Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

This is great news, another foreign carrier.

Massport needs to made expanding Terminal E an even faster priority.

Globe article, on need for Terminal E expansion. Gates for the A-380s ready by year's end.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...mes-improve/m5zeJUDHRVSGgsJMtihi9N/story.html

Stellar -- also an interesting comment that Logan will have more discount Transatlantic flights this summer than any other airport

Really reinforces the Big-time need for more Customs and Border Passport Control space in the expanded Terminal E -- unless the major origin airports such as Heathrow do US entry preclearing as in Toronto

Stellar -- also an interesting comment that Logan will have more discount Transatlantic flights this summer than any other airport

JFK has more especially if you count airBerlin as Low-cost which Massport does in their recent UK routes presentation.

Logan Airport

Norwegian 7 weekly
Air Berlin 4 weekly
Eurowings 3 weekly
Icelandair 21 weekly
WOW air 7 Weekly
Thomas Cook 2 weekly

JFK
Norwegian 20 weekly
Icelandair 14 weekly
Air Berlin 21 weekly
Thomas Cook 6 weekly

XL Airways France and Meridana may be considered LCC too since they are similar to Thomas Cook (i.e charters)

JFK has more especially if you count airBerlin as Low-cost which Massport does in their recent UK routes presentation.

Logan Airport

Norwegian 7 weekly
Air Berlin 4 weekly
Eurowings 3 weekly
Icelandair 21 weekly
WOW air 7 Weekly
Thomas Cook 2 weekly

JFK
Norwegian 20 weekly
Icelandair 14 weekly
Air Berlin 21 weekly
Thomas Cook 6 weekly

XL Airways France and Meridana may be considered LCC too since they are similar to Thomas Cook (i.e charters)

Is it possible some of our older carriers are considered low cost such as SATA?

May find out soon if TAP Portugal launches Boston-Lisbon for Summer 2016.

Article in Portuguese so use translate if you use chrome.

http://www.presstur.com/site/news.asp?news=52757

It's happening in July, with Airbus 330s.

A consortium of investors, run by David Neeleman (former jetBlue and Azul Brazil start up CEO) has purchased 61% stake in TP from the Portuguese government. They have lots of aircraft on order, and plan to connect TAP, with jetBlue codeshare, to Azul Brazil. Look at jetBlue's hubs and focus cities, and you have their expansion plans.

If you look at jetBlue's partners - they have 16 airlines, all but Cape Air international, potentially feeding them through BOS, and even more through JFK.

Is it possible some of our older carriers are considered low cost such as SATA?

Even if so, that's nine weeklies at the most and still less than JFK. If you count Aer Lingus - the gap widens.

If you look at jetBlue's partners - they have 16 airlines, all but Cape Air international, potentially feeding them through BOS, and even more through JFK.
You might say that JetBlue has received a large gift from the flag carriers of the world and the 787. Is JetBlue just pocketing that gift or can we expect to see nonstops to new US destinations powered by connecting feed from JFK and BOS?

Could we say that Cleveland and Nashville are those routes? Will there be more like them? Boston is probably the best USA hub for Cleveland-to-Europe connections (since anything else involves back-tracking or congested EWR/JFK)

Something small and rich that has no Southwest, like Charlottesville VA and Lexington KY, or sciency like Oak Ridge TN (Knoxville) or Huntsville AL (aerospace)?

jetBlue launching Salt Lake City 5/12/16:

Released : 01/26/2016

Added Flights Provide New Nonstop Service and New Connection Choices for Customers

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- JetBlue (NASDAQ: JBLU) today announced it is further expanding its presence in its Boston and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood focus cities with the addition of two new transcontinental routes. Flights between Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) and Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) will begin Thursday, May 12, 2016. Flights between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and San Diego International Airport (SAN) will begin Thursday, June 16, 2016. Both routes will operate year-round.

Seats are on sale starting today with introductory fares between Boston and Salt Lake City starting at $47 one-way (a), a nod to Utah’s Pioneer Day which commemorates the first Mormon pioneers who settled in the area in 1847. Introductory fares are also available between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and San Diego starting at $99 one-way (b).

