Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Flying out of C yesterday, I noticed construction beyond the C to E connector. It looked like they're filling out the wing of C that isn't where Emirates flies out of...I don't think room would possibly allow for another gate...perhaps a lounge or more retail?

Flying out of C yesterday, I noticed construction beyond the C to E connector. It looked like they're filling out the wing of C that isn't where Emirates flies out of...I don't think room would possibly allow for another gate...perhaps a lounge or more retail?

SouthEnder -- I think its a Lounge [possibly even just a temporary lounge] until the new upstairs lounges are built in the A380 enhancement to E

Airline Clubs (Club, Level 4)
Three new 8,000-square foot premium passenger clubs would be located above the new holdrooms at Gates E10 (7B), E11 (8A), and E12 (8B). The clubs would be accessed through the existing vertical circulation core, which would be reconfigured to contain two passenger elevators and a public stairway. All three clubs provide separate access to the adjacent gates through passenger boarding bridge portals, each club being associated with the airline using that gate. In the event an airline whose members may be using the club has aircraft departing from different gates, these would be accessed through the primary vertical circulation core.

Last edited:
SouthEnder -- I think its a Lounge [possibly even just a temporary lounge] until the new upstairs lounges are built in the A380 enhancement to E

So they might have international flights from that pier as well? I know they already have a lounge that used to be United's and is what is used for Emirates flights, but this would be interesting. I think JetBlue has a lounge in JFK, so maybe they're echoing it in BOS, too!

I could see JetBlue doing a lounge, especially as they court business travels and launch MINT. The waiting area in C at the gates is painfully small even when just 1 plan is boarding, let alone at peak times.

I could see JetBlue doing a lounge, especially as they court business travels and launch MINT. The waiting area in C at the gates is painfully small even when just 1 plan is boarding, let alone at peak times.

I am pretty sure I read something from JetBlue that lounges would follow their launch of Mint service in select cities.

just looked at quarterly statistics and Logan is up more than 11% in Q1. I couldn't find a faster growing airport in North America...11% is right up there when compared to some of the larger EM's out there...pretty impressive stuff for an airport that hasn't added a new runway or material new terminal capacity.

https://www.massport.com/media/390418/0316-avstats-airport-traffic-summary.pdf

Keep this up and Logan will pass both Detroit and Minneapolis in the next 18 months in terms of PAX...after that it's Newark or bust.

I've asked this before but I'm curious at what levels of PAX will drive a substantial increase in Gate expansion. Every 10% is close to 4mm PAX a year..that's a lot of folks in an already congested area

^^^^^ Indeed very impressive numbers. I am probably one of the 11% and have been flying a great deal more this year. I think overall the airport is holding up quite well. The new garage addition was completed just in time. What Logan does need is a true rapid transit connection to the city. the Silver line really isn't a help when we are seeing these kind of numbers and the Blue line connection is far from perfect. Maybe a side branch from the existing blue line along the terminals??

^^^^^ Indeed very impressive numbers. I am probably one of the 11% and have been flying a great deal more this year. I think overall the airport is holding up quite well. The new garage addition was completed just in time. What Logan does need is a true rapid transit connection to the city. the Silver line really isn't a help when we are seeing these kind of numbers and the Blue line connection is far from perfect. Maybe a side branch from the existing blue line along the terminals??

Novacat and FlyingDutchman -- A lot of Logan increased demand is coming from the new International Connections and a lot of that is coming from the Seaport / Innovation District and companies such as Vertex -- and very soon GE

The Silver Line works very well in that context and would work even better if the tunnel that ends at the World Trade Center Station was extended under D to Silver Line Way and a private connection was made to the Ted William Tunnel

I would make Silver Line Way [under] the prime Silver Line destination [direct from South Station all electric with no surface traffic interference] with every other bus ending there and looping back and the rest heading to Logan with connections made at the Blue Line Station to Chelsea and other destinations and connections made at Silver Line Way Under for Cruise Port, Marine Industrial Park and South Boston

This is all imminently doable at relatively minimal cost compared to any expansion of the subway including the Red-Blue Connector. You could pay for all of the Silver Line improvements by allowing aggressive development on the existing Silver Line Way lot with everything else put underground as in the combined Red Line and Bus Station @ Harvard Sq. I'd also move the Charlie Card gates to the lower level in the Court House Station and allow the use of the upper level for retail and underground connections to the buildings near by

On the Massport Side while the A-380 Enhancements wont directly add gates to Term E -- the conversion of 3 cramped and flow constrained gates into the A-380 class capable gates actually adds significant passenger capacity

