Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW, the ticketing area of Terminal E (or is it now D?) really is stunning with it's wood/glass interior! Definitely one of my favorite terminals in all the airports I've traveled through. Departure side however, not so much!

Really? I am often leaving from E and thinking that it looks ridiculously cheap for an "international" terminal. Is that even real wood? It looks like plastic paneling.

I totally agree with you that the hodge-podge linking of the terminals is very unfortunate and, again, sends a really bad signal to visitors. I don't say many good things about Atlanta, but Hartsfield is so much more rational and efficient than Logan.

Terminal A and E have such a great link because....

Sorry to again be incredulous, but THAT is a "great link"??? It's a 10 minute hike between E and A! Yes, you are inside a covered walkway so yes, they are "linked," but great...

So many other airports have figured this out. Every year that goes by makes this Rube Goldberg contraption of an airport more of an embarassment. There are aspects of many of terminals that are attractive and modern, but they're cobbled together into one of the least elegant travel "solutions" imaginable.

What they should do is shift all the terminals closer to Airport, and I don't know why they don't...

Move E to where the freight is, right across the street from Airport.
Split C and D again, placing D between the new E and the current E.
Place C where E is now.
Move B to the current C.
Combine the two A terminals and put them where B is now.
Take the freight and put it down where A is now.

It would make it much easier to walk from Airport to the actual airport (or at least E, D, and C), and it would be easier to have a linear light rail line running from Airport/Terminal E to Terminal A.

Though, why go through that work when the airport should be in the ocean? :D

What they should do is shift all the terminals closer to Airport, and I don't know why they don't...

Move E to where the freight is, right across the street from Airport.
Split C and D again, placing D between the new E and the current E.
Place C where E is now.
Move B to the current C.
Combine the two A terminals and put them where B is now.
Take the freight and put it down where A is now.

If only it were that easy...

Sorry to again be incredulous, but THAT is a "great link"??? It's a 10 minute hike between E and A! Yes, you are inside a covered walkway so yes, they are "linked," but great...

IMO yes, the walkway between Terminal A and E is a great connection! Instead of waiting for a crowded bus outside or for a crowded tram inside, then standing in the crowd with your carry-on's and everyone else's carry-ons till you reach your terminal, you simply take an escalator up to the glass-enclosed, air conditioned walkway with great views of the city, colorful mosaics on the floor, and either walk or hop on the moving sidewalk and in a few short, stress-free minutes (unless your plane was late and you're cutting it close!) you're at your terminal destination! I only wish all the terminals at Logan were connected by these walk-ways! And you don't have to go outside as Ericyow mentioned in an earlier post, to cross from the AA side to the US Airways side of Terminal B, you also can also use the walkways for that route as well.

No question that a passageway, no matter how lengthy, is better than no passageway at all. My point was that it is setting the bar REALLY LOW to say that this is a "great" way to transfer between terminals. It is better than any of the other Logan options (and I use it all the time), but in most cities this would be a cause for disappointment rather than celebration.

Really? I am often leaving from E and thinking that it looks ridiculously cheap for an "international" terminal. Is that even real wood? It looks like plastic paneling.

I totally agree with you that the hodge-podge linking of the terminals is very unfortunate and, again, sends a really bad signal to visitors. I don't say many good things about Atlanta, but Hartsfield is so much more rational and efficient than Logan.

It is real wood, albeit a veneer so that the lights behind can shine through. They did experiment with some kind of lighting sequence for a while but I don't know what happened to that.

I used to work in Terminal E and get off in Terminal A because it's faster to walk than take the shuttle bus around the airport, particularly the clusterf*ck that is Terminal C. If it took you 10 minutes, you aren't trying very hard. It never took me more than 5 minutes, unless I wanted to be lazy and let the moving walkways do the work.

Logan isn't perfect, but much of its layout and why it can be a hassle is, unlike the airports of many of the cities we on here like to look down upon, Logan was never designed to be a hub. Atlanta is a breeze because it's always been Delta, AirTran and, before them, Eastern Airlines's hub. Same thing with Dallas or Houston. Kennedy is a marginal hub for a few airlines mainly because of the large traffic base that allows varied international flights to connect with domestic.

