Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

JetBlue adding seasonal summer service to the following destinations from Logan.

Martha's Vineyard - daily

Port Au Prince, Haiti - Wed/Sat
(gains back an international destination served by American in the past)

Sacramento - 4 weekly

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/02/11/jetblue/6IyqjrcKE5oKGEQN1caeZM/story.html

Didn't see the Sacramento flight coming but there's no other non-stop competition and you do not have to open a new station so its worth a shot.

Also - sounds like Sacramento wanted this one: http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...mento-airport-to-have-nonstop-flights-to.html

http://airline-update.com/2014-busiest-airports-in-the-world-by-passenger-traffic/

Based on these numbers, Logan was the 53rd busiest airport in the world during 2014 with just over 31.6 million passengers. Logan also sits at 18 busiest airport in the US during 2014. Logan also saw one of the biggest jumps in passengers numbers during 2014 beating airports like Detroit, Atlanta, Denver, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami and Houstin - Intercontinental in that regard.

It is disappointing that JetBlue still isn't serving the Midwest (Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Omaha, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, etc.) and instead thinks it is better to add some very seasonal routes ex-BOS. I suppose it is lower cost because they already operate routes like SMF out of JFK, but still. When will we see JetBlue start to fill in the map from BOS?

It is disappointing that JetBlue still isn't serving the Midwest (Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Omaha, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, etc.) and instead thinks it is better to add some very seasonal routes ex-BOS. I suppose it is lower cost because they already operate routes like SMF out of JFK, but still. When will we see JetBlue start to fill in the map from BOS?

Obvious answer: It's not cost, it's profit. I'm skeptical that there is a lot of unserved demand from Boston to most of those, and entering the bigger markets you mentioned is usually going to be directly competing against some other airline's flight.

JetBlue is going to fly non-stop flights to Cleveland. Flights start April 30.

I would agree though that the Midwest is lacking in their network. They just added Daytona Beach to their network, yet another Florida city.

Obvious answer: It's not cost, it's profit. I'm skeptical that there is a lot of unserved demand from Boston to most of those, and entering the bigger markets you mentioned is usually going to be directly competing against some other airline's flight.

They had their chance on Kansas City and whiffed. Indy and Milwaukee (see below) are 2-carrier markets now. Omaha is too small. There's potential in a city not listed though: Louisville. It could make a good E-190 route similar to Savannah and Charleston.

Also Delta just loaded 6 weekly (no Saturday) Boston-Milwaukee starting in June. The schedule leans toward the Milwaukee originating traveler with the morning flight starting there.

SATA has also increased frequencies to Lisbon and Terceira to two weeklies each for the summer.

Another domestic addition:
Spirit Airlines will start daily Boston-Atlanta service on September 10, 2015.
They are also starting Cleveland, Detroit and Las Vegas on April 16, 2015.

Too bad for JetBlue.

JetBlue adding seasonal summer service to the following destinations from Logan.

Martha's Vineyard - daily

Doesn't Jet Blue already code share with cape air to Martha's vineyard? Are they going to be adding capacity to cape air or using their own jets?

Doesn't Jet Blue already code share with cape air to Martha's vineyard? Are they going to be adding capacity to cape air or using their own jets?

Just interline connections bookable on Jetblue's website and it will be with their own planes.

Another domestic addition:
Spirit Airlines will start daily Boston-Atlanta service on September 10, 2015.
They are also starting Cleveland, Detroit and Las Vegas on April 16, 2015.

Too bad for JetBlue.

I wouldn't rule out Atlanta yet but this surely doesn't help.

In the recent edition of Business Traveler, I read an interview with the CEO of China Air (out of Taipei) indicating that Boston and Houston were the two North American routes they plan on adding next. Hardly writ in stone, of course, but clearly Boston is getting a lot of love from Asia these days.

Wow, I'd been thinking that Korean would try adding flights to Seoul before BOS would end up with flights to Shanghai.

Looks like Southwest is also adding daily non-stop flights to Columbus, in addition to the flights to Indianapolis. They just released their schedule through October and the Columbus flights were included. Wonder if this may spell the end of Akron flights?

Looks like Southwest is also adding daily non-stop flights to Columbus, in addition to the flights to Indianapolis. They just released their schedule through October and the Columbus flights were included. Wonder if this may spell the end of Akron flights?
Akron (CAK) is an AirTran holdover market (and meets the 1m+ pop min for Southwest's plans. 700k official census, but easy acces to 300k more on the fringes of PIT and CLE) If it has lasted this far, I don't see a big need to cut it.

Akron (CAK) is an AirTran holdover market (and meets the 1m+ pop min for Southwest's plans. 700k official census, but easy acces to 300k more on the fringes of PIT and CLE) If it has lasted this far, I don't see a big need to cut it.

I agree with this. Akron is probably going to stay unless Southwest starts Cleveland or Pittsburgh, which I feel is unlikely.

Massport has posted the January 2015 numbers for Logan

Total Passengers: 2,108,046 (up 4.6% over January 2014)
Total International Passengers: 346,604 (up 19.1% over January 2014)
Total Domestic Passengers: 1,756,318 (up 2.1% over January 2014)

Average load to Europe: 197 passengers
Average load to Asia: 169 passengers
Average load to Middle East: 271 passengers
Average load on Copa: 108 passengers

Back