Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I love the rendering. It's not "LIKE" a LEGO car, it IS a LEGO car.

IMG00732-20101110-2007.jpg

Yeah, the diplomatic slaps in the fact that were the booting the Canadians out of Camp Mirage and refusing landing permission to the Canadian Defence Minister who was en route back from Afghanistan were not taken to too lightly here. But Nav Canada would lobby to prevent over-fly rights being taken away since Emirates and Etihad are cash cows for them (Nav Canada is the private organization responsible for Canada's ATC).

I, personally, support a moderated version of Canada's stance. The government's position for not allowing additional flights is that the flights' primary goal should be to serve the market that exists between the two countries. Given that there is little in the way of business links and an almost non-existent expat community in Canada, the daily flights serve their purpose and the UAE should not be given nearly what they're asking for (upwards of 50 weekly slots), especially since there's little evidence that any of it would be reciprocal to Canadian interests (Air Canada has shown little evidence that it wants anything to do in the Middle East beyond its current Toronto-Tel Aviv flights and a proposed Montreal-Beirut service which was to start in 2005 but got its permission revoked two days before flights were to start).

That said, Canada has no problems allowing airlines like British Airways and Lufthansa unfettered access to the Canadian market and one would have to be quite naive if they didn't think that significant amounts of people on those airlines weren't using the UK or Germany to connect to other places, particularly the same exact places that Emirates would connect people to, namely South Asia. So, I do think that the Canadian government needs to stop protecting the entrenched players who stand to lose from an increased presence by Emirates and Etihad and open the market up a little bit.

I don't think the government will engage in any more retaliatory measures. Camp Mirage was set to be closed in early-2012 anyway. However, I do think the UAE shot themselves in the foot. The CDN government will be even less likely to budge, if for no other reason than to save face.

Doesn't Air Canada codeshare and with LH? They are both in the Star Alliance.

Forgot to mention that Delta will also start seasonal service to Paris from London as well. According to this, Boston to London will be twice daily:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1187

Went through Terminal A for the first time today. Very nice. Kind of stinks that Delta couldn't get the rights to fly their international flights (along with SkyTeam partners that serve Boston as well).

Will the Continental gates be freed up when they formally merge with United?

Yes, Air Canada and Lufthansa have a profit-sharing agreement. Essentially for flights between Canada and Germany, the two airlines act as one with flights from Montr?al, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver to Frankfurt, Munich and D?sseldorf. I believe this also extends to Swiss as well. AC fly Toronto-Z?rich and Montr?al-Geneva and Swiss fly Montr?al-Z?rich, but whatever money is made is shared by the two companies.

Interesting news with the Paris flight. Looks like Delta is really trying to eat American's transatlantic lunch. Between the London flights, which AA has reduced, if not in overall capacity, in terms of prestige going from two daily 777s to a daily 767 and two 757s, and now a flight to CDG which, given the joint-venture between Delta and Air France, means that Delta and Air France will offer three flights to American's daily 757, Delta is smelling blood in the water with AA and Boston.

And yes, Oakley, it sucks that Terminal A wasn't built large enough to handle international traffic. Unfortunately, even if FIS was built in A, all these widebodies sitting at the gates all afternoon would mean that DL wouldn't have enough gates to support their domestic operation. What I would love to see is FedEx moved to Worcester, Manchester and/or Providence and that area be used for additional airline service as well. That area, built to A380 capacity could easily handle another 5-6 gates. That could easily support SkyTeam (Delta, Air France and Alitalia) which would ease strain on Terminal E.

Anyway, looking to be a blockbuster year for international service. All the usual suspects will be back (increased flights/equipment on Icelandair, Lufthansa, Air France and British Airways) and new flights on Delta to London and Paris.

Lufthansa and Swiss are essentially the same airline as Lufthansa owns them, same with Austrian.

AA, now with the JV with British Airways and Iberia, are in fine position of the Boston-Europe market. They now offer customers year round service to Madrid and London, both massive hubs, and seasonal service to Paris.

Lufthansa/Swiss has year round service to Zurich, Munich and Frankfurt.

