Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Where to see flights landing really depends on wind direction and weather. There are 3 main flight landing patterns, over Constitution Beach (planes coming in South), over Winthrop (planes coming in W/SW), and over Castle Island (planes coming in North). Planes typically land into the wind (ie. if the wind direction is north, planes will land coming in South, over Constitution Beach).

I would recommend you check a flight tracking site like flightradar24.com or flightaware.com before heading out.

Living in the North Shore I'm lucky enough see part of the descent of many of these planes and can simply walk outside after taking a peek at one of those sites. Not having a good SLR camera and due to elevation of plane I can't get any good photos of a Norwegian 787. Was also successful in seeing the Qatar A350 yesterday as well.

If approved by the feds and if it becomes a full merger which is a little gray right now, Alaska will have transcons from Boston to LAX, SF, SD, Seattle and Portland.

They've been getting closer to American but now will be a competitor to them primarily in LAX.

JetBlue is also supposed to extend the schedule to Jan 2017 at noon. I wonder if a new Caribbean Saturday route will get added.

Last edited:
They are the last decent domestic airline... you would think people would start pushing back more as air travel worsens.

I was thinking about this recently. Yes, the bar has definitely been lowered for the traveling public, but in the last two years it seems that that very low bar has been raised a bit and there is a consistency of service that I think we have learned to live with. Back in the day (30 years ago) I would rate air travel as a solid B maybe B+. Now I think it's a solid B-/C+. I don't see much appetite for "push-back" among my fellow travelers.
I think the most annoying changes have been to frequent flyer programs. I used to be able to insulate myself from the worst of the low-bar-setting with Platinum status with at least one--and some years two--of the alliances on the basis of 6-8 international trips a year. Lounge access, no worries about baggage, priority seating etc. Now, those flights barely gets me to Gold and there are few benefits associated with that. Yes, this is a First World Problem that hardly competes with climate change or Trump, but to return to the point, I think this situation for the masses (of which I am now reluctantly a part ;)) is not rage-inducing.

And yet we know the majors are colluding at the expense of their customers simply from the fact that fares have not fallen as oil prices collapsed (instead profits soared to $13b/yr).

FWIW, it's official:

http://flyingbettertogether.com/

That's handy for Massport, since it clears out the Terminal B annex before the inevitable renovation (after AA consolidates in 2018 or so). It's not unlikely that Alaska ends up back in that space, actually, alongside Southwest.

Also, A.net is going to be fun today. Alaska employees have always seemed like some of the most smug jerks around that site, and they've despised Virgin America for a decade.

Alaska is going to challenge JetBlue in terms of service to the West Coast. They will have year round, at least once daily flights to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Alaska is going to challenge JetBlue in terms of service to the West Coast. They will have year round, at least once daily flights to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.

I like the word challenge! To me, it means ' to compete with' which usually means lower prices on routes that the competition is happening.

Came through Terminal E last night at one of the "peak arrival" times, about 7 PM. Eight or nine trans-Atlantic arrivals at the same time.

CBP is not prepared for this in-rush. We were literally being queued up in the hallways before the Arrivals Hall, and held back, because the room was at occupancy capacity.

My first thought was that we desperately need to expand the Arrivals and Customs Halls at Terminal E. But when I finally was allowed in, I realized that a lot of the bottleneck was personnel. Only half of the BP inspection stations had agents staffing them. So at least some of the CBP backup at Logan is self-induced by CBP via inadequate staffing.

Jeff -- did you look at the steel rising at the end of Term E

The steel is the Terminal E Renovation and Enhancements Project --aka the Enhancement of E for A-380 Aircraft Project -- it involves Conversion and Expansion of facilities at three of the high number Terminal E gates [with some renumbering] -- in reality in addition to making 3 Gates capable of handling A-380 class aircraft, the project adds lounge space on a new level and really improves the people handling capabilities at that end of Term E -- comparable to the last "renovation of E"

773604_1713272778952716_4762113584279469894_o.jpg

E Longer term -- the plan is to add more gates to E [at least 3 and possibly 7] and connect E's pre-security area with the Blue Line as well as to expand the Customs and Passport capacity

I like the word challenge! To me, it means ' to compete with' which usually means lower prices on routes that the competition is happening.

