Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Because that's how near-every other international market has been pioneered.

Sorry, but expat communities and affinities are a *big* driver of US International demand...

Plain old "I speak the language" counts for a lot, too....

Sure everyone from everywhere likes "the beach" but that's the place you go last, not first. Airlines will always prefer to serve "must fly" markets like business and want-to-see-cousin-Maria-before-we-die...

Flights to Cuba will always go to "the highest bidder" and that's going to be driven by (1) expat businesses (2) expat family and then secondary factors like (3) Big hub in big metro and (4) Spanish-speaking businesses & tourists. My analysis incorporates that.

Until the market is free enough to trade on pure "doing business" and "going on vacation", BOS isn't going to be a priority. Note too that what made BOS desirable from a lot of the world was tech-trade-edu stuff--an affinity we aren't going to have with Cuba in the short term...

Looking at the list above, the "government" and "foundation" and "journalist" stuff tend to favor WAS, NYC, and LAX for nonstops and then big hubs for this "generalized' Cuba demand. Only "education" screams "Boston" and I'd say that the airlines will be happier accommodating it as connections over their hubs. Sorry, Boston, I just don't see it being our turn]

Arlington -- you are missing one of the major exports of Cuba [no not Cigars] == Doctors

And if you are a doc where is your Mecca??? --- answer Brigham Circle

Arlington -- you are missing one of the major exports of Cuba ][...] Doctors
Uh, No. That's flights to Central/South America and Africa, not USA, and one presumes already well served. Not a thing the DOT needs to facilitate, and not enough to generate a threshold number of pax per day

Uh, No. That's flights to Central/South America and Africa, not USA, and one presumes already well served. Not a thing the DOT needs to facilitate, and not enough to generate a threshold number of pax per day

Arlington -- you are missing the point

For a country about 50 years in the rear view mirror -- Cuba's medical reputation is one of its most positive aspects

Yet the Cuban medical community has been isolated with the exception of Spain

Let Cuban medical people start coming the US and where would they want to go - -Boston

Couple the obvious Med School / Hospital exchange visits with the potential of Cuba as an easily accessible test ground for drugs and devices that want to get FDA approval -- once again Boston is the place to fly to / from

Saw CEO Corner today on NECN -- featured a full half hour with Massport's Tom Glynn
http://www.necn.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Massport-to-Port/361744801

He made 5 major points:
  • Jet Blue is redoing Terminal C as "their terminal"
  • Terminal E to add the 7 gates [3 already permitted]
  • Connection to Blue Line either moving walk or possibly "some kind of vehicles"
  • 5,000 more parking spaces to come [needs permitting] -- parking seen as environmental benefit -- less trips
  • more low cost international carriers coming in 2016

Arlington -- you are missing the point

For a country about 50 years in the rear view mirror -- Cuba's medical reputation is one of its most positive aspects

Yet the Cuban medical community has been isolated with the exception of Spain

Let Cuban medical people start coming the US and where would they want to go - -Boston

Couple the obvious Med School / Hospital exchange visits with the potential of Cuba as an easily accessible test ground for drugs and devices that want to get FDA approval -- once again Boston is the place to fly to / from

Arlington is basing this on the assumption that the embargo will not be removed anytime soon. Once that happens - your points are indeed valid. For now its not happening.

Since it's the beginning of 2016, I thought I'd post a list of all the international non-stop destinations out of Logan. Will be interesting to see what changes/additions occur to this list at the same time next year. Any predictions?

http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/about-logan/international-non-stop-destinations/

My prediction? Massport won't figure out for another 2 months that "US Airways" hasn't operated flights since AA fully-replaced the name on October 25th.

Haha, good one! Frankly, caught me with my pants down as well! ;)

I know it's been discussed frequently in this forum with a lot of solid arguments against it, but I have to think a Boston-Brazil route (GIG or GRU) has to be in the cards soon. US carriers are developing ever-closer ties to (and sizable ownership stakes in) Brazilian carriers such as TAM, Gol, Azul, Avianca Brasil, etc.

Since it's the beginning of 2016, I thought I'd post a list of all the international non-stop destinations out of Logan. Will be interesting to see what changes/additions occur to this list at the same time next year. Any predictions?

http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/about-logan/international-non-stop-destinations/

Atlantaden -- the big missing link to Asia is to Korea -- no longer is Seoul willing to play second fiddle to any other Asian dynamic economic powerhouse -- eventually the Kim Dynasty will realize that reunification is inevitable -- the combined Korea would be on-par with Germany with comparable population and far superior demographics

Singapore would also be great -- although the range is a stretch for the 787's currently being built [B787-9 test flights have exceeded the 9400 mi flight distance]

Without any regulatory hurdles, I think we would see the following announced in 2016 for 2017

Bogota on Avianca (may actually start in 2016)
Lisbon on TAP Portgual
Cork, Birmingham and either Edinburgh or Glasgow on Norwegian for 2017.
Antigua (weekly and seasonal) on JetBlue (starts November 2016)

What I would like to see:
Tokyo on All Nippon Airways
Seoul on either Korean carrier
Stockholm/Barcelona/Madrid on Norwegian
San Jose, CR on JetBlue
Cozumel, Belize City, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas (weekly and seasonal) on JetBlue

5 year Plan:
Casablanca, Morocco on Royal Air Maroc
Addis Ababa on Ethiopian
Abu Dhabi on Etihad
Sao Paulo on TAM and a Brazilian rebound
Delhi (Air India is scary though)
Singapore (via Geneva) on Singapore Airlines

^You think Delhi before Mumbai? Not arguing, just curious as to why you might think that?

^You think Delhi before Mumbai? Not arguing, just curious as to why you might think that?

Lrfox -- assuming that it is not Air India but some up and coming Indian carrier -- its much more likely to be Mumbai, or even Bangaluru as it would be mostly business related

I'm not 100% convinced of an Indian flight honestly but I believe Delhi is the best bet. Its Air India's main hub and geography - Delhi is further North and closest to Boston than the others.

Lrfox -- assuming that it is not Air India but some up and coming Indian carrier -- its much more likely to be Mumbai, or even Bangaluru as it would be mostly business related

The up and coming Indian carriers are all narrow-body operators (IndiGo, SpiceJet, Vistara, etc). Jet Airways could do Mumbai-Boston when their 789's arrive in late 2017 but Etihad is the puppet master and may want everything to go through Abu Dhabi.

Anyone have an idea what type of impact GE moving to Boston will have on Logan? I have always read that this will mean further expansion, but what specific destinations should be on the table for direct international flights?

Anyone have an idea what type of impact GE moving to Boston will have on Logan? I have always read that this will mean further expansion, but what specific destinations should be on the table for direct international flights?
New international destinations because of GE? I would say none. GE also has its own 'air force', at least two 737 business jets.

Cape Air to Schenectedy, NY and Erie, PA? (Only half-joking...)

Cobean -- I suggest that with GE's Global HQ here there will be a renewed push for the full complement of the additional gates in the Westward Expansion of E [3 already permitted before the 2001 air traffic collapse; 4 additional]

Doubt the GE move will lead to any international routes that wouldn't have come anyway. But having the HQ of a massive multinational company 10 minutes from Logan will certainly help ensure that the routes we have remain viable (more high yield business travelers).

Back