Logan Airport Capital Projects

What are these boarded areas? The spot where a second jet bridge will eventually go?

1699668687826.png

Nice interior photos of terminal E in the article. Snipped one as an example ...

View attachment 44556
The signs pointing to E13-16 and E1-12 are great, and will probably be very noticeable from the new security checkpoint which appears to be where this was taken from. However, coming from the old checkpoint, I didn't even notice this in person.

Flipping through my latest edition of ENR this AM and noticed that B to C Connector won New England Project of the year in the Airport Category.

The signs pointing to E13-16 and E1-12 are great, and will probably be very noticeable from the new security checkpoint which appears to be where this was taken from. However, coming from the old checkpoint, I didn't even notice this in person.

Isn't that where it will matter? I think the old checkpoint will close, and logically the gates would keep getting higher in number the further you walk. The new checkpoint meets the concourse in the middle, hence the need for the signage...

One also assumes they did that signage in a way that's easy to update, since of course the concourse won't stop at E16 in the full build. It actually looks like the panels break between the 1 and the 6, which is the worst place to do it since the gates will be numbered up to E20, necessitating the replacement of the 1 as well.

Isn't that where it will matter? I think the old checkpoint will close, and logically the gates would keep getting higher in number the further you walk. The new checkpoint meets the concourse in the middle, hence the need for the signage...

One also assumes they did that signage in a way that's easy to update, since of course the concourse won't stop at E16 in the full build. It actually looks like the panels break between the 1 and the 6, which is the worst place to do it since the gates will be numbered up to E20, necessitating the replacement of the 1 as well.
Hopefully it's just a heavy-duty decal (sticker) that can be scraped off and replaced for the '2 0' a few years down the road.

1000009896.jpg
1000009895.jpg
1000009887.jpg
1000009889.jpg
1000009893.jpg
1000009891.jpg

Little spare time in E today.

For the architectural engineers, what's the deal with all these little pillars everywhere (second to last picture) there's probably 15-20 of them I saw scattered around. Ventilation?

Wandered the new security checkpoint area, they were testing out the scanners and setting up the ID desks, it looks very close to open.

View attachment 45593View attachment 45594View attachment 45595View attachment 45596View attachment 45597View attachment 45598

Little spare time in E today.

For the architectural engineers, what's the deal with all these little pillars everywhere (second to last picture) there's probably 15-20 of them I saw scattered around. Ventilation?

Wandered the new security checkpoint area, they were testing out the scanners and setting up the ID desks, it looks very close to open.

They're perforated, which suggests ventilation (or they're big speakers...)

View attachment 45597

Not an engineer or an architect but that thing is a "free standing displacement diffuser" - because airports have such high ceilings they're not going to use ceiling vents, but instead release conditioned air in the "breathing zone" allowing hot air to rise to the ceiling. There probably wasn't any wall nearby so they had to put a free standing one in to get the airflow right. Basically, if you're in an airport or an extra large building like that, you'll find lots of fixed things, check-in counters that have odd amounts of metal grating - see metal grating, assume displacement diffuser. (Some spaces you'll see use jet nozzles)

The Globe reviews Terminal E:

I flew out and back into Terminal E in November. A lot of it is nicely upgraded. But the entry sequence through customs continues to be really awful. It's dark, with very low ceilings, and the signage isn't great. The ceilings probably aren't going to change, but a good clean and paint and lighting/signage upgrades would be welcome. It's definitely not saying Welcome to anyone arriving.

I flew out and back into Terminal E in November. A lot of it is nicely upgraded. But the entry sequence through customs continues to be really awful. It's dark, with very low ceilings, and the signage isn't great. The ceilings probably aren't going to change, but a good clean and paint and lighting/signage upgrades would be welcome. It's definitely not saying Welcome to anyone arriving.
According to the Massport Board Meeting Presentation from March 2023 (slide 45), Terminal E Phase 1B improvements are funded and include enhancement of the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Area among other improvements. Slide copied below for reference. This feels like kind of an oversight in the Globe article that these improvements are committed to and being made, never mind the fact that it's also completely lost on the average article commenter about needed improvements to other parts of Terminal E. Hopefully investigative journalists and media outlets can improve communicating this information to the general public.

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 12.23.47 PM.png

According to the Massport Board Meeting Presentation from March 2023 (slide 45), Terminal E Phase 1B improvements are funded and include enhancement of the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Area among other improvements. Slide copied below for reference. This feels like kind of an oversight in the Globe article that these improvements are committed to and being made, never mind the fact that it's also completely lost on the average article commenter about needed improvements to other parts of Terminal E. Hopefully investigative journalists and media outlets can improve communicating this information to the general public.

View attachment 45654
This is good to see, thanks for sharing! I suppose the Globe was covering what was finished but I agree that some info about future projects would have been a good addition.

Nice touch with the plane engine shaped luggage scanners. That security ingress is still work in progress:

View attachment 47238
They're from Analogic (based in Peabody), and they're going into airports all over the country as standard equipment. I've seen them in BDL starting a year or two ago.

I'm not sure it's even Logan's choice what type of equipment to use there, since it seems they're purchased directly by the TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/rele...-procure-additional-ct-x-ray-scanners-airport

Which is to say - I too like the design theme, but I also suspect it had very little relevance to the decision of what equipment to put there.

Reactions: W-4

Back