Competition goes away with this and any merger.

In Boston - its really status quo - you are just replacing Virgin America with Alaska. West Coast - you are losing a competitor.

This merger is another reason to become an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan member if you live in Boston.

Earn miles on all those transcons plus earn/burn rights Aeromexico, Air France, American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Emirates, Hainan, Icelandair.

It was confirmed today that starting in early 2017, JetBlue will be expanding its Mint Service onto additional routes and a few of them will be from Boston. Boston - Seattle, Boston San Diego and Boston-Aruba will be added.

I don't believe schedules have been released but I would assume they would be one daily each to Seattle and San Diego and then Aruba would be once weekly service.

Re: Aer Lingus to Terminal C?

Found this on FT:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-...terminal-bos-ei-flights-e-c.html#post26459929

I checked amadeus.net for early May and Memorial Day weekend Dublin/Shannon-Boston and Terminal C is listed for both departure and arrival
These questions are half-ignorant, so be patient:

Is the deal with Ireland flights still that a certain % must touch SNN?

If 100% must touch SNN (westbound) in order to pre-clear US Customs (which has been what I've seen DUB-BOS flights do), why hasn't EI long ago co-located with a partner instead of being in E?

ANd is there more background on "why now" for their move to C? Is space, partners, airside walkways, or SNN-preclearance driving it?

These questions are half-ignorant, so be patient:

Is the deal with Ireland flights still that a certain % must touch SNN?

If 100% must touch SNN (westbound) in order to pre-clear US Customs (which has been what I've seen DUB-BOS flights do), why hasn't EI long ago co-located with a partner instead of being in E?

ANd is there more background on "why now" for their move to C? Is space, partners, airside walkways, or SNN-preclearance driving it?

Openskies with USA and EU killed the Shannon Stopover and its requirements. All Boston-Dublin flights have preclearance now too.

My guess is that Massport pressured Aer Lingus to move for space issues (which could be temporary we don't know yet). I think I read they also recently upgraded the Gold Circle lounge within the last couple of years which may have made them hesitant to move.

My guess is that Massport pressured Aer Lingus to move for space issues (which could be temporary we don't know yet). I think I read they also recently upgraded the Gold Circle lounge within the last couple of years which may have made them hesitant to move.

Probably, but don't forget that Aer Lingus relocated to JetBlue's T5i facility at JFK, too. They seem to want the easy connections.

Herald story today

DOT gives a tentative OK for 
Norwegian Air’s U.S./EU flights
Donna Goodison Saturday, April 16, 2016

Norwegian Air won tentative U.S. Department of Transportation approval yesterday for its Ireland-based subsidiary’s flights between the United States and Europe — slated to include Logan International Airport’s first nonstop service to Cork, Ireland, along with possible new flights to Shannon — despite widespread objections from other airlines and unions.

The regulatory agency said budget carrier Norwegian Airline International “appears to meet DOT’s normal standards” for a permit and there “appears to be no legal basis to deny NAI’s application.”....

“A final approval, based on the Open Skies Agreement between the U.S. and EU, will be (a) win-win for consumers and the economy on both sides of the Atlantic,” Norwegian Group CEO Bjorn Kjos said in a statement.....

In September, Norwegian unveiled plans to start direct Boston-Cork service four to five times per week in May, at roundtrip fares of $300 to $350....

The DOT said the labor-related concerns “warranted proceeding with caution and careful consideration.” Its show-cause order requires objections to be filed by May 6. There is no statutory deadline for it to render its final decision.

In an October interview with the Herald, Kjos cited a long list of other potential nonstop NAI flights from Boston, including destinations in Scotland, England, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Spain.

So it looks as if the cost of getting to Europe is going to soon feel some downward pressure courtesy of Norwegian

What would cause the dramatic drop in international mail? Over 5000lbs to just 67? Is it operating out of a different airport now?

I'm interested in the answer, March 2015 seems to be a real outlier.

March 2014 was 1 pound, so the 5,463 pounds in March 2015 was a jump up out of nowhere. (March 2013: 0 pounds, March 2012: 2 pounds)

Most years, the vast majority of the international mail Logan handles comes in December.

Historical stats at:

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/about-logan/airport-statistics/

Back