Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

There's too much going on in that rendering, architecturally. For once, reality is shaping up better.

You know a rendering may be suspect when there's NOTHING shown on the roof. That kiosk Cafe in the foreground looks like something out of ancient Greece.

Looks to good for the waterfront. Couldn't they have found some room for precast concrete?

Best of 2010.

It's a bit early to tell, but this looks like a great project. Finally something with the right design scale, 3 smaller elements with some interesting gestures and a decent attention to materials. It clearly beats the typical mega-block, all precast boxes that we have seen in the past... it might even be a pleasure to walk past.

I would be happy with a streetscape with a continuous parade of projects that are a single or a double rather than a series of strikeouts with the occasional solitary homerun.

Is the key to development of the seaport smaller parcels that don't aim so high (and thusly don't fail so spectacularly)?
(Has Boston been reduced to that?)

Lots of glass! Like that on the water. Will be a better Seaport destination than Louis. My argument regarding the Fish Pier smell in the summer still stands. Hopefully there will be a good quick evening option for before Pavilion shows.

So are they going to keep LTK open after this is finished?

I have to say that I was skeptical about this project but I really think this buildings major elements and massing are doing some very nice things for the street. I applaud the restraint used here.

I am sure we will all freak out the second a piece of composite aluminum panel goes up ... but the big things in my mind seem to have been nicely handled. I look forward to this being done.

cca

I can't wait to go there some nice warm sunny day this summer!

So are they going to keep LTK open after this is finished?

So far, yes. It is considered an entirely different concept from Legal, so they are keeping them adjacent to eachother. Interesting proposal, and another Boston institution making an investment in the Seaport. At least the Legal move makes sense.

Being a test kitchen, it would make sense to keep them both open. As long as the demand stays. LTK is a little looser, and hip for the younger and possibly less affluent crowd (I go there from time to time, but am sure I can't afford the new high end flag ship across the street when it opens since it'll be a fish version of Morton's).

While this also helps market across the street when some one asks "do you still have such and such on the menu?". No we don't, but it was so well received that it is available across the street at the mother ship.

Do they still serve that bean spread for dipping your bread in? That stuff was so good the few times i have been.

LTK is absolutely dreadful. I went there once and it was probably the worst restaurant food I've ever eaten.. EVER. Boston's restaurants are generally really really bad. Even the best ones aren't that good. Legal Sea Foods is also not very good, and overpriced.

Boston's restaurants are generally really really bad. Even the best ones aren't that good.

I'd love some context to go with this indictment of Boston's culinary offerings.

And this is an interesting topic about our city's cultural life and values. I'm surprised we don't have a "Restaurants" thread in the General Forum.

Legal Sea Foods is no more deserving of a place in a discussion of the merits of Boston restaurants than Friendlies or IHOP.

I enjoy Aquitaine, Hammersley, Franklin, the Delux; I wouldn't say they "aren't that good". Had the buffet at the Bombay Club (now located in the Pho Republique space...fortunately the Indonesian type bar remains.) That buffet wasn't brilliant.

LTK is absolutely dreadful. I went there once and it was probably the worst restaurant food I've ever eaten.. EVER. Boston's restaurants are generally really really bad. Even the best ones aren't that good. Legal Sea Foods is also not very good, and overpriced.

you must be eating in the wrong places then. I find Boston to be a great foodie city.

Or perhaps he has different tastes? Coming from the suburbs, I've never been able to dream of not being satisfied by a restaurant in the city. It seems like everywhere is better. Hell, even the Burger Kings are better.

lol not true! they are usually more expensive and lack a dollar menu!

Or perhaps he has different tastes? Coming from the suburbs, I've never been able to dream of not being satisfied by a restaurant in the city. It seems like everywhere is better. Hell, even the Burger Kings are better.

Actually many of the top shelf restaurants in metro Boston are suburban. See: Lumiere in Newton, Blue Ginger in Wellesley.

Dare I count Kelly's Roast Beef among them?

It's not exactly a culinary capital (unless measured by density of Todd English restaurants) but you can at least get a quality meal.

Back