Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

New international destinations because of GE? I would say none. GE also has its own 'air force', at least two 737 business jets.

At least there will be more landing fees for Massport (unless they were waived as part of the package)

Also - wonder if JetBlue gets a piece of the domestic action from this - being the carrier with the most destinations in BOS.

E-190's do have GE engines so they are a customer.

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea what type of impact GE moving to Boston will have on Logan? I have always read that this will mean further expansion, but what specific destinations should be on the table for direct international flights?

Brazil, South Korea appear to be the most likely to be influenced by this. Possibly Saudi Arabia. Poland maybe. Maybe Oslo was added in anticipation of this as Norway is a major country for GE.

Oh yeah and India. But we were already actively courting India, that would depend on their airlines getting on track... and expanding widebody fleets. And right now emirates is all over that market anyways.

Last edited:
New international destinations because of GE? I would say none. GE also has its own 'air force', at least two 737 business jets.

737s aren't long haul planes. Executives will have no issue filling first class on long haul flights.

737s aren't long haul planes. Executives will have no issue filling first class on long haul flights.

737s can be used for long-haul, which is considered 6+ hours.

SAS/PrivatAir ran Houston-Stavanger Norway on 737, and is running Boston-Copenhagen at 7.5 hours on the same. Much of Alaska Air is long-haul domestic and all 737.

I can't imagine you'll see a dramatic change specifically because of GE. Maybe there will be some equipment upgauge or additional frequencies where they can sell premium cabins.

Brazil, South Korea appear to be the most likely to be influenced by this. Possibly Saudi Arabia. Poland maybe. Maybe Oslo was added in anticipation of this as Norway is a major country for GE.

Oh yeah and India. But we were already actively courting India, that would depend on their airlines getting on track... and expanding widebody fleets. And right now emirates is all over that market anyways.

I highly doubt a frequent flier working for GE is even allowed to choose Norwegian (not a good track record with delays) and its possible Emirates isn't allowed as well but probably could be justified based on schedule: depends on GE's travel policies that don't involve the corporate jet.

My company's (a Fortune 500 that is smaller than GE as reference) preferred carriers are the legacies, JetBlue, Southwest (recent addition) and Air Canada. The codeshare's help (i.e AA code on Boston-London)

737s can be used for long-haul, which is considered 6+ hours.

SAS/PrivatAir ran Houston-Stavanger Norway on 737, and is running Boston-Copenhagen at 7.5 hours on the same. Much of Alaska Air is long-haul domestic and all 737.

I can't imagine you'll see a dramatic change specifically because of GE. Maybe there will be some equipment upgauge or additional frequencies where they can sell premium cabins.

Suggest if someone is willing to do the search work -- look for where GE has major customer pools, supplier pools or major operations -- all of them will be making pilgrimages to BOS

However, the principle connections will be between the HQ's of the various GE divisions and THE HQ

So someone who mentioned connections to upstate NY and Ohio is right on target

Suggest if someone is willing to do the search work -- look for where GE has major customer pools, supplier pools or major operations -- all of them will be making pilgrimages to BOS

However, the principle connections will be between the HQ's of the various GE divisions and THE HQ

So someone who mentioned connections to upstate NY and Ohio is right on target

I actually went to edit my post with my source but didn't hit the button to submit haha. http://www.ibtimes.com/general-electric-ge-goes-global-revenues-over-1bn-24-countries-1543533
My previous post was based off of some quick internet research.

Any thonghts on where the GE corporate flight operation would be relocated (Logan, Hanscom) or stay put in Newburgh, NY.

Any thonghts on where the GE corporate flight operation would be relocated (Logan, Hanscom) or stay put in Newburgh, NY.
Either way, we seem better "airported" than Fairfield, and they could choose either BOS or BED and, if location is important, have either be better-located than SWF/Newburgh, HPN/White Planes, or BDR/Bridgeport

But what does it mean to their ops that GE's flight dept is based at SWF/Newburgh? Is that location based on "where the planes are serviced" or "where the people fly from" kind of thing?

