Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Does any other US city have more non-stop flights to different German cities? We'll have FRA, MUC, CGN and now DUS.

NYC doesn't have CGN that I could find, but does have TXL. Does NYC have a fifth city direct?

I don't believe NYC will have service to 5 cities in Germany. They have Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf and Berlin. Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin has service to both JFK and Newark, while Dusseldorf only has service to Newark.

Does any other US city have more non-stop flights to different German cities? We'll have FRA, MUC, CGN and now DUS.

NYC doesn't have CGN that I could find, but does have TXL. Does NYC have a fifth city direct?

Newark-Hamburg - I consider EWR a NYC airport.

Delta does Stuttgart-Atlanta along with the usual suspects (Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf) so ATL has 4

Miami has 4 too Air Berlin (Berlin/Dusseldorf) and Lufthansa (Frankfurt/Munich)

Fenway -- when Berlin finally gets their new / renewed airport done*1 -- there should be a BOS to BER*1 flight on some airline

Berlin is becoming a major technical economy region*3

• 1 -- 2018 to 2019 at current planning -- kinda the German Big Dig in terms of cost and delay
  • 2 -- Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt
  • 3 -- 6 million inhabitants, projected 27 million annual passengers with Air Berlin, Germanwings and easyJet as leading carriers

I'm really happy for all these new flight connections at Logan, but Massport really needs to upgrade the arrival experience. Since October, I've flown into Logan from Hong Kong, Amsterdam, and just last night........Zurich. The arrival into terminal E at Logan is dark, and really old and crummy looking. No glass or "showcasing" Boston as a great destination. Heck, even Budapest and Bucharest airports that I arrived at recently had very pleasant custom and luggage experiences.

Once you get past customs and luggage, the "New" terminal E is fine. However, that first experience is not a great architectural expression! It feels like you are arriving at some third world country instead of the "World Class" city we all know that Boston has become.

This. Terminal E needs a desperate update throughout. From gates, to food choices to airline lounges. I think Terminal A and C are better designed than E, and that is a shame given the number of international flights we receive. They need to somehow expand and redesign the whole terminal. It's expensive and will take a while, but it's about time. The only thing I like about Terminal E are the self-serve passport kiosks. That area looks great.

This. Terminal E needs a desperate update throughout. From gates, to food choices to airline lounges. I think Terminal A and C are better designed than E, and that is a shame given the number of international flights we receive. They need to somehow expand and redesign the whole terminal. It's expensive and will take a while, but it's about time. The only thing I like about Terminal E are the self-serve passport kiosks. That area looks great.

Carpet -- suggest that rather than rehashing recent developments that you review this thread

A lot of things are happening with respect to Terminal E not just more international flights

Who flys BOS-CGN I can't find it. I think Berlin is a hole that will get filled eventually.

Who flys BOS-CGN I can't find it. I think Berlin is a hole that will get filled eventually.
Eurowings.

The Cologne flight isn't bookable yet but the schedule has been loaded somewhat since it appears on some German Travel company leaks. The Dusseldorf flight is. Though Air Berlin has its roots with Low Cost travel these flights aren't cheap. Slightly under $1000 for May-mid-June and around $1250-$1300 rest of summer.

Delta going 3 daily on Boston-Los Angeles for the summer

15 flights a day on peak days. Here's the flights per airlines

American - 5
Delta - 3
Virgin American - 3 (2 on saturdays)
JetBlue 3 (2 on saturdays)
United - 1

The United times are a bit strange - departs BOS early evening and gets to LAX at 9:20 for what should be some trans pacific feed. The return flight is a morning departure which would be good for the Hawaiian red-eyes to LAX.

From the ENF - https://www.massport.com/media/347323/Compiled_ENF_10292015.pdf

All terminal modernization alternatives to be carried through the environmental analysis include phased construction of three previously approved gates and between two and four additional new gates, for a total of five to seven new gates, extending approximately 2,250 feet from Terminal E to the existing Delta Hangar to the west. The new concourse areas would be multilevel and would allow for baggage handling activities on the lower level and holdrooms, concessions, and club space on the upper level.*

Passenger processing, including baggage handling, ticketing, meeter/greeter areas, and Customs and Border Patrol screening, could be achieved through various internal options within the existing Terminal E space and in the new concourse area. Build Alternatives could accommodate additional curbside for Terminal E through reconfiguration of the Terminal E roadway system.*

The modernization would provide a new direct pedestrian connection from the Terminal area to the Blue Line Airport Station. The connector would cross the Airport roadway either underground or via an overpass to connect to existing Terminal E.

Some existing facilities and activities would have to be relocated to other on‐Airport locations or reconfigured to accommodate the new concourse area and airside operations. These uses include: existing cargo operations; ground service equipment facilities and operations on the North Ramp; the gas station; some terminal short term parking; and the cell phone parking lot. Additional uses may be identified as the planning process evolves. UPS facilities and aircraft positions would likely be accommodated in existing facilities and locations in the South Cargo area. All relocated facilities would move from one previously developed area of the Airport to another and would not involve any new paved surfaces, or result in off‐Airport impacts.

It's pretty self-explanatory. Worth noting that while the summary says that FIS can be achieved in the existing footprint, it means existing and new space. The "Alternatives" blurb at the beginning says:

As noted previously, the Project will include the three “West Concourse” gates previously approved in 1996 but not constructed, as well as new FIS space to replace and expand FIS facilities approved in 2000 at Terminal B but also not constructed.

Also, while they have a new roadway as part of the project, they don't seem to be including a new ticketing hall or entrance. This is an expanded E, not a Terminal F.

Looks like the walkway to the T will be in phase 1. So, after that's completed, how correct would it be to say that Logan overall has a direct T connection from all terminals, even if some would be long and circuitous paths?

Looks like the walkway to the T will be in phase 1. So, after that's completed, how correct would it be to say that Logan overall has a direct T connection from all terminals, even if some would be long and circuitous paths?

Well, you can technically walk it now. It will become slightly easier to use the connecting bridges/tunnels to do it with this project, but the reality is that unless you're going to E or just like walking, you'll still want to take the shuttle bus. Also, you'll only be able to access A and E in climate-controlled corridors, since B/C will require going through Central Parking.

It's also worth noting that the distance from the Blue Line to the ticket counter at E is about 2,500 feet depending on the route. For comparison, that's like walking from the BART station at SFO to the Terminal 2 ticket counter, the farthest from the station. I've made that walk many times, and it feels long. Maybe the moving walkways will help.

It's also worth noting that the distance from the Blue Line to the ticket counter at E is about 2,500 feet depending on the route. For comparison, that's like walking from the BART station at SFO to the Terminal 2 ticket counter, the farthest from the station. I've made that walk many times, and it feels long. Maybe the moving walkways will help.

That's half a mile, so 10 minutes of walking at a moderate pace. If you add in moving walkways that could be reduced to 5-7 minutes pretty easily. I'd much prefer that than waiting for the shuttle which can get crowded and stuck in traffic.

I think moving walkways are essential. Nobody with any amount of luggage is going to walk a half mile. (That said, the distance from the end of the C concourse at Dulles to the end of the D concourse is about a straight-line 3500 feet, with no moving sidewalk.)

Back