Logan Airport Capital Projects

I'm willing to bet that it's because there's no passenger friendly way to get down to or up from the ramp, or for a bus to actually pull up. Since the advent of the jetbridge Logan never really had ground stands, beyond that for prop regionals like metroliners and 1900s, but I would be willing to bet passenger ramp access was never provisioned into terminals A or E. It'd be an investment to reconfigure the holdrooms, punch through the wall and basically shim in a new gate with a ramp or other structure to get passengers down to the ramp. The terminal shuttle buses I'm most familiar with is Uniteds at Newark and those at LAX where they basically built out a full gate for the thing with exterior stairs bus berths, shelters and elevators, or a rather long switchback ramp. I don't think there's room for that at Logan. As such, you'd basically have to give up a gate in both terminals, and kinda do what Cape Air is doing.

I'm told that the Cape Air / Boutique boarding experience is a particularly unglamorous affair involving a slightly perilous climb down the stairs on the side of a jetbridge. Mind you, I've never done it myself, but I suspect it's a lot easier to sell that for 9 people climbing into a Cessna to Martha's Vineyard, or for someone getting the Delta porsche transfer experience, rather than people expecting to get to their international widebody business class seat - especially since they'd have to climb up again.

*Edit: I also realized this just now: unlike a lot of other airports like Newark, Logan doesn't have a separated airside service road, outside from a short stretch at Terminal E. The Logan roads are such that they run around the outer edge of the terminal footprints, such that any shuttle would basically would constantly be stuck waiting for aircraft.
Terminal E definitely has some gate locations with access down to bus pull-ups at tarmac level. They used to get used for remote parked aircraft at peak PM departure times.

But the lack of an air-side service road could be a huge problem with access for a bus from A to E. Although don't baggage carts have an access pattern that would suffer the same issue. Bags do get transferred TO international flights (though not from).

Terminal E definitely has some gate locations with access down to bus pull-ups at tarmac level. They used to get used for remote parked aircraft at peak PM departure times.

But the lack of an air-side service road could be a huge problem with access for a bus from A to E. Although don't baggage carts have an access pattern that would suffer the same issue. Bags do get transferred TO international flights (though not from).
I believe you recheck your bag in E for any domestic connections.

I believe you recheck your bag in E for any domestic connections.
I was talking about bag transfer for outbound international service. If you come in on Delta to Terminal A from a domestic location, doesn't you bag transfer to your international flight from Terminal E?

I was talking about bag transfer for outbound international service. If you come in on Delta to Terminal A from a domestic location, doesn't you bag transfer to your international flight from Terminal E?
In my experience yes your bag transfers without you doing anything

Yes. It's no different than through-tagged bags connecting from Delta to Air France, Virgin Atlantic, have been handled in the past.

Yes. It's no different than through-tagged bags connecting from Delta to Air France, Virgin Atlantic, have been handled in the past.
So the point I was making is if there is an air side route that works for timely transfer of bags via baggage carts, the same route could be used by an air side connecting bus service.

So the point I was making is if there is an air side route that works for timely transfer of bags via baggage carts, the same route could be used by an air side connecting bus service.

I'm sure it couldn't be accommodated in existing terminals, but an airside train between the terminals doesn't need to be underground or even particularly ambitious. Honolulu had buses drive on the roof. Disney put a people mover in a hallway inside a building:

239FB99A-673D-4285-B897-C474159028DB.jpeg
365EE61A-400D-4666-BB14-A62A6DE32827.jpeg
27DEFA35-6D2B-4245-9A7A-BE58F0B2E91F.jpeg

The new E addition is coming along! Loving the red, and damn, it’s awesome to see BA’s A380 return to service at Logan.

Great shots, @atlantaden ! I love the red too, and I can't get over how visible it is from anywhere on the waterfront downtown and in the Seaport. I'm happy to see the A380 back at BOS too. There was a chunk of time where I didn't think we would.

I'm loving how it's turning out, except for the little gate pop-outs. Those things will be screaming the age of the building in no time.

I'm loving how it's turning out, except for the little gate pop-outs. Those things will be screaming the age of the building in no time.

In the sense that the materials will age? They look like pretty standard vertical circulation architecturally.

"There's only one thing missing from my fantacyland, Ralph, just one thing. The world of tomorrow. I have nothing from the world of tomorrow." I'm still holding my breath. With the first remodeling in the late '90's, there was supposed to be a People Mover planned & included. Never happened! Now with THIS one, theree's supposed to be one. Don't think that it's coming this time either! I'm from Missouri. You got to prove it to me. It was a pipe dream back then, it's a pipe dream now. They'll still be using those "stuck-in-traffic buses forever!! :unsure:

In the sense that the materials will age? They look like pretty standard vertical circulation architecturally.

The materials, putting a frame around the whole thing, and the rounded edges. In my view it's somewhere between cheap retro and a first year student discovers that the fillet tool makes renders look like the ones on low-effort Instagram pages, while the rest of the project has a much more refined language and style.

With the re-located entrance to E it will probably be even quicker that it was before construction to walk from the Blue Line than take the Massport Shuttle. It would be nice if they spruced up the North Cargo frontages and made that walk slightly more pleasant.

With the re-located entrance to E it will probably be even quicker that it was before construction to walk from the Blue Line than take the Massport Shuttle. It would be nice if they spruced up the North Cargo frontages and made that walk slightly more pleasant.

I don't think they ended up moving the entrance. They proposed it at one point, but the new wing is all gates and lounges. The ticketing hall will be the same.

I don't think they ended up moving the entrance. They proposed it at one point, but the new wing is all gates and lounges. The ticketing hall will be the same.

Yeah, the only real change will be the security checkpoint will be moving into the new expansion and will be much larger than the existing one.

Back