Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Is there a project website for the rental facility? Massport's site only has a short blurb about it. No renders or anything like that.

Is there a project website for the rental facility? Massport's site only has a short blurb about it. No renders or anything like that.

not sure. I work for one of the car rental agencies, and have seen most of the plans/blueprints/renderings. I will try and get you some today, but unfortunately, it will have to be a photo of paper renderings.

I will say the renderings I have seen, vs. the ones online are some degree different.

I believe it is going to be 5 stories broken down as such, but I will have to double check:

1.Hertz/Advantage
2.Avis/Budget
3.National/Alamo/Enterprise
4.Dollar/Thrifty.
5.Shared overflow.

With the 787 finally starting to be deliver, how long until we see one with service to and from Boston?

D'oh!

Any chance Korean Air will return to Boston from Seoul with the 787 at some point?

I saw an un-official Massport list of targets for 787 to Logan -- it included:

Mumbai / Delhi

Shanghai / Beijing

Seul

San Paulo or Rio

Tokyo

so they've got one committed so far.....

I saw an un-official Massport list of targets for 787 to Logan -- it included:

Mumbai / Delhi

Shanghai / Beijing

Seul

San Paulo or Rio

Tokyo

so they've got one committed so far.....

I would say there is a good chance that Korean Air returns with Boston-Seoul flights operated with a 787. I am willing to bet some carriers are waiting to see how Boston-Tokyo does before jumping in. But the route makes sense. Korean Air has a massive hub in Incheon that can connect passengers all over Asia.

Brazil is an interesting market. There would be no issues filling a plane year round at least 3 or 4 times a week. The problem is the yields. Most of the traffic is visiting friends/family down there. Given the long length, it would kill the financial performance. However, the 787 will of course open up routes, so who knows. Maybe in 5 or 6 years we could see a Boston-Sao Paulo route.

I think once Emirates starts Boston, which I think they will by 2015, Boston-India traffic will be taken care of.

Jet Blue continues to expand it's base at Boston Logan with news that they are going to add non-stop service to Dallas/Ft. Worth starting in May 2012 with 3 daily flights.

This follows a recent move by Spirit Airlines who is also launching non-stop flights down to Dallas/Ft. Worth from Logan.

Also, passenger numbers through October topped 24.4 million, up almost 6% from last year. Logan is still on track to have its biggest year ever for total passengers.

That's great news about JetBlue. I'd love for them to expand more in the Midwest, especially from BOS where competition is limited or non-stops do not exist: Minneapolis, Omaha, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, etc.

As I've mentioned earlier here, JetBlue used to fly to Columbus but pulled out of that market.

JetBlue leaving the BOS-CMH market had everything to do with Skybus killing yields in Columbus and says absolutely nothing about the viability of the airline entering other Midwestern markets from Boston.

Not to mention, Boston sees more traffic and/or commands higher fares for routes to/from the cities I listed than it does to Columbus.

Skybus lasted less than a year, got universally bad reviews, and tried to fill a non-existent downmarket niche. Not to mention that it flew out of Portsmouth NH rather than Logan. No way did they drive JetBlue out of that market.

Is there somewhere we can view how many people travel every day between two cities?

you think jetblue will ever go east to europe? They already fly internationally to south america, maybe they will open that up more from fll. But it would be cool to see them open up second level euro cities that arent direct. Boston-Prague is similar to BOS-LAX.

I'm getting over my head in aviation, so if someone can explain that'd be great.

JetBlue leaving the BOS-CMH market had everything to do with Skybus killing yields in Columbus and says absolutely nothing about the viability of the airline entering other Midwestern markets from Boston.

Not to mention, Boston sees more traffic and/or commands higher fares for routes to/from the cities I listed than it does to Columbus.

Sky Bus did not have any significant affect. JetBlue as a whole decided to pull out of Columbus due to competition and the fact that they lost money. Similar to the Nashville operation (although it would be nice if either them or Southwest would enter the market given it is the largest current market not served by non-stop service).

Is there somewhere we can view how many people travel every day between two cities?

You can use a couple of public sites (as already mentioned), but they can be slightly off at times. The best source is actual DOT data.

you think jetblue will ever go east to europe? They already fly internationally to south america, maybe they will open that up more from fll. But it would be cool to see them open up second level euro cities that arent direct. Boston-Prague is similar to BOS-LAX.

I'm getting over my head in aviation, so if someone can explain that'd be great.

JetBlue will not be flying to Europe anytime soon. They will continue to use their partners to send traffic across the pond. How is Boston-Prague similar to Boston-Los Angeles? Boston-Los Angeles is a massive market and bigger than any Boston-Europe markets in terms of passenger numbers. Also, I doubt we will be seeing Boston-Prague on any carrier any time soon.

JetBlue does not run deep South American routes (Santiago, Buesnos Aires, Sao Paulo, etc.) but runs a short route to Bogata. Orlando to Bogata is significantly shorter than Boston to London or Paris for example. They would need to buy new aircraft to launch European service. Then there is the issue of where they would fly to.

How is Boston-Prague similar to Boston-Los Angeles? Boston-Los Angeles is a massive market and bigger than any Boston-Europe markets in terms of passenger numbers. Also, I doubt we will be seeing Boston-Prague on any carrier any time soon.

Maybe he was thinking in terms of distance(?). Even then, there's at least a 1,200 mile difference.

Ya, i was thinking distance (even tho that's still off). I wasnt really thinking much, just more about what i want. I like jetblue and use them and their card when traveling, it would be nice to use the points and go east. but thats just a dream. thanks for the clarifications

Back