Delta/Air France/Alitalia have year round service to London, Rome, Amsterdam and Paris.

In terms of destinations Sky Team has the edge, but in terms of flight numbers and capacity, One World has the most. I think One World will hang on to things in BOS thanks in large part to British Airways and the large amount of loyalty fliers they have in the area.

The passenger numbers through October have been released by Massport. The numbers look good so far through 10 months, up 7.3% over 2009. It's safe to say 2010 will be up by a good clip over 2008 and 2009, but fall just short of the record breaking 2007 numbers.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/airline-capacity-map.htm

According to that map only a few states are ahead of MA in terms of capacity offered over last year (using November data). In fact, capacity at Logan is up 9% over last year, though MAs numbers are brought down by reductions in capacity at other airports in the state, namely the Cape and the Islands airports.

Glad to see the passenger numbers are up. The past 10 years truly have been a 'lost decade' for Logan, in the fact that numbers are essentially the same as they were in 2001 before air travel collapsed following 9/11. They hit a peak in 2007 and then deflated some since. I imagine if the numbers had history turned out differently and the numbers continued to grow from 2001, we'd probably be looking at around 31 million today. No point in the what-ifs, however. Just glad to see traffic rebounding, at one of the highest rates of any airport in the country, I might add.

Is there a site that shows the # of travelers going between airports? I am trying to see the top destinations for passengers out of several airports. Any help on finding ways to size this market would be great.

Also, check Wikipedia. Some articles on certain airports have been updated with tables with the top 10 domestic markets (with data from the BTS) from those airports. I know Logan, JFK and Dulles have this now. Not sure if others do but it might be worth a check.

Thank you both. The gov't one was the best in providing top ten domestic markets from the major airports I am looking at. What I need now is to round it out with secondary markets, like Boston to Las Vegas. If you stumble across more complete numbers let me know. I will keep looking. Thanks for the help!

Looks like Turkish Airlines will come to Boston by 2013.

http://en.trend.az/capital/business/1826209.html

It's nice to read them actually saying it, but at the same time, I will believe it when I see it. I am not doubting the viability i 3-4 weekly BOS-IST flights, but Turkish have a habit of throwing cities around they they "intend" to start service to, and then never do.

Also to note. JetBlue is going to running non-stop Boston to Portland, OR daily flights on a seasonal basis from early May through early September.

Wish JetBlue would start flying BOS-CMH again. I miss them on that route.

It's nice to read them actually saying it, but at the same time, I will believe it when I see it. I am not doubting the viability i 3-4 weekly BOS-IST flights, but Turkish have a habit of throwing cities around they they "intend" to start service to, and then never do.

Also to note. JetBlue is going to running non-stop Boston to Portland, OR daily flights on a seasonal basis from early May through early September.

Doesn't Turkish Airlines have a large wide-body aircraft order?

JetBlue also added thrice-weekly flights to Santiago, DR. The Portland-Boston route will be competitive now with JetBlue and Alaska flying it.

Jetblue is adding Service to Newark next month and just begun service to Turks and Caicos from BOS. Just got my email notice.

I've heard the Turkish rumour for years. Apparently, they've been on Massport's radar as an airline of interest for some time. I actually would put some stock into what they're saying. They are trying to set up Istanbul as a competitor to the Gulf region hubs (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, etc.), so they'd be wise to jump into some markets that have a fairly strong local market in addition to connections. Boston has one of the larger Turkish populations in North America. However, they do need better connections to places like India, in order to compete with airlines like Emirates or Etihad Airways. A 3-5x weekly A330-200 with 250 seats is entirely feasible, especially if they increase their South Asian offerings.

Actually, an airline that one might keep an eye out for Middle East service is Qatar Airways. They typically try to jump into markets that are underserved before Emirates can get to them. For instance, they were the first in Washington DC, many secondary European markets and they just announced service to Montreal.

And Emirates, of course, has a massive backlog of aircraft on order. They will need to fly them somewhere. And with them really getting to critical mass with such a huge range of destinations and available flights, there are increasingly fewer cities that don't have them global demand for those flights.

Back