Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

BostonUrbEx said:
And yet, I'm saddened that this is the most excitement we have regarding the entire South Boston Seaport area...

So the ratio is what.. half a dozen Boston Stumps for every decent piece of architecture? Sweet.

Anyway, I'm digging the color pallette on this one; it looks like it really belongs here.

Intimate? What would y'all think of this building if it were on Boylston St.? That's right, it would be a monster.

No, it's still better than most of what goes up on Boylston. Better than that tower at the plaza in front of the Pru, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps Lord & Taylor really just shows this one up. The Mandarin? Way more intimate. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I've got to say this would receive my nomination for one of the "Best Projects 2010" thus far.

Intimate? What would y'all think of this building if it were on Boylston St.? That's right, it would be a monster.

This is finally a well implemented, scaled development for the Seaport. It's not a super block.

Last edited:

today's drive-by!
244-2.jpg
245.jpg
246-1.jpg
248-1.jpg
251-1.jpg

This building is a great addition to the area. I think the design is excellent for a waterfront project. Anyone know how the leasing is going?

here are the restaurants:

East Building - Legal Sea Foods 18,000 sq. ft. (combination fish market, restaurant & private event space)

West Building
Remy's - 200-seat 5,000 s.f., December opening 1st floor
ZED451 - steakhouse
a Mexican restaurant - 200-seat with Beard award winner Todd Hall, December opening 1st floor

sources:
http://boston.grubstreet.com/2010/05/jerry_remys_and_upscale_mexica.html
http://www.realestatebostonblog.com...arf-in-bostons-seaport-district-district.html

Last edited:

Is that wood cladding left over from Louis or the Carpenter's hall? Seems to be popping up a bit now.

ICA-inspired design. I'm a fan, though I would love to see it done on a smaller scale.

Started over at the Harvard Grad Housing, no? Someone mentioned it was like Alucobond over in the Netherlands (in terms of use as a design crutch). I like it though.

Wood's being used all over town, but the ICA inspiration is to combine it with bluish glass. The Community Rowing and North Allston Library use it almost exclusively, and Harvard uses it with brick.

It seems to me that the few buildings attempting to be humane/human-scaled in the Seaport have been, oddly enough, taking stylistic cues from the wood and glass Fan Pier sales pavilion.

Interesting observation, briv. I agree, pretty much -- the pavilion would make a nice bachelor pad.

I prefer this Mies to this Mies.

Interesting observation, briv. I agree, pretty much -- the pavilion would make a nice bachelor pad.

I prefer this Mies to this Mies.

The only think wrong with Seagrams was that everyone tried to do a shitty knock off around it, thereby ruining the effect.

But I do agree with your statement.

The only think wrong with Seagrams was that everyone tried to do a shitty knock off around it, thereby ruining the effect.

And in that, Miesian Modernism shares a downside with Quentin Tarantino, serial music, and graffiti.

I love Mies. All of his work. On the lifetime to-do list, is to live in a Mies building. Lake Shore Drive, maybe? That Barcelona Pavillion is a wonder, too.

And in that, Miesian Modernism shares a downside with Quentin Tarantino, serial music, and graffiti.
Are people doing Quentin Tarantino knock-offs?

Shame on them; they'll never get it right.

Like trying to do a knock-off of Mahler. Impossible.

You can't do a knock-off of something that's already so eclectic.

The genius is in the assembly.

^^I dunno. I thought Go was actually a pretty decent flick in it's own right and a lot of people called that a knock off.

Are people doing Quentin Tarantino knock-offs?

Most of Guy Richie's films are McTarantino. Their "Britishness" makes them seem less so. Actually, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is pretty brilliant.

Like trying to do a knock-off of Mahler. Impossible.

If you're at all curious about what this might sound like, check out David Del Tredichi's music. (His brother Peter lectures at the GSD).

The genius is in the assembly.

I wish I could find the quote by Richard Wagner on the art of writing transitions (in the context of musical composition).

Back