Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

^^ It really is incredible.

I can't help but tip my hat to Massport ... and of course to all of us Massholes, whose economy, institutions, history and link to the rest of the country are the reasons why there's so much demand to begin with.

https://www.atkearney.com/research-studies/global-cities-index/2015

Don't agree with the term Massholes but the city and region certainly is on a role! I frankly don't believe that most people who live in Boston/MA really understand how important the city of Boston and the metro area are! This is the best ranking of Boston I've ever seen though in every ranking of global cities, Boston is consistently ranked right up there!

Some people in this area can be so damn cynical sometimes and make it seem as if living in this area is such a burden. These are usually the same people that go on and on about how great life is living down in South Carolina, Florida and Texas.

I am hopeful Massport will make some nice upgrades to Terminal E. Unfortunately we will not be getting a new airport, so hopefully Massport takes what they've got and does something great with it.

^^ It really is incredible.

I can't help but tip my hat to Massport ... and of course to all of us Massholes, whose economy, institutions, history and link to the rest of the country are the reasons why there's so much demand to begin with.
I would also credit the aerospace industry that has relentlessly made jets more efficient and more capable across the whole range from long and thin (737s) to to 787 to A380s

I would also credit the aerospace industry that has relentlessly made jets more efficient and more capable across the whole range from long and thin (737s) to to 787 to A380s

Arlington its a bit of both the Globally-important local economy of education, medical, high tech and tourists provides the incentive

and the aerospace industry with new materials, engines and design software -- a lot of which traces its origins to here as well has provided the means for smaller point to point international routes [the major growth sector]

As long as we stay in the innovation lead elite the demand will continue to grow and so will the service

Did a Boston-Pittsburgh-Boston itinerary this week on JetBlue.

1) Full flights - very surprising for a 3:15 departure to Pittsburgh. People were trying to get on the 5:00pm departure in Pittsburgh in standby with little luck.

2) Terminal C is a bit torn up (mostly on the side adjacent to D/E) but I don't see how it would cause delays as mentioned on Jetblue's website.

3) Leg home did have some connecting passengers and some were tight since we had a 30-40 minute delay and about 8-9 passengers were connecting on Tel Aviv and Iceland flights which leave around 9:30 so FA's asked to let them off first. There may have been others going on the later international flights and didn't need to rush out.

Off-topic: Went to PNC Park for Wild Card game- would love to see a sports stadium on the Charles some day but its obviously impossible.

By and large Massport has done a pretty good job with what they’ve got for space over at Logan with some nice upgrades over the last decade. Expanded central parking, consolidated rental car facility, Terminal A, United’s concourse in Terminal B. I am wondering if there’s any chance down the line that Massport and JetBlue work together to do some work to Terminal C? The check-in area and consolidating the security areas into one were nice upgrades. But the gate areas are pretty bad. Low ceilings, ugly exterior to the piers, cramped seating bring down the terminal that houses JetBlue’s second largest operation. Look at Reagan Airport for example – it also has big land constraints yet their terminals are a lot nicer than what Terminal C offers. y exterior

By and large Massport has done a pretty good job with what they’ve got for space over at Logan with some nice upgrades over the last decade. Expanded central parking, consolidated rental car facility, Terminal A, United’s concourse in Terminal B. I am wondering if there’s any chance down the line that Massport and JetBlue work together to do some work to Terminal C? The check-in area and consolidating the security areas into one were nice upgrades. But the gate areas are pretty bad. Low ceilings, ugly exterior to the piers, cramped seating bring down the terminal that houses JetBlue’s second largest operation. Look at Reagan Airport for example – it also has big land constraints yet their terminals are a lot nicer than what Terminal C offers. y exterior

I don't think it's impossible that JetBlue could start investing some of its own money now that they have the whole thing, but I don't know how much money they have for capital projects after T5 at JFK. It should be conceivably possible to bust out the roof on the piers and put in some light towers or skylights - they're doing it for the connectors - and that would help a lot. Ceiling height is really Terminal C's problem more than anything else.

I don't think it's impossible that JetBlue could start investing some of its own money now that they have the whole thing, but I don't know how much money they have for capital projects after T5 at JFK. It should be conceivably possible to bust out the roof on the piers and put in some light towers or skylights - they're doing it for the connectors - and that would help a lot. Ceiling height is really Terminal C's problem more than anything else.

Equilib -- there's more than a rumour that Jet Blue and Qatar will be doing code share through BOS

yesterday's BBJ

Qatar deal could expand JetBlue traffic through Boston
Oct 28, 2015, 3:04pm EDT
A deal announced today by Qatar Airways and JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU) could increase the number of passengers traveling through Boston on their way to and from the Middle East.
The airlines struck a deal on code shares — flights that are operated by one airline but listed and sold by others. Under the arrangement announced today, Qatar will sell tickets under its own name in cities such as Seattle and Denver but those passengers will ride JetBlue aircraft to Boston before switching to Qatar Airways planes for overseas legs of their trips.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...eal-could-expand-jetblue-traffic-through.html

Result of such an arrangement

• more Jet Blue flights to otherwise lower demand source / destinations
  • whole lot of $ available through Qatar
  • smaller Jet Blue feeding A380 or such in E
  • likely to see Term C upgrades ala United's new section at B

It would be nice to have both piers completely demolished and rebuilt. Given JetBlue continues to expand their code share agreements with foreign carriers, their facilities need to be able to handle it the uptick in traffic. Also, JetBlue is the largest airline in Boston and United, Delta and American all have nicer facilities, imo.

