Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Some ENF grabs:

M14q1lg.png

JfJsd7M.png

dPRVC5Y.png

oMD2Sr6.png

http://airlineroute.net/2015/11/18/ew-s16update2/

Eurowings Boston-Cologne is loaded - I could only get in to come up it ITA as a Lufthansa coded flight.

New Schedule is Wednesday/Friday/Sunday as well

EW186/LH5404 CGN1340 – 1545 BOS 332 357
EW187/LH5405 BOS1730 – 0655+1 CGN 332 357

I found some test pages in a google cache that were advertising one ways around 300 USD.

Massport has released the October numbers for Logan.

Total passengers YTD 28,259,239 up 5.5% over 2014
Total international passengers YTD 4,727,512 up 10.4% over 2014
Total domestic passengers YTD 23,444,251 up 4.5% over 2014

Average load to Europe: 221 passengers
Average load to Asia: 174 passengers
Average load to Middle East: 186 passengers
Average load to Central America: 97 passengers
Average load to Caribbean: 115 passengers

http://airlineroute.net/2015/11/18/ew-s16update2/

Eurowings Boston-Cologne is loaded - I could only get in to come up it ITA as a Lufthansa coded flight.

New Schedule is Wednesday/Friday/Sunday as well

EW186/LH5404 CGN1340 – 1545 BOS 332 357
EW187/LH5405 BOS1730 – 0655+1 CGN 332 357

I found some test pages in a google cache that were advertising one ways around 300 USD.

Flight is on Eurowings site now.... one catch you can only book Europe originating flights at this time. 470 Euro's is cheapest round trip which includes no bags no seat selection and no frequent flier miles. There's a bundle similar to Norwegian (food checked bag and seat selection) as well.

Blue Line connector moving walkway would likely take the record for world's longest.

Take that, China. USA, USA, USA!

That article is very misleading and poorly researched. As data's screen grab's show, Phases 1 and 2 of expanding Terminal E west would bring the terminal much closer to the Airport T stop anyway. The 2,640-foot walkway the article fantasizes about would be if it was built between the T and where Terminal E is right now, when in actuality it would be more like 500 feet after the completion of phase 2 Term. E expansion (or roughly the same distance of the existing walkway between Term. E and the garage(s).

That article is very misleading and poorly researched. As data's screen grab's show, Phases 1 and 2 of expanding Terminal E west would bring the terminal much closer to the Airport T stop anyway. The 2,640-foot walkway the article fantasizes about would be if it was built between the T and where Terminal E is right now, when in actuality it would be more like 500 feet after the completion of phase 2 Term. E expansion (or roughly the same distance of the existing walkway between Term. E and the garage(s).

This assumes there is an entrance to the new E extension at its western end and the walkway stops there. The very screen grab you are referring to shows the "MBTA Blue Line Pedestrian Connector" stretching the entire distance to the existing E.

Also, while they have a new roadway as part of the project, they don't seem to be including a new ticketing hall or entrance. This is an expanded E, not a Terminal F.

If no new ticketing hall or entrance are included as part of the extension, passengers will still need to travel all the way east to the existing entrance when coming from the Blue Line. Thus, the moving walkway should stretch the whole distance. And even if there is a new entrance in the E extension, I'd still expect a full-length moving walkway for those travelers interested in terminals A-C.

I don't believe that assessment is correct. Notice on the diagram you reference that the "Blue Line Connector" is shown extending all the way to the current entrance of E. The "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" expansions of E are gates, holdroom & passenger processing only. As currently written, they're not actually adding ticket hall/public concourse space to E. It does not need additional ticketing space. It's palatial as is.

Edit: I was ninja'd by a mile on this. I was trying to paste section 2.2 from the ENF in a quote but it kept adding * where the spaces should be. Finally I just gave up. #ThanksBluebeam

Here's an image instead:
TGkaLZX.png

Last edited:
Re: construction at Logan, all but the last 100 feet or so of an enclosed connector between A and B are done; all that remains are the final touches on a stretch from the exterior wall at the north end of B into the departure area. Turner's sign indicates that this was done as part of the expanded garage project. It will link the west side of B into the central parking garage.

And there is a pile driver at work on the west end of E for the new gates.

Re: construction at Logan, all but the last 100 feet or so of an enclosed connector between A and B are done; all that remains are the final touches on a stretch from the exterior wall at the north end of B into the departure area. Turner's sign indicates that this was done as part of the expanded garage project. It will link the west side of B into the central parking garage.

And there is a pile driver at work on the west end of E for the new gates.
Yes, the A-B connector is part of L1191 ("2050 Space Consolidation Project") because they were also supposed to be expanding the B garage as part of that contract, but it was not feasible due to a bunch of underground utilities in that area. Instead, they added a floor to the West Garage Expansion to recover some spaces lost by cancelling the B garage. There is also a new set of elevators for the B garage that open into the A-B connector.