The rest of the A-380 enhancement includes [illustrative but not an exhaustive list]:
  • renumbering of gates in Term E
  • new passenger hold space
  • new post security screening retail
  • increasing the pre-boarding screening lanes to 10,
  • adding 3 new lounges
  • C-E connector -- a major change
    • the obvious one is code sharing allowing a Jet Blue flight domestic passenger deplaning at C to board an International flight at E
    • an International passenger clears passport control in E and becomes a domestic passenger boarding Jet Blue at a gate in C -- not clear if this works if the passenger has baggage that needs to pass through customs
    • the unsung hero -- enables for the first time passengers to deplane at any C gate from overseas travel through the C-E connector and pass through passport control and customs as if they had landed at an E-gate -- a good interim international capacity enhancement

This combined project will in 2 years [2018 estimated completion] have effectively remade Term E for the 2nd time since its original construction -- essentially E3.0

In the preliminary planning stages is the Next gen Term E which will include:
  • the much talked about passenger connector from E to the Blue Line
  • adding significant additional passport and customs screening capacity for deplaning passengers
  • adding significant new baggage handling
  • and adding up to 7 new gates with their associated amenities

As a result of the recent work that connected B1 to B2, completing the moving walkways connecting the terminals and parking, adding parking, consolidation of all security screening at one point in C and the above projects involving E -- by 2025 we are looking at E4.0 and essentially a remade Logan in 10 years

Novacat and FlyingDutchman -- A lot of Logan increased demand is coming from the new International Connections and a lot of that is coming from the Seaport / Innovation District and companies such as Vertex -- and very soon GE

The Silver Line works very well in that context and would work even better if the tunnel that ends at the World Trade Center Station was extended under D to Silver Line Way and a private connection was made to the Ted William Tunnel

I would make Silver Line Way [under] the prime Silver Line destination [direct from South Station all electric with no surface traffic interference] with every other bus ending there and looping back and the rest heading to Logan with connections made at the Blue Line Station to Chelsea and other destinations and connections made at Silver Line Way Under for Cruise Port, Marine Industrial Park and South Boston

This is all imminently doable at relatively minimal cost compared to any expansion of the subway including the Red-Blue Connector. You could pay for all of the Silver Line improvements by allowing aggressive development on the existing Silver Line Way lot with everything else put underground as in the combined Red Line and Bus Station @ Harvard Sq. I'd also move the Charlie Card gates to the lower level in the Court House Station and allow the use of the upper level for retail and underground connections to the buildings near by

On the Massport Side while the A-380 Enhancements wont directly add gates to Term E -- the conversion of 3 cramped and flow constrained gates into the A-380 class capable gates actually adds significant passenger capacity

The rest of the A-380 enhancement includes [illustrative but not an exhaustive list]:
  • renumbering of gates in Term E
  • new passenger hold space
  • new post security screening retail
  • increasing the pre-boarding screening lanes to 10,
  • adding 3 new lounges
  • C-E connector -- a major change
    • the obvious one is code sharing allowing a Jet Blue flight domestic passenger deplaning at C to board an International flight at E
    • an International passenger clears passport control in E and becomes a domestic passenger boarding Jet Blue at a gate in C -- not clear if this works if the passenger has baggage that needs to pass through customs
    • the unsung hero -- enables for the first time passengers to deplane at any C gate from overseas travel through the C-E connector and pass through passport control and customs as if they had landed at an E-gate -- a good interim international capacity enhancement

This combined project will in 2 years [2018 estimated completion] have effectively remade Term E for the 2nd time since its original construction -- essentially E3.0

In the preliminary planning stages is the Next gen Term E which will include:
  • the much talked about passenger connector from E to the Blue Line
  • adding significant additional passport and customs screening capacity for deplaning passengers
  • adding significant new baggage handling
  • and adding up to 7 new gates with their associated amenities

As a result of the recent work that connected B1 to B2, completing the moving walkways connecting the terminals and parking, adding parking, consolidation of all security screening at one point in C and the above projects involving E -- by 2025 we are looking at E4.0 and essentially a remade Logan in 10 years

Interesting stuff...thanks for this. Seems like they have been updating and managing the growth quite well given the constrained space. Speaking of terminal E, is this the one that Modern kept screwing up during construction until it went under? Also, any annecdotal stories on wait times for international arrivals? wondering if it is still a big issue.

