Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Pier A is the American side. Pier B is the US Airways side. The language in the announcement maybe reflects US Airways' status as the "surviving" company in the merger, but it's confusing.

OK, That Pier A, Pier B designation is really counter intuitive, since the gate numbering starts on the old US Airways side (Pier B) and move upward to the old American side (Pier A).

Where did MassPort learn to count?

OK, That Pier A, Pier B designation is really counter intuitive, since the gate numbering starts on the old US Airways side (Pier B) and move upward to the old American side (Pier A).

Where did MassPort learn to count?

When they designated the piers, the terminals didn't have letters. I guess they figure that no one ever sees the pier designations outside of Massport documents.

When they designated the piers, the terminals didn't have letters. I guess they figure that no one ever sees the pier designations outside of Massport documents.

To make things worse, Terminal C has Piers A, B, C & D too.

Also, I second that Logan/Massport Projects should finally get their long-awaited and deserved own thread.

Time to turn up the speculation machine.

Norwegian has "promised" that 737 MAX 8 will be used on Transatlantic routes next summer. http://www.businessinsider.com/norwegian-air-boeing-737-max-sell-69-dollar-tickets-europe-2016-9

Should be an announcement on routes in November or December. Not sure if the DOT permit for NAI is tied into this. They might have the cost structure (allegedy) to go without the NAI license.

Boston-Cork/Edinburgh/Shannon/Birmingham are all possibilities. On the flipside, secondary airports may be in play: Providence, Hartford, White Plains, Newburgh etc.

Don't rule out a Barcelona flight for next summer just yet. Norwegian hasn't released Summer 2017 schedule for Boston yet and they have for the other US destinations. Something is up.... could be waiting to see where the NAI Permit goes.

On the OAG thread on airliners, Norwegian has loaded the summer 2017 Boston schedule this week. Not sure of times or days of week but as of now its the same as last summer: 4 weekly Gatwick 2 weekly Oslo and 1 weekly Copenhagen. The Oslo and Copenhagen flights resume in April.

As mentioned in the thread above there could be more to come with the 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Boston-Savannah has been increased to 11-12 weekly flights by JetBlute

Could Norwegian start up a Stockholm flight? That would be perfect for the max 8 or a321lr.

Could Norwegian start up a Stockholm flight? That would be perfect for the max 8 or a321lr.

I personally think they should have done the weekly Stockholm instead of Copenhagen with a 787. They were playing mind games with Scandinavian Air at the time and I've also read the Norwegian CEO doesn't like Stockholm-Arlanda's costs to operate.

Its a longer route over 3700 miles. The A321LR could be used for it since it has a longer range. The published ranges are typically given in dead air which doesn't take into account the winds across the Atlantic which can be strong in the winter. A 737 MAX 8 wouldn't make it westbound in a dense all-economy setup which I've read is Norwegian's plan. The only route to Scandinavia that could be done in a MAX 8 is Boston-Bergen.

Here's some more info on MAX 8 and ranges. The author incorrectly assumes that Norwegian would have the business class recliner seats on the flight. https://leehamnews.com/2016/09/14/maxs-first-mission-cross-atlantic/

Last edited:
On the OAG thread on airliners, Norwegian has loaded the summer 2017 Boston schedule this week. Not sure of times or days of week but as of now its the same as last summer: 4 weekly Gatwick 2 weekly Oslo and 1 weekly Copenhagen. The Oslo and Copenhagen flights resume in April.

The routes for Summer 2017 are now bookable. No difference in schedule time and day wise.

Oslo and Copenhagen flights will be operated by 787-900 which adds 53 seats per flight. They have been using 787-900 on 2 of the 4 weekly Gatwick flights.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269078/norwegian-s17-boston-aircraft-changes/

Delta to run seasonal Boston-Dublin flight from May 2017 to October 2017. I've read it will be an A330 variant and not a 757.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-welcomes-delta-route-expansion

This gives Delta non-stop service to the top 3 O+D destinations from Greater Boston and 5 out of the top 6 when the Alitalia codeshare is factored in.

Update: Press release says 757 with 164 seats and Delta is also adding Berlin/Lisbon-JFK

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/395241511.html

DL 154
depart: Boston at 9:10 p.m.
arrive: Dublin at 8:30 a.m.

DL 155
depart: Dublin at 10:15 a.m.
arrive: Boston at 12:41 p.m.

Wow an AM departure from Boston to Europe - that's a sorely needed addition to the schedule..

Since passengers departing Ireland are customs pre-cleared for the US, would this flight arrive and depart from Delta's Terminal A? If yes, then I imagine the connections would be almost seamless for those passengers who are connecting with Delta for other cities.

Since passengers departing Ireland are customs pre-cleared for the US, would this flight arrive and depart from Delta's Terminal A? If yes, then I imagine the connections would be almost seamless for those passengers who are connecting with Delta for other cities.

Yes, pax will arrive at A. I doubt DL will have much in the way of flow though. It's a low-risk route to run in the summer and pre-emptive response to B6 potential Europe service. If a few odd pax in CVG or RDU want to fly through here it's all incremental.

Connecting through here for said DL pax would be no more seamless than ATL or JFK-more flights and larger equipment gauge onto where they're going. Suppose the relatively smaller facility may be seen as a plus to some.

Yes, pax will arrive at A. I doubt DL will have much in the way of flow though. It's a low-risk route to run in the summer and pre-emptive response to B6 potential Europe service. If a few odd pax in CVG or RDU want to fly through here it's all incremental.

Connecting through here for said DL pax would be no more seamless than ATL or JFK-more flights and larger equipment gauge onto where they're going. Suppose the relatively smaller facility may be seen as a plus to some.

The connections will be the gravy but they are available to the majority of destinations served by Delta in BOS. Its a viable option for northern USA destinations without Dublin service especially Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis.

Speaking of international connections, JetBlue will be feeding Thomas Cook Manchester UK flights next summer. This works out well for those that need to fly out on a day that BOS-MAN doesn't fly since you can go through JFK. Thomas Cook in my opinion is the best value LCC since they don't nickel and dime you as much as the others (all long-haul fares have a checked bag free)

Connecting through here for said DL pax would be no more seamless than ATL or JFK-more flights and larger equipment gauge onto where they're going.

Never turn down an opportunity to avoid JFK.

There may be a case for 1-2 weekly flights to Havana but daily would be ridiculous from Boston with the embargo still intact and only certain types of tourism and business allowed.

There may be a case for 1-2 weekly flights to Havana but daily would be ridiculous from Boston with the embargo still intact and only certain types of tourism and business allowed.

International codeshares maybe.

Back