Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

I really don't mind an influx of restaurants. Anything other than more hotels, surface parking lots and mini parks is fine by me. Right now the area is desolate, and I can't imagine an abundance of dining options hurting it in the long run.

It would be nice to have something other than yet another white or silver Alucobox rising there, but it's the Seaport, so the architectural bar is so low that it's pretty much at the water line.

I'd take another hotel, but I guess that's just me.

Are those Park Lane residences condos, or apartments? And, does anyone actually live in them?

Apts no condos. No idea its occupancy.

Didn't former Park Lane resident Jonathan Papelbon give as his parting opinion of the place: "It's in the middle of nowhere"? Guy is dumb as rocks (FASTBALL! FASTBALL! FASTBALL!), but he's not wrong on this one...

Yeah, with three restaurants.

Legal Seafood will have their top of line restaurant here and supposedly a market below, maybe with food options too.

What's happening with the NoName? Does anyone remember when it was just a diner with nary a tourist in sight?

Legal Seafood will have their top of line restaurant here and supposedly a market below, maybe with food options too.

How many Legal Sea Foods will be in the Seaport at that point? 5?

What's happening with the NoName? Does anyone remember when it was just a diner with nary a tourist in sight?

Yeah, I remember. The catch just off the boat. Simply prepared. Wonderful memories.

No Name is still probably the best place to go to in the area. It's still fairly low key, but I have been there unfortunately when it was mobbed by conventioners (unfortunate for me not the owners.)
Still the best fish chowdah I've ever had.

I went to No Name last Fourth of July and overall wasn't impressed. The prices are good but my partner had the salmon, my mother had the blue fish and I had the swordfish and I think of the three of us, I was the most pleased with the meal, though I did find my fish a bit overcooked.

While I appreciate their desire to keep things simple and not overdress the fish the way they do at other places, just like my mother used to do growing up. I just found that the fish wasn't quite of the same calibre.

I agree. No Name is overhyped. Sort of like In-N-Out burger. People feel like they're in a secret club if they've eaten at these places and that they need to hype their special restaurants. But objectively, neither is that good.

I think the secret is that it's still there. The sign on the wall is literally Best of Boston 1978. It's a cafeteria style place. I went to I think it was Poor Boy's in LA. Same idea. Everyone hyped it like I had to go. Was a cafeteria that made sandiwches, that were ok.

Saying all that, it's still the best place to go in the area (within a 5 minute walk radius). For the price, the food is good not great. Although I really like their swordfish, because they get nice crispy edges on the fish and the portions are right. I had the blue fish and was disappointed.

Still stand by the fish chowder being the best I've had.

Little bit of a "you ain't cool if you think that place is cool" attitude just sprang up here.

Anybody eaten at the lobster place down the street? I think its called yankee lobster? Any good?

Anybody eaten at the lobster place down the street? I think its called yankee lobster? Any good?

I thought it was pretty good - prices were fair and the food was what I expected.

liberty_wharf_2.jpg

liberty_wharf_1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the horizontal emphasis of the upper level windows. The bays near the street gave it more intimacy, but it seems determined to exert a superblock feel despite them. Oh well.

Really? I dig the horizontal emphasis. It's very powerful without feeling like a landscaper. Those bays help break it up, probably. Plus, look at all the depth along the facade - very solid architecture. Huge cause for optimism in the Seaport.

I agree with Ken, it isn't big enough to have the horizontal parts work against it. It is small and intimate in person so it still works as a whole; much nicer and interesting than the ICA IMHO.

It's definitely a new high water mark for the seaport.

Maybe it's a stretch, but the angled bays on the second floor evoke Aalto's Villa Mairea.

I like this a lot, can't wait to see the end result.

And yet, I'm saddened that this is the most excitement we have regarding the entire South Boston Seaport area and this is the bar we're setting for prospective development.

Back