Local Politics Thread

Everything is being manufactured in China. Apple iPhones, intel chips, Nike sneakers.
All the call centers are coming from India concerning banking.

Cheap labor, no healthcare,—-

Did you see bush and Clinton cringe when this guy talks.
Both Bush’s , Clinton, Obama all parties sold out the American taxpaying citizen and their people for corporate profits.

This is part of the reason for the serious gap in income inequality.
Factor in all the tax incentives/breaks that the corporations swindle on prime real estate as our elected officials call it creation of jobs but is really a land grab on prime property.

Factor in all the money printing, bailouts, stimulus packages to the unions, welfare recipients,

The sad part is I don’t even think Ross Perot thought we would let it get this bad.

And some more uninformed populist rants.

I do think income inequality is a problem, but I think it stems from things like lack of access to higher education or better job reeducation. I don't think international trade worsens inequality like you think it does.

Anyway back to local politics.

blaming specifically international capitalists rather than the class system as a whole is such a mistake.

I didn't realize Ross Perot and trade policy were "local politics"

The reality on how local politics plays into the development situation in around Boston.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-adv-investor-visas-20151127-story.html

God for bid if they are serial killers who can afford 500+K to buy a U.S. Property which entitles them to U.S. citizenship.

All the locals are getting forced out by more bad deals by local politicians giving unlimited tax incentives and breaks to global corporations for prime property in the Seaport which is then driving up real estate prices and gridlock traffic around Boston and the community of towns..

The American tax dollars have funded 100's of millions in infrastructure costs in the Seaport. WHY WOULD WE GIVE THIS PRICELESS LAND AWAY?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/08/investing/china-eb5-visa-trend/index.html

"Wealthy Chinese citizens have been falling over themselves to participate in the EB-5 program, which makes immigrants eligible to apply for a green card if they invest over $500,000 in a project that creates U.S. jobs. "

Last edited:
The reality on how local politics plays into the development situation in around Boston.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-adv-investor-visas-20151127-story.html

God for bid if they are serial killers who can afford 500+K to buy a U.S. Property which entitles them to U.S. citizenship.

All the locals are getting forced out by more bad deals by local politicians giving unlimited tax incentives and breaks to global corporations for prime property in the Seaport which is then driving up real estate prices and gridlock traffic around Boston and the community of towns..

The American tax dollars have funded 100's of millions in infrastructure costs in the Seaport. WHY WOULD WE GIVE THIS PRICELESS LAND AWAY?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/08/investing/china-eb5-visa-trend/index.html

"Wealthy Chinese citizens have been falling over themselves to participate in the EB-5 program, which makes immigrants eligible to apply for a green card if they invest over $500,000 in a project that creates U.S. jobs. "

1 million dollars if we're talking about Boston.

And those rich international investors create jobs

1 million dollars if we're talking about Boston.

And those rich international investors create jobs

So even if the International Millionaire is a serial killer we grant him U.S. Citizenship because he has a million dollars to purchase a property.

Really Create jobs? I have lived in Boston my whole life since the early 70's---I have always had a job.

These types of deals now are forcing local Bostonian family's to push out to more affordable areas like Worcester/springfield/New Bedford or into the lower class.

Not only through the destruction of our currency that they are destroying the American middle class but these types of Global deals along with all these corporate tax incentives they are swindling prime property and their is only a selected few profiting from these types of deals.
which is causing a massive INCOME INEQUALITY problem in our country.

So even if the International Millionaire is a serial killer we grant him U.S. Citizenship because he has a million dollars to purchase a property.

As usual, you're embarrassingly wrong. Do some research on the EB5 visa program before you start spouting off nonsense.

Who is selling the land though? I agree that neoliberal globalization has massive destabilizing effects and one aspect of it, gentrification, displaces whole communities. But you only seem to want to blame those buying it, which still in vast majority is rich suburbanites btw, and their moving into the city is no less displacing than the foreign members of the same class. You are missing the actual issue, which is based in the contradictions between use and exchange value in land and property, for a nationalist explanation, focused only on a small part of a systemic problem. Xenophobia is easy but your enemy isn't the foreigner it is the capitalist social order.

Seaport construction is not displacing anyone, other then Whisky Priest. Plus i'm sure that the Seaport as a whole generates lots of tax revenue, I can only think of three companies out of hundreds moving in who have gotten sizable tax breaks.

Seaport is a massive investment in construction that benefits a very small group of people and absolutely will contribute to the gentrification of the rest of southie, which will and has absolutely included displacement. Seaport is basically trickle down infrastructure, rather than investing in sorely lacking transportation infrastructure for existing communities or expanding affordable housing the city gives tax breaks and incentives to build upscale offices and luxury condos. It is literally marketed as an "innovation district" the whole principle of which is a top down view of city development. Why limit it to seaport though?