Do execs have to be driven from home to SWF, or do the planes hop to HPN/White Plains or BDR/Bridgeport to pick up execs? If there's nationwide empty deadheading being done from SWF to both HQ and divisional heads, then SWF might still be the best geographic center.

If it really is a exec-takes-limo-to-base operation focused on exec homes and work, then both BED (close to homes in the 'burbs) or BOS (super close to HQ and downtown "penthouses") seem like either is in a better position than SWF. I have to believe that their planes will spend tons of time at BOS even if they're not based there overnight.

If they've got room (hangar space), Logan. That's a big bonus of having the HQ in the Seaport.

Globe:
The pitch book offers GE an array of additional benefits: a hangar at Hanscom Air Force Base “to accommodate six airplanes for General Electric to fly to and from Logan International Airport,”...

Plus the city (and GE) will get a public helipad.
Really? Where? I'd think that Logan being so close to downtown and both BED and BOS having good road access means that there's no market for a [standalone] "business" helipad anywhere.

Re: Helipad

Officials said GE expressed particular interest in a helipad, which large New York-area companies commonly use to avoid traffic. GE, for example, uses helicopters to transport employees to its management training center along the Hudson River from near its current home in Fairfield, Conn.

Boston had a public helipad across from the Nashua Street Jail, but it was turned into a park as part of the Big Dig. The only other helipads in the city are at Logan International Airport and at hospitals.

Massport CEO Thomas Glynn said GE’s interest is stirring talk about building a new public helipad.

“Their interest in helipads might be the catalyst for getting a resolution on where one might be located,” Glynn said. “It would benefit the broader business community, and maybe also the tourism community.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...could_yield_a_public_helipad_and_more_ferries

The bid proposes six state-owned sites in the Seaport for GE to locate, and first item listed for each one is "Helipad: Eligible".

Interestingly, it also lists 26 Court St as "Helipad: to be determined" and 185 Kneeland St as "Helipad: Eligible".

Initial review confirms helipad accessibility for each site highlighted in this booklet.

Re: Helipad: You can take the GE out of Connecticut, but you can't take the Connecticut out of GE. Sheesh.

Re: Helipad: You can take the GE out of Connecticut, but you can't take the Connecticut out of GE. Sheesh.

Arlington, a company the scale of GE with such far flung operations needs more than internet connectivity

The best model was the far smaller -- but equally spread-out operations of DEC

DEC operated a small fleet out of Hanscom and also ran helicopters between various facilities, Hanscom and Logan

My sister-in-law was a DEC factory automation engineer working out of Andover and DEC flew her by helicopter to a project in Westminster on a regular basis

GE has 5,000 Massachusetts employees in at least 5 other major facilities:
including two Division HQ's:
Life Science in Marlboro,
and the new one "Current" related to lighting and energy still looking for Boston Area location

Major other facilities are in Westborough, Foxboro and Lynn

There used to be a helipad on the top of the Motor Mart Garage on Stuart Street, Park Square. Skyways Helicopter Service operated from there to Logan for a brief period. But I do not see how that location would help GE.

http://airportjournals.com/john-sanduski-pioneer-helicopter-pilot/

picture.php

There used to be a helipad on the top of the Motor Mart Garage on Stuart Street, Park Square. Skyways Helicopter Service operated from there to Logan for a brief period. But I do not see how that location would help GE.

http://airportjournals.com/john-sanduski-pioneer-helicopter-pilot/

picture.php

Jeff -- I'm guessing that they would want a helipad on top of their building if at all possible

The problem might be with the interference with Logan approaches unless the helipad was either low or off the flight axis for a runway

The latter might cause a problem for 121 Seaport Blvd -- it footprint is just off the approaches for all 3 of the runways aligned in the general direction -- but is very close to the envelope for Runway 9
BOS_COMPOSITE_Ver1pt0X_jan09.jpg

Back