[*] C-E connector -- a major change

First comment is right - but it extends to interline booked on a single ticket since JetBlue doesn't codeshare with all of these airlines

Second Comment - All international arrivals must go through TSA after going through customs. Isn't their going to be a dedicated screening area for this within the connector?

Third Comment - Are you sure about this - My thought is that C gates cannot take flights requiring CBP - you need sterile walkway/diverter to CBP.

As i read the EIS from 4-5 years ago, the post-security connector between C and E is departures level only, an arriving passenger at C can go directly to E, remaining in post-security.

There is no sterile connector for arrivals, unless one is on a flight where you are pre-cleared at origin and arrive at a C gate, thus no arrivals from E to a C departure, without again going through security.

Somewhere I recall reading a note that one of the low number E gates was being reserved for El Al, as that gate had additional security.

IIRC, the total amount of new space being created for the C-E connector was 3500 sq ft.

just looked at quarterly statistics and Logan is up more than 11% in Q1. I couldn't find a faster growing airport in North America...11% is right up there when compared to some of the larger EM's out there...pretty impressive stuff for an airport that hasn't added a new runway or material new terminal capacity.

https://www.massport.com/media/390418/0316-avstats-airport-traffic-summary.pdf

Keep this up and Logan will pass both Detroit and Minneapolis in the next 18 months in terms of PAX...after that it's Newark or bust.

I've asked this before but I'm curious at what levels of PAX will drive a substantial increase in Gate expansion. Every 10% is close to 4mm PAX a year..that's a lot of folks in an already congested area

True the increase in passengers is great, however remember last year how many days Logan Airport was shut down because of snow? I believe that may have made Q1 2015 numbers artificially low. It's great how much Logan PAX is expanding though, shows that the economy is expanding in the Boston area.

True the increase in passengers is great, however remember last year how many days Logan Airport was shut down because of snow? I believe that may have made Q1 2015 numbers artificially low. It's great how much Logan PAX is expanding though, shows that the economy is expanding in the Boston area.

TVsmith -- look at the data for 2014, 2015 and the partial data for 2016 -- International Travel at Logan is growing very very fast

However to keep growing in passengers the infrastructure needs another round of upgrades -- particularly as discount flights to/from Europe are here and more coming

As i read the EIS from 4-5 years ago, the post-security connector between C and E is departures level only, an arriving passenger at C can go directly to E, remaining in post-security.

There is no sterile connector for arrivals, unless one is on a flight where you are pre-cleared at origin and arrive at a C gate, thus no arrivals from E to a C departure, without again going through security.

Somewhere I recall reading a note that one of the low number E gates was being reserved for El Al, as that gate had additional security.

IIRC, the total amount of new space being created for the C-E connector was 3500 sq ft.

Stellar -- the sq ft in C- E is deceptive as there is a significant amount of repurposing of space in both C and E that had been used for other than direct passenger functions

Besides the C-E connector is just the first phase of a multiphase upgrade over the next 10 years to the capacity of the overall International Complex of Terminal Gates and support infrastructure

More of the flights will be precleared overseas as is done with Canadian Flights today -- that will enable much greater flexibility with gate use not just for International departure but International precleared arriving flights and code shares

Next years opening of the A380 upgrade essentially is equivalent to building a mini terminal with 3 new high capacity gates with all the accoutrements to handle much larger simultaneous arrivals and departure crowds -- except for the processing capacity of the Passport and Customs area

Operational circa 2025 -- The Next Gen of Term E with the long awaited West Concourse and the direct passenger link to the Airport Blue Line T will add at least the 3 new gates [already approved but never used] and possibly up to 7 -- it will be essentially another International terminal with its own baggage processing and most likely expanded Passport and Customs

The challenge is the interim between C-E & A380 in the next 2 years is to manage through the wait for West Concourse and Blue Line passenger connector. That's why the C - E is so important as well as other small things being done in C and E

So not quite logan but Cape Air is investigating doing seaplane routes between NYC and Boston

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...lane-boston/Fwvr73nduvSee8G4FjFjQL/story.html

Limited appeal...but its relative novelty will give it some genuine appeal. If Cape Air, which is a decently tight-run ship, thinks it can make money doing this it seems like a worthy addition to the mix. I don't know what infrastructure it entails to support seaplanes. Shouldn't be too expensive, but I imagine there are some regulatory wrinkles and requirements that the wharves in question have easy access for on-spot repair/inspection or fueling (meaning, more likely Logan or the Eastie docks in spitting distance of Logan than Seaport). As long as the support structures don't require too much in the way of public funding this is a pretty neat thing to add to our smorgasboard of air/land/water/underground transportation.

Back