Seaport is a massive investment in construction that benefits a very small group of people and absolutely will contribute to the gentrification of the rest of southie, which will and has absolutely included displacement. Seaport is basically trickle down infrastructure, rather than investing in sorely lacking transportation infrastructure for existing communities or expanding affordable housing the city gives tax breaks and incentives to build upscale offices and luxury condos. It is literally marketed as an "innovation district" the whole principle of which is a top down view of city development. Why limit it to seaport though?

BINGO-- Well worded. WHY LIMIT THIS JUST TO THE SEAPORT GROUP. Either spread the wealth or don't at all.

The city/state officials have been utter failures at investing or understanding the needs of the taxpayers (Infrastructure/Transportation) Those are solid investments not giving Amazon, Liberty Mutual, GE tax incentives.
Or creating another tax called BID for the downtown businesses as we continue to cater to the SEAPORT district corporations.

The political dealings in the SEAPORT are driving up Real Estate prices in and around Boston at this point which is forcing out fixed income local residents out.

Last edited:
I don't even agree that the seaport only benefits a small group of people.

Jobs for construction, jobs for service workers, jobs in the offices. It's good for everyone except for people with jealousy issues.

WHY LIMIT Tax breaks/incentives to certain GROUPs in the city. Either spread the wealth or don't at all.
Amazon
Vertex
Fallon (developer)
Liberty Mutual (Backbay)
Millennium group (Downtown)
JPM
Then create new taxes on the successful private businesses called BID in the downtown. (This just suppresses those businesses to actually hire more people)

Its like the basic taxpayer has given 100's of Millions to build out infrastructure in the Seaport and made the property priceless only for the corporations to continue to downsize their risk by receiving more tax breaks and incentives to build on priceless property.
This is on our politicians. "Then they call this job creation"? Then give everybody tax breaks to boost the local economies.

Last edited:
Thinking centralized development districts benefit the whole city is just buying into the geographic equivalent of trickle down, especially when that new "tax base" was given tax breaks to go there in the first place.

Anyone else think it's crazy how a guy with 114 priors was allowed to post bail?

I figure this is the best thread for the inquiry I’d like to make:

I’m a delegate to the GOP state convention next week. I’m going to bug some of the candidates about transit matters, so I figured I’d ask you guys if there’s any specific transit issues you guys think are most important (I figure transit is the area where I have the least disagreement with about 70% of this forum, haha).

I’ll probably just be cribbing ideas from that paper TransitMatters did awhile back, but if anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears.

I’m a delegate to the GOP state convention next week. I’m going to bug some of the candidates about transit matters, so I figured I’d ask you guys if there’s any specific transit issues you guys think are most important (I figure transit is the area where I have the least disagreement with about 70% of this forum, haha).

I’ll probably just be cribbing ideas from that paper TransitMatters did awhile back, but if anyone has any other ideas, I’m all ears.

Thank you for having an open mind to ideas and opinions.
Massive Investment into TRANSIT to help relieve Traffic and Transportation issues. I would even consider being taxed for having a car yearly to get amazing vision concerning this.

#1 I'm not sure if its possible but expanding the hardrails as far as we can stretch through Mass. Orange, Blue, Green, Red--
#2 Upgrade the purple lines with upgradeable cars. (running on weekdays and weekends)
#3 Energy self-efficient Tracks & rails used with solar along with electric to help with weather issues. Update hardrail cars
#4 MBTA (Get control of the pension & healthcare scenario)

#5 Outside the box: Possibly unrealistic:
A new massive underground highway shuttle train shoots right into the city from NewBedford, Lowell, Worcester, Springfield locations

#6 Seaport---Needs HELP--Not sure on this--Underground expansion would make sense but not sure if its even possible.

Some ideas. THINK BIG and EFFICIENTLY SMART
If we invest 25 Billion in Transit infrastructure make sure its self-sufficient in the long-term so it wouldn't add continuing costs overtime. (Needs to be accountability who is overseeing the this type infrastructure overhaul)

Good luck.

Last edited:

I think some cost effective improvements could be more widespread bus lanes and transit priority for buses. I also think that the NSRL should be a priority for future expansions beyond the GLX. Basically mention the increased capacity and other benefits of the NSRL.

Lastly some improvements for the Silver Line. Guided Busways is one improvement especially on the tunnel portion. Of course traffic light priority. And another idea that I have would be to make the pike entrance off of Transportation Way/Jeffries Street bus only.

Also a improvement that would cost no money would be converting the state police entrance back to Silver Line use that it was designed for.

Also they should cut back on the crazy police details that this state has.

Back