“We are so pleased to continue JetBlue’s growth in our east coast focus cities and in the western U.S. with these two new nonstop routes,” said Dave Clark, vice president network planning at JetBlue. “These four destinations all feature spectacular outdoor attractions and bustling business centers. Whether you are going for business or leisure, it’s never been easier to travel between these four cities and experience all they have to offer.”

Boston becomes JetBlue’s fourth nonstop destination from Salt Lake City and will provide new service between Utah’s capital city and Logan International Airport where JetBlue is the top airline. With nonstop flights to more than 60 destinations from Boston, JetBlue is on track to operate up to 140 daily flights this summer. Customers traveling to Boston can take advantage of new convenient connections to additional JetBlue destinations throughout the U.S., Caribbean and Latin America such as Washington (DCA), Pittsburgh (PIT), Richmond, Va. (RIC) and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (STT). The route will also create a nonstop link between JetBlue’s Salt Lake City Customer Support Center and the airline’s second-largest focus city.

- See more at: http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/...spx?cid=981&newsid=32513#sthash.amGEM149.dpuf

Overall surprised it took this long but welcomed nonetheless. Too bad it's starting after this year's ski season.

Well, so SLC is partly the answer to my question. That leaves not many current "beyond NYC" JetBlue Cities without service from Boston (Burbank, Palm Springs, Albuquerque, Reno/Tahoe, and Daytona Beach).

There's also a lot of double connecting going on since Turkish and Emirates are taking JetBlue feed (and El Al is taking it too but its all most likely going to Tel Aviv on 1-stop itineraries)

Bolding mine.

LY isn't taking any onward traffic beyond TLV on double connecting itineraries, according to Diio. El Al's network is designed to connect the diaspora to Israel, not to make Ben Gurion Airport into a global hub. Previously (back in the 2007-2008 time frame) they would publish fares from New York, LAX, and at the time MIA onward to CAI and IST but there was never any significant volume. Have you ever flown LY or visited TLV? There is a channel above the atrium for connections in T3, but there aren't staffed transfer desks like you would expect to see at AMS, FRA, ICN, LHR, SIN, etc. The only connections in practice over TLV are people on award tickets with creative routings (even these are few and far between), or oneworld explorer fares

jetBlue launching Salt Lake City 5/12/16:

Overall surprised it took this long but welcomed nonetheless. Too bad it's starting after this year's ski season.

Just thinking the same thing. Oh well, next year.

Bolding mine.

LY isn't taking any onward traffic beyond TLV on double connecting itineraries, according to Diio. El Al's network is designed to connect the diaspora to Israel, not to make Ben Gurion Airport into a global hub. Previously (back in the 2007-2008 time frame) they would publish fares from New York, LAX, and at the time MIA onward to CAI and IST but there was never any significant volume. Have you ever flown LY or visited TLV? There is a channel above the atrium for connections in T3, but there aren't staffed transfer desks like you would expect to see at AMS, FRA, ICN, LHR, SIN, etc. The only connections in practice over TLV are people on award tickets with creative routings (even these are few and far between), or oneworld explorer fares

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't make myself clear enough - I meant to say the passengers that connect from jetBlue to El Al are going no further than TLV (which results in a 1-stop itinerary) for reasons you just mentioned.

Well, so SLC is partly the answer to my question. That leaves not many current "beyond NYC" JetBlue Cities without service from Boston (Burbank, Palm Springs, Albuquerque, Reno/Tahoe, and Daytona Beach).

The flights times for SLC do not give good connections for going to Europe since its red-eye going east.

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't make myself clear enough - I meant to say the passengers that connect from jetBlue to El Al are going no further than TLV (which results in a 1-stop itinerary) for reasons you just mentioned.

The flights times for SLC do not give good connections for going to Europe since its red-eye going east.

adamh -- perhaps that is going to change with the new low cost Transatlantic carriers

I'm sure that Massport is trying to get them to fly out of Logan and into Logan at times of relative emptiness rather than when the traditional Big EU's all arrive and depart

It not makes a whole lot of sense -- question was it Jet Blue or Massport with the creative idea
None-the-less the implementation of the Master Plan is well along:
  • Jet Blue takes over C
  • Jet Blue become largest carrier in/out Logan
  • C to E connector allows jet Blue customers to pass to/from International Gates without passing through more TSA stuff
  • Major expansion of E on the side away from Jet Blue where presumably the Big EU's will relocate
  • Leaving the low # gates in E -- ideal for the discount Trans Atlantics -- with their smaller 2 engine planes to be located next to Jet Blue

