Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Thats very exciting news! The Jetblue connections in Ft Lauderdale required a very long wait

I'll stick this travel news here.

... Jonathan Grella, vice president of public affairs for the U.S. Travel Association, an industry nonprofit that seeks to increase travel to and within the United States. “We need the White House now to focus on a deliberate and explicit message of welcome to legitimate travelers.”

At risk, Grella said, is the American share of global travel boom that is beginning to bypass the country. The number of foreign visitors to the United States has remained mostly flat even as it spikes in the other top 12 destinations around the world. According to his group, the share of tourists to the U.S. from Britain, France, Germany, Brazil and Australia have fallen between 14 and 25 percent in the last two years; Turkey is the only other top destination to see a decline in that period.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f4d2a1aeef1_story.html?utm_term=.1be6ffc2d5d4

The article was mainly about decline in tourism, particularly foreign tourism, in DC.

Since the forum was down for a bit here's some changes.

1) Primera Air stated Boston-London Stansted will be seasonal but not in the typical seasonality that some carriers do (i.e Late March-Late October). Last flight of 2018 is 12/9/18. 2019 flights have not been loaded but will be returning. My guess is sometime in March. Paris-CDG flights also end in early December seasonally.

2) JetBlue will resume St. Maarten (Sat/Sun) and St. Thomas daily in mid-February 2019

3) Someone working on the ground at Logan on airliners mentioned KLM may be coming in Spring 2019. Nobody knows if its to make a 3rd daily Amsterdam flight or to replace one or both of Delta's.

Curious why JetBlue doesn't start St. Marten and St. Thomas in early January? Why wait until mid-February?

Curious why JetBlue doesn't start St. Marten and St. Thomas in early January? Why wait until mid-February?

Probably a specific estimated completion date for some kind of repairs?

Probably a specific estimated completion date for some kind of repairs?

Repairs to many resorts, the ones that could be fixed, are still not complete on either island.

Also its just in time for school vacation weeks and historically the period after Xmas and New Years has less travel to warmer areas.

KLM is starting Amsterdam to Boston. 3 times a week on A330-300 aircraft. Flights start March 31, 2019. These flights will be in addition to the 2 daily flights operated by Delta.

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/1022776292020813824?s=20

Interesting that the first thing they say about the city is that Happy Hours are prohibited by law.

It’s pretty insane to think in the last 7 years Massport has landed so many international carriers. Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Hainan Airlines, Copa Airlines, Avianca, LATAM Brasil, TAP Portugal, WOW Air, WestJet Encore, Porter Airlines, Turkish Airlines, El Al, Emirates, Qatar, Level, Aeromexico (a return for them), Norweigan Air, Primera Air, Avianca El Salvador, Scandinavian Airlines, Thomas Cook and now KLM.

KLM is starting Amsterdam to Boston. 3 times a week on A330-300 aircraft. Flights start March 31, 2019. These flights will be in addition to the 2 daily flights operated by Delta.

Glad to see its a late departure (10PM) so it hits the late morning/early afternoon bank of flights at Schiphol.

I wish they would do either an earlier 4-5PM or midnight CDG flight to hit a 3rd bank at CDG. The DL and first AF flights in peak season leave at virtually the same time.

Last edited:
It’s pretty insane to think in the last 7 years Massport has landed so many international carriers. Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Hainan Airlines, Copa Airlines, Avianca, LATAM Brasil, TAP Portugal, WOW Air, WestJet Encore, Porter Airlines, Turkish Airlines, El Al, Emirates, Qatar, Level, Aeromexico (a return for them), Norweigan Air, Primera Air, Avianca El Salvador, Scandinavian Airlines, Thomas Cook and now KLM.

Awesome to hear about KLM. BOS now gets pretty much all the major world carriers if you think about it. The only major airlines missing would be Air China, Aeroflot, China Southern, China Eastern, Singapore, Qantas, and maybe South African Airways (or Ethiopian or Kenya to get one from every region).

What is the reason behind BOS getting so many international carriers when JFK, EWR and YUL are in fairly close proximity? I guess it would imply that Boston is of far greater economic importance relative to its size...

Awesome to hear about KLM. BOS now gets pretty much all the major world carriers if you think about it. The only major airlines missing would be Air China, Aeroflot, China Southern, China Eastern, Singapore, Qantas, and maybe South African Airways (or Ethiopian or Kenya to get one from every region).

What is the reason behind BOS getting so many international carriers when JFK, EWR and YUL are in fairly close proximity? I guess it would imply that Boston is of far greater economic importance relative to its size...

Bostons CSA includes 8.1 million people, so I wouldn't call it small. That's the 6th largest in the country.

And Logan is the 16th busiest airport in the country.

Bostons CSA includes 8.1 million people, so I wouldn't call it small. That's the 6th largest in the country.

And Logan is the 16th busiest airport in the country.

I guess you're right.

I don't like CSA's though because thats a little too broad. I feel like MSA's are a more accurate representation of a city's size. Boston ranks 10th there, and will probably fall to 12th by 2030 given how fast some of the other metro areas are growing.

However I would imagine Boston's GDP is far higher than a few of cities with larger MSA's such as Atlanta and perhaps even Miami as well.

I guess you're right.

I don't like CSA's though because thats a little too broad. I feel like MSA's are a more accurate representation of a city's size. Boston ranks 10th there, and will probably fall to 12th by 2030 given how fast some of the other metro areas are growing.

However I would imagine Boston's GDP is far higher than a few of cities with larger MSA's such as Atlanta and perhaps even Miami as well.

CSA is better for airport catchment.

People drive to Logan from CT, RI and Maine to get non-stops, more convenient or cheaper flights.

CSA is better for airport catchment.

People drive to Logan from CT, RI and Maine to get non-stops, more convenient or cheaper flights.

Especially for international flights.

Outside of the part of CT closer to NYC Logan is the international airport for New England.

Especially for international flights.

Outside of the part of CT closer to NYC Logan is the international airport for New England.

I don't have numbers (it would be interesting if someone did a study) but I'd venture a guess that CT leans towards using JFK and EWR than they would BOS. I am basing this anecdotally on some family and friends who live in and around Hartford who will drive to JFK over BOS for their international flying.

Were there really no previous KLM flights to Logan? I thought for sure KLM flew here -- maybe they did years ago and are returning after a hiatus?

Were there really no previous KLM flights to Logan? I thought for sure KLM flew here -- maybe they did years ago and are returning after a hiatus?

I was thinking the same thing. But they might have been Northwest flights, code shared with KLM, that fed into the KLM network at Schiphol.

I was thinking the same thing. But they might have been Northwest flights, code shared with KLM, that fed into the KLM network at Schiphol.

KLM definitely used to fly to Logan. I flew it roundtrip to Amsterdam when my wife and I got engaged in 2000. In fact, I am not even sure if Delta was flying the route back then.

KLM definitely used to fly to Logan. I flew it roundtrip to Amsterdam when my wife and I got engaged in 2000. In fact, I am not even sure if Delta was flying the route back then.

Northwest was flying the route during that time period.

Back