I don't believe that assessment is correct. Notice on the diagram you reference that the "Blue Line Connector" is shown extending all the way to the current entrance of E. The "Phase 1" and "Phase 2" expansions of E are gates, holdroom & passenger processing only. As currently written, they're not actually adding ticket hall/public concourse space to E. It does not need additional ticketing space. It's palatial as is.

Data -- while the final designs for the pedestrian connector between E and Blue are still to be determined -- its quite clear in the ENF document that the connector will go from the Existing E to the Blue line with a possible additional branch to the West Concourse E

It’s also quite clear that the E-Blue will be part of Phase 1 -- and hence we might expect a weather-tight walk from E to Blue in the next 3 to 4 years

2.5 Project Phasing
It is anticipated that Terminal E Modernization would be built in two phases.

The first phase of the project
  • could include up to five new gates, including the three gates previously permitted but never constructed and part of the concourse extension.
  • The majority of the additional terminal processing area is likely to be constructed in Phase 1 to minimize repeated disruption and overall cost.
  • The first phase would also include roadway and curb improvements
  • and the direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line Airport Station.

Just in time for the heavy demand for the Olympics [Oooooops -- never mind]

PS: while it might be a long walk -- that makes any terminal at Logan to Blue a weather-tight walk -- the worst case is C outside the secure area right next to E:

• C hall to C-B walkway on foot no motorization
  • C-B via walkway -- no motorization
  • B old American side to B-B connector via escalator
  • B to B via moving walkway
  • B to A via moving walkway and escalator
  • A entrance concourse via foot no motorization
  • A to A-E connector via escalator
  • A to E via connector -- mostly with moving walkways -- some footsteps needed
  • connector to E via elevator and escalator
  • E to E-Blue connector via ?
  • E-Blue to Blue line entrance via ?

But you never had to go outside

So carrying it to the absurd -- you could board a CR train in Fitchburg and disembark in Shanghai without ever setting foot on Terra Firma or being exposed to the elements in between

Last edited:
So carrying it to the absurd -- you could board a CR train in Fitchburg and disembark in Shanghai without ever setting foot on Terra Firma or being exposed to the elements in between

....except on causeway st, of all places....

....except on causeway st, of all places....

CSTH -- good point -- I was extrapolating from my experience with Alewife -- and I missed the CR to Subway outdoor connection at Causeway [so-far]
or to at least set foot on what might be a wet platform at Porter although you would technically be under the cover of the overpass
porter1.jpg

and also would have to leave the SilverLine and walk under the roof to the entrance to the E Terminal

However by the time the E-Term new project is done and Blue-E exists -- the Causeway / North Station weather exposure should be much reduced
north_station50.jpg

Flight is on Eurowings site now.... one catch you can only book Europe originating flights at this time. 470 Euro's is cheapest round trip which includes no bags no seat selection and no frequent flier miles. There's a bundle similar to Norwegian (food checked bag and seat selection) as well.

Germanwings informed me that these are for Europe-originating passengers. Guess I'm flying airBerlin if I'm to visit the Rhine-Ruhr.

Anyone know how the loads on the Mexico City flight are doing?

Also, I know this is the Logan thread, but anything of note happening at the other 3 airports lately? I see that Jetblue is still doing Worcester

^I flew out of Portsmouth to Fort Lauderdale on Allegiant earlier in the month which is a relatively new service. It was my first experience on either Allegiant or flying out of PSM. Allegiant is what you'd expect from an ultra low cost carrier (round-trip for me was $105)- no recline on the seats, pay for carry-ons, etc. But for $105 (i only traveled with a small bag that fit under the seat- free), it was fine.

PSM is a pretty neat experience. It's really not geared toward scheduled passenger service. The parking is free and right out in front of the terminal which is nice. Security is literally one belt/detector at the end of a hallway ramp. The gate area is tiny (especially for the number of passengers on the A320 or 717s that fly out of there), but there's a small cafe downstairs that's more along the lines of a school concession stand than an airport restaurant. Prices are good. Sandwiches are surprisingly really good. The airport has a very military feel (lots of military decor) since it's an active base as well.

Aside from the price, the schedules are great for long weekends away. the FLL flight left at 7pm on Thursday and the return was 1:30 on Sunday. Even coming from Boston I was able to work until 4 on Thursday, have Friday and Saturday night in Florida, leave at a reasonable hour and get home at a reasonable hour. Allegiant targets Leisure travelers and it shows. Aside from FLL they fly to Ft. Myers, and Orlando-Sanford out of PSM. Similarly convenient schedules. I think it's an excellent option for those living North of Boston.

I think numbers at PVD and MHT are continuing to decline (although service is still highly rated at both) as service and passengers favor fares and flexibility out of Logan.

Back