Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Yes. I've walked it before... it's on the baggage claim level between both terminals.

I knew there once was a meandering path from the north end of old "D" over to "E", but I thought it ended when they built to taxi queue on the east side of E.

So to get from E to C, you have to start at the northeast end of baggage claim in E, cross (inside) using the lower level of the short connection that exists between E and old D, north of the taxi queue?

I realize you can do it long way around, a dog leg from E to B/A, then to B, and then double back to C.

I saw a Massport tweet the other day that the pre-security inside connector between A and B is now open. I believe the C to E connector will be post-security, so is there a way to go between C and E pre-security without ever being 'outside'?

Stel -- yes there is but its a long way around

You leave C main ticketing hall for B via the non-assisted ambulatory connector with the big rocking chairs
arriving at B Take the the escalator to the B to B connector at the Garage
walk to the B to A connector
Take the escalator to the ticketing hall of A
walk the length of A to the escalator
take the escalator to the A to E connection through the garage
arriving at its end take the elevator to the floor of E [ticketing or baggage claim]

inside all the way with about 50% of the trek assisted by moving walkways

I snapped this pic of the Terminal E A380 Expansion (MPA L1346-D1) from the top of the West Garage Expansion (MPA L1191) today:

12647478_10205689932747709_5841445798355308481_n.jpg

I snapped this pic of the Terminal E A380 Expansion (MPA L1346-D1) from the top of the West Garage Expansion (MPA L1191) today:

Data -- great photo -- Lots of progress on the first phase of Term E revamp / expansion since I last was over there

I wonder when avianca intends to start BOS - BOG? I'd have thought that would be approved and announced by now.
I'm also wondering if the plan to make Milan and Glasgow a reality is through emirates. Emirates wants to expand their fifth freedom routes and continue expanding capacity at jetblue cities. They also have a great deal of traffic from milan and Glasgow.

I wonder when avianca intends to start BOS - BOG? I'd have thought that would be approved and announced by now.
I'm also wondering if the plan to make Milan and Glasgow a reality is through emirates. Emirates wants to expand their fifth freedom routes and continue expanding capacity at jetblue cities. They also have a great deal of traffic from milan and Glasgow.

Bogota-Boston could be announced tomorrow or a year from now. Its up to Avianca to free up a plane they want to use (A319). They have 7 of these plane on order and I have no clue when they are getting them.

It is approved by the Colombian government and its open skies with US so DOT approval is already done.

I think if Emirates really wanted to do fifth freedom in Boston it would have happened already. For Scotland, I see Edinburgh-Boston being done by Norwegian in the future. They don't fly into Glasgow at all.

Bogota-Boston could be announced tomorrow or a year from now. Its up to Avianca to free up a plane they want to use (A319). They have 7 of these plane on order and I have no clue when they are getting them.

It is approved by the Colombian government and its open skies with US so DOT approval is already done.

I think if Emirates really wanted to do fifth freedom in Boston it would have happened already. For Scotland, I see Edinburgh-Boston being done by Norwegian in the future. They don't fly into Glasgow at all.

With emirates I'm thinking they want to grow here more but are waiting for the a380 gates... and I'm sure they have a lounge in the works for that too. They've already made it clear that terminal E is too cramped for them with their departures taking off from C.

With emirates I'm thinking they want to grow here more but are waiting for the a380 gates... and I'm sure they have a lounge in the works for that too. They've already made it clear that terminal E is too cramped for them with their departures taking off from C.

JouHou -- if you look at the construction pix -- there is a whole new level for lounges atop the construction work for the A380 gates

Last edited:
Turkish to increase the capacity of the BOS to Istanbul flight
in the BBJ
Turkish Airlines said Wednesday that it will boost its seat capacity on its daily non-stop Istanbul-Boston route.
Since 2014, Turkish Airlines has connected Boston to its Istanbul hub, offering daily nonstop flights from Boston Logan International Airport. The airline recently upgraded its aircrafts from an A340 to a newer generation A330-300. The new aircrafts have 28 Business and 261 Economy Class full, flat-bed seats.

I'm guessing that Turkish Airlines might be one of the prime candidates for the new A380 gates when they open next year

Turkish to increase the capacity of the BOS to Istanbul flight
in the BBJ

I'm guessing that Turkish Airlines might be one of the prime candidates for the new A380 gates when they open next year

This was the plane that was supposed to be used when they initially launched the route.

