at the end of Quincy Market - they even did the rough granite at pedestrian level and smoother granite higher-up

Yea that's a great building...and the fact that it's held up so well, after what, 25 years, is impressive.

Back