Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Word is that SAS is going to cut Copenhagen - Boston for the winter season and move the flight seasonal.

That's too bad. Are they operating an a330 on the route in the winter? I wonder if there's enough demand to operate an A320Neo insead in the off-season.

I don't understand the times especially the flight from Philly to Worcester. The 8am departure from Philly makes it impossible to connect that day forcing connecting travelers to spend the night if they want to fly to Worcester. They really couldn't have made that flight a pm flight? Are they expecting to get that many business travelers who need to be in or near downtown Worcester at 9:30am? I put the over/under at 19 months.

I don't understand the times especially the flight from Philly to Worcester. The 8am departure from Philly makes it impossible to connect that day forcing connecting travelers to spend the night if they want to fly to Worcester.

I'd be pretty sure the main target is the local PHL-BOS market component that happens to be going to the arc of 495 that can't be reached from BOS, PVD or MHT. True, it isn't a "day trip" unless you go home from one of those others.

As for connecting, it isn't "impossible" because PHL has the following AA arrivals before 7:30am, all of which could connect to a ORH flight (the later ones seem like RJs in the same terminal)

6:02 AM Los Angeles
6:16 AM Phoenix
6:19 AM San Diego
6:56 AM Las Vegas
6:56 AM Harrisburg, PA
6:59 AM Wilkes-Barre
7:00 AM Washington-Reagan
7:06 AM New York-LaGuardia
7:11 AM State College PA
7:12 AM Allentown
7:12 AM Pittsburgh
7:14 AM Williamsport, PA
7:15 AM Ithaca
7:15 AM Watertown, NY
7:19 AM Roanoke
7:20 AM San Francisco
7:21 AM Raleigh/Durham
7:24 AM Newport News
7:25 AM Syracuse
7:25 AM Rochester, NY
7:25 AM Buffalo
7:26 AM Montreal- Trudeau
7:30 AM Charlottesville
7:30 AM Cincinnati, OH
7:30 AM Richmond, VA
7:30 AM Norfolk
7:31 AM Salisbury

I excluded as too circuitous:
6:59 AM New Haven
7:11 AM Boston
7:12 AM Portland, ME
7:15 AM Newburgh
7:16 AM Islip
7:17 AM Albany
7:20 AM Manchester, NH
7:21 AM Providence
7:23 AM Hartford/Springfield
7:25 AM Burlington, VT

I'd be pretty sure the main target is the local PHL-BOS market component that happens to be going to the arc of 495 that can't be reached from BOS, PVD or MHT. True, it isn't a "day trip" unless you go home from one of those others.

I'm not sure about the statistics, but I feel like those out of the way airports do better with the local crowd then with the visiting crowd that would be more likely to use Logan.

For local people I feel like a big positive to Worcester will be cheaper parking (7 bucks a day versus $26 a day for economy at Logan). Someone in say Westford or Acton might pick Worcester because it's easier to get in and out of and has cheaper parking. But a businessperson visiting Westford from another part of the country might not even know where Worcester is and picks Logan as the default option.

And I don't think that Worcester itself is a huge business travel destination. Some suburban places like Marlborough or Framingham might be, but again most people visiting those places will just fly into Logan.

Avianca has loaded Boston-San Salvador.

4 weekly Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri on Airbus A319/A320 mix starts on August 17th. I thought it would be a red-eye departure from Logan but I guess this is what they were given.

BOS-SAL 16:05-19:18
SAL-BOS 08:00-14:50

Does connect to the larger Central American cities and Bogota/Medellin/Lima in South America but all connections seem tight.

JetBlue is increasing service to Greater Los Angeles airports.

Going Double Daily on Boston-Long Beach on 9/5/18
Adding daily Boston-Burbank on 9/5/18

How'd you confirm the dates they are expanding service? I didn't see their CEO mentioned specific dates/locations yet? That would be great if true.

How'd you confirm the dates they are expanding service? I didn't see their CEO mentioned specific dates/locations yet? That would be great if true.

Got wind of it on airliners.net and did dummy bookings to nail down the date.

Also seasonal Boston-Hayden/Steamboat Springs Saturday only service staring 12/15.

First western ski resort flight (that isn't a large metro like Denver/Salt Lake City) for Logan Airport.

Press conference and announcement this afternoon for all of this West Coast Expansion.

Anyone had Steamboat Springs on their bingo card?

Because I sure as fuck didnt

Also seasonal Boston-Hayden/Steamboat Springs Saturday only service staring 12/15.

First western ski resort flight (that isn't a large metro like Denver/Salt Lake City) for Logan Airport.

Press conference and announcement this afternoon for all of this West Coast Expansion.

Wow! Jetblue, correct? I may have to take advantage of this one.

Anyone had Steamboat Springs on their bingo card?

Not Steamboat but I often wondered whether someone would try a couple times a week winter service to Eagle/Vail from Logan (probably too close to Denver to make it worthwhile). I skied Steamboat this past winter and, at the time, they had the best/most snow in the entire state of Colorado. Great mountain and town. Very excited for these flights and am curious to see what the pricing will look like for holidays weeks and non-holidays.

Can I get greedy and ask for seasonal BOS-BZN flights so I can ski Big Sky without connecting?!

The Burbank flight arrives at 4:40 am - is this going to be attractive to a lot of people?

The Burbank flight arrives at 4:40 am - is this going to be attractive to a lot of people?

I think Burbank has a departure curfew so that's the times they are using.

JetBlue has a SFO flight arriving at 5:18am too and United has a SFO fight arriving at 5:35am.

Personally I would rather arrive at 4:40am than 1am

Personally I would rather arrive at 4:40am than 1am

Really? A 1:00am arrival means I can be in my bed by 2:00am and get a solid 5 hours of sleep IN MY BED. 4:40am arrival means I "sleep" in an airplane seat for a couple of minutes off and on here and there and then need to work a full day on virtually no sleep. I suppose if you fly first class only you can get a little more sleep....

Really? A 1:00am arrival means I can be in my bed by 2:00am and get a solid 5 hours of sleep IN MY BED. 4:40am arrival means I "sleep" in an airplane seat for a couple of minutes off and on here and there and then need to work a full day on virtually no sleep. I suppose if you fly first class only you can get a little more sleep....

Lots of people fly red eyes. No, they are not ideal, but almost no routing back from the West Coast avoids losing a day in some form or another (either spending the day traveling, or spending the day after brain dead due to lack of sleep).

1pm arrival means you took off at 7pm EST, aka 4pm PST. So your day ended at 1-2pm.

Waste of a day.

I'd take the 1 AM arrival. I can't sleep on a plane. Maybe if I got one of the mint seats but not otherwise.

Back