Result -- perfect -- le mariage des pluriels for jet Blue -- works well for Massport as well taking full advantage of all of the Gate X Hours

As an aside -- Logan planners need to make sure that the expansion of E has plenty of Duty Free shopping a la Heathrow or Frankfurt -- especially for the Asian travelers

A recent episode of the Smithsonian Channel X-Ray: Mega Airport focused on baggage and cargo at Fraport -- pointed out that Asian customers spent disproportionately at Duty Free with Chinese travelers spending 5X the average of all international customers

Last edited:
Realistically speaking, how far are we away from the full terminal E expansion being completed?

Realistically speaking, how far are we away from the full terminal E expansion being completed?

Mass -- the Goals for E-related work as of December [subject to revisions]:
  • C to E Connector -- 2016
  • E for 380 -- 2017
  • E Expansion [subject to revisions after design review]
    • Phase 1 -- 2019
      includes passenger connector to Blue Line
      includes 3 new gates already permitted and the area encompassing the original so-called N-W Concourse
    • Phase 2 -- 2022
      includes new gates
      includes new baggage and DHS facilities
      Substantial completion

Mass -- the Goals for E-related work as of December [subject to revisions]:
  • C to E Connector -- 2016
  • E for 380 -- 2017
  • E Expansion [subject to revisions after design review]
    • Phase 1 -- 2019
      includes passenger connector to Blue Line
      includes 3 new gates already permitted and the area encompassing the original so-called N-W Concourse
    • Phase 2 -- 2022
      includes new gates
      includes new baggage and DHS facilities
      Substantial completion

Thanks for the information.

You would think Massport, seeing the rapid growth at Logan and the constraints of current facilities, would make it a priority for Logan to speed up the expansion as fast as possible.

2022, six years till Terminal E catches up with passenger load? Massport got caught with it's pants down on this one; Terminal E expansion should have been in the works six years ago when the push by Massport to bring more foreign carriers to Logan was happening. Massport seems so timid when ever expansion is needed and it always seems to be playing catch-up.

Your earlier post wasn't completely clear but we are in agreement. Connections DO exist and can happen over TLV but generally not on LY and they're a fairly irregular occurrence. But yes B6 is connecting plenty of passengers from ORD, PHL, MCO and South Florida gateways over BOS into TLV.

2022, six years till Terminal E catches up with passenger load? Massport got caught with it's pants down on this one; Terminal E expansion should have been in the works six years ago when the push by Massport to bring more foreign carriers to Logan was happening. Massport seems so timid when ever expansion is needed and it always seems to be playing catch-up.

Atlantaden -- I think the International Boom did surprise them a bit

However, the other matter has been the reluctance to admit that Logan is a growing successful airport --- Massport is still burdened with the heritage of it its past when it ran roughshod. As a result today to get the OK from the regulators -- they have to lie and say that whatever is being done is only for increased efficiency or to make things look nice and it definitely will not increase ......

A long time ago -- Massport should have gone back to the Legislature and gotten the regulatory "leger de main" that they have to play these days, whenever a project is proposed, dispensed with once and for all. All of the alphabet soup of permitting should be streamlined for the major infrastructure needed to allow Boston and the rest of the Commonwealth compete globally -- there should be the equivalent of the MBTA Fin Board for major infrastructure -- the Commonwealth Infrastructure Control Board should subsusume all the epas and fepas, meepas, chapter this and thats

To wit hypothetically:
  • 2012 after a few years of recovery post recession -- Massport see's the beginning of a huge and continuing increase in demand for Logan as International Gateway
  • 2013 [FY 2012, FY 2013] annual data confirms the need for new facilities
  • 2014 Massport hires consultant to estimate growth through 2025
    Massport designs or hires consultant to design Expanded E
    Massport proposes and Commonwealth Infrastructure Control Board Approves expansion of Terminal E
    Massport lets contracts and construction begins
  • 2017 Massport unveils Expanded E well in advance of expected need now estimated to be in 2020
  • 2018 Massport and T complete study of coordinated improvements of access to Logan
  • 2020 with continued growth of Logan as Global Low Cost Carrier Hub -- Massport begins planning cycle to meet 2030 demand

Back