044BD836-FE10-4A45-B993-225968787DD3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
  • 11A6C64E-E529-495E-854C-A162B7E1E27D.jpeg
    11A6C64E-E529-495E-854C-A162B7E1E27D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
  • B72F414C-D94C-419D-852C-5E8098D96C8A.jpeg
    B72F414C-D94C-419D-852C-5E8098D96C8A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 200
Thrilled to see the construction progress and the renders. Should be a much appreciated and needed upgrade over the current facility. Does anyone know of the extent of work to occur in the existing Term E? Would be nice if the existing facility were brought up to a higher standard, especially the airside.

Does anyone know of the extent of work to occur in the existing Term E? Would be nice if the existing facility were brought up to a higher standard, especially the airside.

Is this a joke?

The Terminal E expansion will see the relocation of the security clearance, ultimately emptying you to between Gates E12 and E-13. Airside, I cannot think of much else that can be done to spruce up the existing facility... except maybe new Lounges for BA and AirFrance, and Customs (that latter of which is included in the expansion project). Based on other airports I've visited--domestic and international--I actually think the renovations of recent years to Terminal E's existing facility (+ the A380 gates they put in) are top notch. Ample places to comfortably sit and charge your devices; excellent restaurants with a flair for local cuisine; big duty-free shopping area; modern restroom facilities.

The airside of E, aside from the A-380 gates, were pretty similar to what I recalled from flying out of them in the early 90s. The commercial stalls had changed, but the hold areas were almost untouched.

Looks like, based on the renders anyways, only 2 of the 4 new gates will have dual jet bridges. I thought all 4 were supposed to have them?

Hopefully phase 2 of the E expansion will happen quickly after this phase is done.

It would be kind of a waste seeing that the A380 is not being made anymore after the last few orders are delivered and airlines are retiring them as fast as they can for much cheaper twin engine planes.

I was thinking about the existing hold areas specifically. The new A380 gates are indeed very nice, but the remainder of the existing gates are pretty old. I've been to many of the big Asian hubs, and Terminal E is quite sad by comparison, still feels like a relic from an earlier era. I realize that old facilities are typical for many American airports, but certainly Boston deserves something better than an international gateway that is only half modern. That, and the cobbled together appearance of having different facades from different periods of time does not give the impression of being a top-tier facility or make for a good first impression for those arriving in Boston for the first time. I was just curious if there were a detailed Massport document showing all of the renovations in depth.

Last edited:
There isn't an airport in the US that is on the level as say Hong Kong, or Incheon, or even really close to it.

Massport has a small footprint to work with and by and large, have done a pretty solid job. It would be nice to see them renovate the existing main E terminal (not the gates between C and E and also the E10-12 area.

I've been flying out of Logan since the late 80's. HUGE improvement in Logan since then. My only gripe is the lack of a consistent architectural theme across all the terminals. There doesn't seem to be much effort to integrate them into a common visual language of some sort. Maybe people like that. I just wish there was some architectural feature or design idea that was carried out in each terminal for a consistent whole. However, all the facilities are light years ahead of the old Eastern Terminal where I used to take the shuttle to NYC. I think you could even park in that building.

Sometime in the early 90's there was a scheme to make the central parking facility a huge "transportation hall" with direct Blue Line subway service. There was a central atrium and each terminal had a consistent connection to the central transportation hall. I think the design firm was SOM, and it was just a concept............BUT, I do remember Massport had huge drawings displayed in the hallway between Terminal B and C for several months.

The old Eastern Terminal was cool as a kid in the 80’s even when it was a little worse for the wear.

the curvey red roof is dope AF
One of the bigger concerns I have with it is actually how it'll stand up over time. At least in automotive paints, red has a reputation as the paint color that fades the quickest. I hope they've accounted for that in the maintenance plans.

One of the bigger concerns I have with it is actually how it'll stand up over time. At least in automotive paints, red has a reputation as the paint color that fades the quickest. I hope they've accounted for that in the maintenance plans.

I'd kinda assumed that the red would get VE'd out of it somehow... Is color expensive?

Back