I'm not defending Logan, but that fact is most people never have to go between B and E or C and A, because if you're flying to Boston you're usually beginning or ending your trip there, not transferring like the thousands that do every day Atlanta or Chicago. And for those who are connecting, it's often on the same airline, in the same terminal. International flights generally only have about 10% (30-40 people) per flight connecting.

If you want a pain, try going from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 at LAX.

Hardly surprising. JetBlue has been growing Logan for quite some time.

I can see them filling in some holes in their network to places like:

Houston- Hobby
Caribbean Flying

While increasing services to places like:

Chicago - O'Hare
Las Vegas (considering USAirways has pretty much cut it)
Charlotte

It would be great if JetBlue opened up Philadelphia. There is going to an LCC hole with Southwest cutting the route in early 2012. USAirways will return to their monopoly on the route.

Worcester being used as a real airport = good news.

It could be our very own Dulles or Newark.

So many other airports have figured this out. Every year that goes by makes this Rube Goldberg contraption of an airport more of an embarassment. There are aspects of many of terminals that are attractive and modern, but they're cobbled together into one of the least elegant travel "solutions" imaginable.

Tomb and Urb...

You folks obviously don't remember the old Logan of terminals A (the Yamasake), B (prety much as it is), C (United and TWA), D and the old E (International and domestic NW).

By comparison after spending about $4B -- Logan is a virtually a new airport within the constraints that the feetprints of the terminals couldn't change much (except for the new Terminal A with its satelllite addition), the absorption of D into C and the growth of E into the space formerly where the access roads were located.

As for errors by omission:
1) the lack of consolidated check-in and ticketing at Central Parking with the new Blue Line station located under the garge -- hard to fix now
2) connection between C and E inside -- especially if Jet Blue, SouthWest and the Cape & Islands become the tennants of C -- which will have some % going to/fro vis a vis International carriers

What can and should be done:
1) Move all non-Intenational flights out from E -- Soutthwest should take over United in C as United/US Air gets consolidated into B(2)
2) Expand International Terminal again for more hold room post security and more gate space -- mostly likely in a wing extending perperndicularly to the main body of E at the far end -- could use a large multi-use business lounge as well
3) Gerbil-tube elevated belt of moving walks connecting those points not yet connected: A (near to Parking Garage) - B2 (United/US-Air) above the floor of A -- includng internal connection of B2 to the existing gerbil tube structure; B1 (American) -- C -- E

These would complete the transformation of Logan from a strictly arrival / departure airport to one with relative ease of connections especially with the growing number of International flights and passengers -- think Boeing 787

Note that a couple of days ago Massport announced the initiation of a process to reconstruct the existing 11 checked lugggage screening points into a centralized baggage screening point interconnected with a system of belts feeding luggage from all of the ticketing / luggage check-in points -- Big Dig-scale-of-complexity

Logan is on pace to have its busiest year ever. Through August, 19.47 million people have flown through, which tops this point in 2007 (the busiest year ever) which stood at 19.24 million people.

Logan is on pace to have its busiest year ever. Through August, 19.47 million people have flown through, which tops this point in 2007 (the busiest year ever) which stood at 19.24 million people.

Next year by this time -- there will have been more than ten thousand who will have flown in a 787 to / fro Tokyo

Moves at Logan.

globegiftastic__1319708841_1454.gif

Graphic from the Globe. Story here.

http://www.boston.com/business/arti...ge_terminals_at_logan_airport/?p1=Local_Links

Well this is good news. Hadn't heard anything about it.

Massport Breaks Ground on East Boston Bypass Road
10/28/2011

Ground Breaking for East Boston Bypass Road
Road dedicated in honor of East Boston community organizer Martin “Marty” Coughlin

BOSTON – The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) today joined federal, state and local officials to break ground on a $25 million bypass road in East Boston that will provide limited commercial access between Boston Logan International Airport and Chelsea Street, near the Chelsea Street Bridge.

The new road is expected to improve traffic on residential streets significantly by removing commercial airport traffic from East Boston streets, and improve air quality by reducing vehicle emissions such as volatile organic compounds and oxides of nitrogen. The idea of a bypass road was first promoted 40 years ago by Martin A. “Marty” Coughlin, an East Boston community organizer, as a means of minimizing airport traffic on residential streets in the communities surrounding Logan Airport. In honor of Coughlin’s efforts, Massport is naming the roadway the Martin A. Coughlin Bypass Road. Coughlin died in 2000 at the age of 56. Massport estimates the bypass road will reduce bus and truck traffic on Neptune Road by 64 percent and on Chelsea Street by 54 percent.