Are there any renders of what the E to C connection will look like?

I'm really happy for all these new flight connections at Logan, but Massport really needs to upgrade the arrival experience. Since October, I've flown into Logan from Hong Kong, Amsterdam, and just last night........Zurich. The arrival into terminal E at Logan is dark, and really old and crummy looking. No glass or "showcasing" Boston as a great destination. Heck, even Budapest and Bucharest airports that I arrived at recently had very pleasant custom and luggage experiences.

Once you get past customs and luggage, the "New" terminal E is fine. However, that first experience is not a great architectural expression! It feels like you are arriving at some third world country instead of the "World Class" city we all know that Boston has become.

I'm really happy for all these new flight connections at Logan, but Massport really needs to upgrade the arrival experience. Since October, I've flown into Logan from Hong Kong, Amsterdam, and just last night........Zurich. The arrival into terminal E at Logan is dark, and really old and crummy looking. No glass or "showcasing" Boston as a great destination. Heck, even Budapest and Bucharest airports that I arrived at recently had very pleasant custom and luggage experiences.

Once you get past customs and luggage, the "New" terminal E is fine. However, that first experience is not a great architectural expression! It feels like you are arriving at some third world country instead of the "World Class" city we all know that Boston has become.

Oh, and one more rant: The food options when flying out of Terminal E are just criminal. Burger King or Earl of Sandwich for options. There is not a light or healthy choice, and I also saw rats running around the food court after midnight while waiting for my Hong Kong flight. It was really disgusting.

Oh, and one more rant: The food options when flying out of Terminal E are just criminal. Burger King or Earl of Sandwich for options. There is not a light or healthy choice, and I also saw rats running around the food court after midnight while waiting for my Hong Kong flight. It was really disgusting.

Java -- Just chanel what Buda & Pest's airport must have looked like in the days of the Soviet Union

All of what you are ranting against at E should be fixed within the next few years in the guise of the redo to support the A-380 and other super heavies:
  • Gate Areas
  • Passenger Hold Rooms
  • Rest Rooms
  • Corridors to Passport & Customs
  • Food and Duty Free
  • new level for new clubs

By the way did you Duty Free some Hungarian Fruit Brandy -- excellent er [kiváló]

Java -- Just chanel what Buda & Pest's airport must have looked like in the days of the Soviet Union

By the way did you Duty Free some Hungarian Fruit Brandy -- excellent er [kiváló]

Yes, just like so much of Western and Eastern Europe.........it has all been rebuilt recently. I actually hate to say that I was in Budapest in 1985! So, yes........I'm that old.

I sampled the Apricot Fruit Brandy, but didn't bring any back!! It was very "warming" on a cool Hungarian night when we went to see a Traditional Horse Show.

Yes, just like so much of Western and Eastern Europe.........it has all been rebuilt recently. I actually hate to say that I was in Budapest in 1985! So, yes........I'm that old.

I sampled the Apricot Fruit Brandy, but didn't bring any back!! It was very "warming" on a cool Hungarian night when we went to see a Traditional Horse Show.

Java -- my last trip to mostly Buda was in May 2008 for EWME 2008 — 7th European Workshop on Microelectronics Education organized by the Department of Electron Devices of the Budapest University of Technology -- we stayed in Professors housing [in Communist Days it was some of the finest accommodations available in Buda] overlooking the Danube and had a pleasant walk of a couple km to the conference hotel near to the Arboretum

One tourist stop in Pest was the Museum of the Budapest version of the T located at the Budapest equivalent of Downtown Crossing [all 3 lines accessible just as combined DTX and Park Street]

Budapest started the first subway after London one year before Boston in 1896 -- there is a car on exhibit which first ran in 1896 and last ran in 1973 -- its located in a setting which while in part a recreation is an authentic depiction of the late 1890's era in Budapest when it was one of the technological leading cities in the world

445414845_1f1a974c2d_z.jpg

Budapest_Metro_Museum_Deak_ter.jpg

By the way in my opinion the proper way to enjoy Fütyülős barack pálinka [apricot brandy] is poured over vanilla ice cream with some Feketekávét [Hungarian Coffee] on the side

Another new route from airliners via a Dusseldorf forum:

Air Berlin will fly 3-4 weekly Boston-Dusseldorf flights this summer starting in May. Starts at 3 weekly (Tues/Thurs/Sat) and goes to 4 weekly (Sunday addition) in June. Airbus A330-200 will be used.

Schedule is visible in Amadeus:

BOS-DUS 17:50-06:45 +1 A332
DUS-BOS 13:50-15:30 A332

Does any other US city have more non-stop flights to different German cities? We'll have FRA, MUC, CGN and now DUS.

NYC doesn't have CGN that I could find, but does have TXL. Does NYC have a fifth city direct?

Back