Logan Airport Capital Projects

Landed last night at E14 and let me tell you, it is an absolute hike to get to customs from there. It's just one really long and relatively narrow corridor. No pics, because I was in a hurry, but there's noting aesthetically stunning about the space, save for the wall of windows on your left.

Look inside Boston Logan Airport's new international Terminal E extension - The Points Guy

A lot of photos from the expansion. You can see how large the new security check point is going to be - much bigger than the existing one. You can also see some retail/food that has yet to open. Legal Seafood, Sal's Pizza, Peet's Coffee and Boston Harbor Distillery.

Also, never ceases to amaze me how much perfume is for sale at duty free shops.

The best kept secret at Logan is the security checkpoint between Terminals C and E. If you get there before the international crowds get in, you can be through in two minutes (with PreCheck).

The best kept secret at Logan is the security checkpoint between Terminals C and E. If you get there before the international crowds get in, you can be through in two minutes (with PreCheck).
Isn’t it not open all the time?

from: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08...uiet-opening-week-logans-expanded-terminal-e/

1692411960088.png

1692412002919.png

Meh. Looks as cold and sterile as every other airport. I still think what KPF came up with would have been a better option.

It's not that I don't like it, but KPF's design is concept-phase and for a version of the project they didn't build (with a check-in area and such). You could have ported over the timber style, but layout-wise it never would have been built.

It's not that I don't like it, but KPF's design is concept-phase and for a version of the project they didn't build (with a check-in area and such). You could have ported over the timber style, but layout-wise it never would have been built.

Oh I know. It also probably would’ve cost a few hundred million more to build but imho it was a better concept and a more appealing aesthetic. It wouldn’t have looked like every other airport in the world inside.

Flying out of C this morning but took a walk over to the new E addition. Very impressed though I wish they had added glass Jetways. Also curious how the final addition/gates (postponed due to COVID) will be added. Having said all that, it’s a colorful, nice space with lots of new restaurants in the process of being built out.
IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1257.jpeg
IMG_1258.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1260.jpeg
IMG_1261.jpeg
IMG_1262.jpeg
IMG_1263.jpeg
IMG_1266.jpeg
IMG_1267.jpeg
IMG_1268.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg

Last edited:
Also curious how the final addition/gates (postponed due to COVID) will be added.

I was wondering about this too so I looked around for renders or models of what the full build terminal looks like vs what we have now and it looks pretty straight forward.

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

Compared to the google earth image you can see that so far theyve just built up to the yellow line and that the intricate roof folds flatten out by that point. The last 3 gates that they have to add on later are just a rectangle shaped addition with a couple skylights, nothing too complicated. It’s going to be a pretty straight forward addition when the time comes to finish the extension since they got the complex portion of the building out of the way.

Nice view of the Seaport too! I see three tower cranes. The parcel across from the Convention Center is the far left. What are the two on the right? Amazon?

Great pictures - especially that last one with the BA and Lufthansa A380's. Is there any thread on ArchBoston for Logan plane-spotting?

This image posted above sure shows a lot of wasted space in front of Terminal E. The airport shouldn't have a surface parking lot in the main terminal area in my opinion. There seems to be enough room for a another hotel. I wonder if that was ever considered?

1694376513110.png

This image posted above sure shows a lot of wasted space in front of Terminal E. The airport shouldn't have a surface parking lot in the main terminal area in my opinion. There seems to be enough room for a another hotel. I wonder if that was ever considered?

View attachment 42596
I've heard stuff that the lot is going to be going away. I don't know exactly what is going to replace it but I would not be surprised if it were a hotel.

View attachment 42596
I've heard stuff that the lot is going to be going away. I don't know exactly what is going to replace it but I would not be surprised if it were a hotel.
At least the lot in front of the "original" Terminal E was slated to become a parking garage in 2019, before it, economy garage expansion, and Phase II of the Terminal E expansion were canceled in the early days of the pandemic. Though, I do believe it's back in the CIP for construction next year.

1000013219.jpg

1000013221.jpg

1000013223.jpg

Interestingly, the parking lot in front of the expansion, what is now the cell phone lot, actually used to be a hotel. Up until the Hilton was built in 1999 to replace it, it was a Ramada Inn. However, I would be extremely surprised if the ca 1997 concession agreement to build that Hilton didn't have *some* sort of exclusivity agreement with Massport regarding competing hotels in the terminal area - the Hyatt by the harbor presumably doesn't count.
1000013246.jpg

Photo ca1970, first arrival of the Concorde; it is surprisingly hard to find photos of Logan from the 80s and 90s.

Last edited:

Back