“This is a major investment and we look forward to a new two-lane bypass road 12 months from now when we officially open it leaving the East Boston community improved traffic flow as well as improved air quality with the removal of a significant amount of airport-related commercial traffic from local streets,” said Massport Interim CEO David Mackey.

The two-lane roadway will be used by airport-related commercial traffic only and will consist of Massport shuttle buses which transport airport workers to and from a 1,500 space garage in Chelsea, taxis and MBTA buses serving Logan Airport and cargo vehicles.

“I am very pleased to be here today at this groundbreaking ceremony and I thank Massport for advancing the bypass road, which will provide such a benefit to the community. The bypass road will take trucks off residential streets, improve air quality and enhance local neighborhoods. I have been fighting for this project since I took office and although it took a long time to get to this day, I look forward to the completion of the bypass road,” stated Congressman Mike Capuano.

As Coughlin envisioned, the road will run along an abandoned CSX rail corridor between Frankfort Street and Lovell Street where a traffic light will be placed. The northern end of the bypass, which will run about one-half mile in length, will split with northbound traffic intersecting Chelsea Street via a former rail spur slightly north of Beck Street. Southbound traffic will enter the bypass roadway at Beck Street.

“I am very excited about this long-anticipated project because of the positive, measurable benefits that will be realized for our environment and residents,” said Senator Anthony Petruccelli. ”It is very appropriate that the road be named in honor of Marty Coughlin.’’ City Councilor Salvatore LaMattina agreed saying he worked with Coughlin to promote the idea in the 1980s. The bypass road “has been a long time coming,” LaMattina said.

Other local amenities include landscaping along Frankfort Street and a bicycle and pedestrian path linking the East Boston Greenway through Breman Street Park with the Bennington Street Neptune Road area. The project will create 46 construction jobs and is expected to be complete in October 2012.

“I am very happy that this bypass road will soon be open,” said State Representative Carlo Basile. “It will be a great thing for the community of East Boston, as it will improve traffic congestion and air quality in our streets. This has been a long awaited improvement and I am particularly pleased that this is being named it in honor of Marty Coughlin, who had the vision of this project and who dedicated his life to improving our neighborhood.”

Boston, serves as the gateway to the New England region and offers nonstop service to 70 domestic and 32 international destinations and in 2010 handled 27.4 million passengers. Boston Logan is the Air Line Pilot Association’s Airport of the Year for 2008 because of its commitment to safety. Over the past decade, the airport spent $4.5 billion on a modernization program that includes new terminals, parking facilities, roadways and airport concessions, and has been transformed into a world-class 21st Century facility. The airport generates $7 billion in total economic impact each year.

You can find us on Facebook at facebook.com/bostonlogan and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/bostonlogan.

The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) operates Boston Logan International Airport, the Port of Boston, Hanscom Field and Worcester Regional Airport. Massport is a financially self-sustaining public authority whose premier transportation facilities generate more than $8 billion annually, and enhance and enable economic growth and vitality in New England.

http://www.massport.com/news-room/News/MassportBreaksGroundonEastBostonBypassRoad.aspx

Don't know i this is the correct thread, but the Consolidated Car rental facility is moving along. The temporary building for Hertz will be open at the end of February, with demolition of the current building to follow shortly.

Does that include consolidated (shared) rental-car shuttle buses? I hope so, as that would remove a lot of motor traffic from the airport loop roads.

RIP Potential Heavy Rail Urban Ring ROW

Urb -- i wouldn't worry too much -- the hypothetical Urban Ring will remain hypothetical until the Post New World Order iI Era creates new money

subsequnt to completion of the things already in the money pipeline the scale of funds at all levels for thiings like Transit expansion is going to shrink by about an order of magnifude -- which translates into much more of a lottery system or a long time on a waiting list

So if you want Urban Ring (heavy or light rail variiety) or big Dig Ii (rail tunnel) -- you had better start thinking about the 2050 timeframe

The only exception is if there are projects such as Assembly Sq. tied to a new station or such -- or of course if you can convince private money to build the transit infrastucture

Back