They don't have A380's and if they ever got them they will be in Los Angeles and New York first.

Boston-Istanbul needs frequency (which can take feed on both ends especially the massive Istanbul hub) not jumbo jets.

This was the plane that was supposed to be used when they initially launched the route.

They don't have A380's and if they ever got them they will be in Los Angeles and New York first.

Boston-Istanbul needs frequency (which can take feed on both ends especially the massive Istanbul hub) not jumbo jets.

So who can we expect if all of the airlines that might bring the A380 to Boston like Turkish, Emirates, and Lufthansa are prioritixing frequency over the A380?

So who can we expect if all of the airlines that might bring the A380 to Boston like Turkish, Emirates, and Lufthansa are prioritixing frequency over the A380?

Fyi the current airport in Istanbul can not accommodate the a380. The new airport will be able to, but we can't expect Turkish to contemplate adding the a380 to their fleet until they get the new airport.

Emirates - if gates were ready they may have only done 1 X A380 versus two 77W.

Lufthansa - though they wanted the bigger gates for 748.

British Airways - strangely enough may throw a mix of A380's and 789's

Air France - maybe someday but they are premium heavy as mention by kmp in this thread awhile back.

My opinion - I wish Emirates or Turkish had 787's and went two-three daily. A380 is more suited for Lufthansa and British Airways ops in Boston.

Emirates - if gates were ready they may have only done 1 X A380 versus two 77W.

Lufthansa - though they wanted the bigger gates for 748.

British Airways - strangely enough may throw a mix of A380's and 789's

Air France - maybe someday but they are premium heavy as mention by kmp in this thread awhile back.

My opinion - I wish Emirates or Turkish had 787's and went two-three daily. A380 is more suited for Lufthansa and British Airways ops in Boston.

Emirates has high lf%, feed from jetblue, and boston o&d to from middle east, India, Africa. They still have a great deal of room for growth here. I think we may see multiple daily emirates a380s here soon enough, unless an Indian carrier jumps in soon, which seems unlikely right now.

Emirates has high lf%, feed from jetblue, and boston o&d to from middle east, India, Africa. They still have a great deal of room for growth here. I think we may see multiple daily emirates a380s here soon enough, unless an Indian carrier jumps in soon, which seems unlikely right now.

They've had high LF on single daily 77W - Lets see how double 77W's fare along with Qatar Airways A359.

We gone from the following quite rapidly for Gulf Carriers.

266 daily seats each way - March 2014 - July 2014
354 daily seats each way - July 2014 - September 2015
708 daily seats each way - September 2015 - mid March 2016
991 daily seats each way - mid March 2016

That's over 700000 seats a year in both directions and I'm not including El Al or Turkish though the latter gets some European traffic.

The Gulf carriers are ideally positioned to connect the world. This map (from the Wikipedia article on "Center of Population") puts the world's population center "somewhere north of South Asia" (the deep-blue/purple on the map below)
400px-WorldCenterOfPopulation.png

It doesn't take much fiddling to see that the Gulf states are right in the middle of this. ANother way of seeing it is noting how the Gulf states are basically on the line between the world's geo-center and the geo-center of the "Human Hemisphere" where 93% of Humanity lives:
human-hemisphere_sm.png

While LON/PAR/FRA might be the better "First World" hubs, as the world equalizes, the Gulf States are ideally positioned for "humanity's" travel needs.

That's actually fascinating how that center of population map looks like a map of day/ night. Are humans just tuned to a certain seasonal sun cycle beyond the 24 hour circadian rhythm?

Or did we just grow in a radial pattern from the cradle of civilization?

That's actually fascinating how that center of population map looks like a map of day/ night. Are humans just tuned to a certain seasonal sun cycle beyond the 24 hour circadian rhythm?

Or did we just grow in a radial pattern from the cradle of civilization?

A big part is just that we like/need land, and the Pacific Ocean takes up most of the unpopulated hemisphere, explaining its emptiness. The other part is that India and China have had great agriculture for a long time, explaining their fullness. In between, Europe had Guns, Germs & Steel, and then sent themselves (and enslaved Africans) to re-populate the Americas (which may have had as many as 100m people and cities bigger than most of Europe in 1491)

Note: the Human Hemisphere is centered on a spot in Switzerland, while the total human population is centered somewhere in the "-stans" countries. You can see why Turkey and the Gulf States make such great places for a global hub (that, and cheap/subsidized costs from fuel to labor).

Last edited:

Back