Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Ponta Delgada to Boston is roughly the same distance as Boston to Las Vegas. I can understand if you're a business class passenger not being into a single aisle plane (I am guessing most carriers using them to/from Europe don't have special configurations for their business class). But for most people I don't see a big difference between flying a 752 to Europe in coach vs. flying a 763/333/332/772 to Europe in coach.

Someone had posted a photo of their premium cabin on instagram with the caption "just walked out of 2017 and into 1985 on a jetbridge."

That's true. Transcon (and LV is essentially transcon) is about as far as I like to go in Narrowbody coach. I'd rather fly Boston to Tokyo in coach on the 787 than Boston to San Francisco on a 737. It's not so much the seats as it is the easy of access to bathrooms and the ability to stand up and move a little bit. I'm mostly in economy, but the wide bodies are more comfortable when you start getting up there in terms of duration. I'd say this route is borderline.

Not huge news, but Azores is replacing the A310s with new A321neos on BOS - PDL. That's a cut in capacity from 244 to 186 seats. The A310s were awfully dated and I'm sure the Neos are much more modern, but that's a decent cut in capacity, and I'm still not sold on single aisle transatlantic flights.

I honestly believe that double isle trans atlantic will go the way of double isle trans continental flights. 20 or so years ago most trans continental flights were on 767s and other wide body planes.

London will probably be the exception (due to Heathrow capacity constraints).

I flew EWR-San Diego on a United 737.

DO NOT DO THIS IT WAS HELL.

On the other hand, I'd have no issue making this flight on an E-190.

I honestly believe that double isle trans atlantic will go the way of double isle trans continental flights. 20 or so years ago most trans continental flights were on 767s and other wide body planes.

London will probably be the exception (due to Heathrow capacity constraints).

I definitely think this will be the case in some markets. Boston will retain a mix because it's a big market, but smaller markets in Europe may serve Boston with next gen single aisle aircraft. You'll also see single aisles between Europe and smaller markets in the U.S. (Providence has a few between the Azores and Norwegian flights). But I definitely agree there will be more narrow body transatlantic flights.

Agreed. It's hell. I was always OK on the Jetblue A320s and 21s to SFO. They're roomier. The E190 is good because it's 2x2 so you have 2 fewer people per row. Hell, even United's dense 777-200 (3-4-3) which it flies between BOS-SFO isn't as bad as the 737 since you have 5 seats per row, per aisle (vs 6 on the 737). Bathroom queues are shorter and there's room to stand when you need a minute.

Agreed. It's hell. I was always OK on the Jetblue A320s and 21s to SFO. They're roomier. The E190 is good because it's 2x2 so you have 2 fewer people per row. Hell, even United's dense 777-200 (3-4-3) which it flies between BOS-SFO isn't as bad as the 737 since you have 5 seats per row, per aisle (vs 6 on the 737). Bathroom queues are shorter and there's room to stand when you need a minute.

Yes no issue with the Jetblue single aisles at all, or the Virgin ones.

Not huge news, but Azores is replacing the A310s with new A321neos on BOS - PDL. That's a cut in capacity from 244 to 186 seats. The A310s were awfully dated and I'm sure the Neos are much more modern, but that's a decent cut in capacity, and I'm still not sold on single aisle transatlantic flights.

I've flown SATA. Their fleet was horribly unreliable due to age. The flights I was on were not exactly packed. They don't have jetbridges at PDL and the airport facilities are tiny. Its a better sized plane for their primary airport.

Now if only they could invest in a freighter or two so they don't have to "lose" your luggage because cargo was more profitable (if you fly with them, bring 3 days worth of essentials in your carry-on)

Nonono never united, and not from EWR. NEVER AGAIN.

Boston to Seattle is going to have a ton of capacity this summer and fall. Delta is upping it to 3 times daily for June - October. JetBlue goes up to 3 daily from April through October and Alaska will be at 3 daily for the Summer and early Fall.

Boston to Seattle is going to have a ton of capacity this summer and fall. Delta is upping it to 3 times daily for June - October. JetBlue goes up to 3 daily from April through October and Alaska will be at 3 daily for the Summer and early Fall.

Preparing for Amazon

I'm surprised when info discussed on airliners.net doesn't make it over here, so for those who don't go there, we may be getting a route to chengdu from Sichuan soon.

So, right now possible new routes based on what massport wants: ICN, DEL, MXP

Possible new routes based on airlines expressing interest/intent or studying feasibility: SAL, CTU, YYC, TPE

I'm surprised when info discussed on airliners.net doesn't make it over here, so for those who don't go there, we may be getting a route to chengdu from Sichuan soon.

Possible new routes based on airlines expressing interest/intent or studying feasibility: SAL, CTU, YYC, TPE

Apart from Korean to Seoul, what else could Boston possibly support to Asia? Daily to Dubai, daily to Doha, daily to Tokyo, daily to Beijing, 3-4 weekly to Shanghai, daily to Hong Kong. Adding flights to Deli, Seoul, and Chendgu will only steal traffic from the existing service, especially a non-stop flight to India.

Apart from Korean to Seoul, what else could Boston possibly support to Asia? Daily to Dubai, daily to Doha, daily to Tokyo, daily to Beijing, 3-4 weekly to Shanghai, daily to Hong Kong. Adding flights to Deli, Seoul, and Chendgu will only steal traffic from the existing service, especially a non-stop flight to India.

Exactly what existing service though? United to EWR? Good riddance. I hate the hub and spoke model, especially where US airlines don't tend to actually invest in their hubs.

Exactly what existing service though? United to EWR? Good riddance. I hate the hub and spoke model, especially where US airlines don't tend to actually invest in their hubs.

He outlined the existing service. If you don't like hub and spoke, buy a Gulfstream.

The SAL route could be announced any time now since the CEO of Avianca said its going to be launched in their inflight magazine.

Sichuan Airlines has obtained rights to serve Boston-Chengdu (CTU) 3x weekly. The funny thing about this one is that there were hints of this online since December and no one saw it.

Possible May 2018 start date but translation may be off here though they loaded Chengdu-Zurich a couple of weeks ago with a late March start.
http://www.gochengdu.cn/news/Highlights/sichuan-airlines-to-open-4-int-l-routes-a6577.html

I don't think this CTU flights steals it just stimulates what you could call "Chinese government subsidized tourism to Boston"

He outlined the existing service. If you don't like hub and spoke, buy a Gulfstream.

True - almost all of these new international flights (except for seasonal weeklies like Barbados, Liberia-CR) are to hubs. CTU is a hub for Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines.

True - almost all of these new international flights (except for seasonal weeklies like Barbados, Liberia-CR) are to hubs. CTU is a hub for Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines.

Most long international flights would be to hubs. Hubs are strategically put where there is lots of demand for travel. I would say that Boston has to be one of the larger (by demand) markets in the world without a major hub presence (JetBlue isn't really a hub because it doesn't fly many connections at all). There is demand for an international hub here, but the US airlines have left us out to dry. Of course international carriers have definitively picked up the load in recent years.

Boston is a major global city, the international growth we are experiencing right now is just us playing catch up after the US major airlines have ignored us for so long.

And my comments on hub and spoke is meant to point out the international growth has been hurting the us3 more than anything else. And the decline in BOS-EWR traffic has been noticeable.

I would have thought that BOS to LHR would be hurt by the new additions. Although we haven't seen too much of a downturn.

I do worry about how much middle east service BOS will be able to sustain if we get some Indian routes. Don't know the exact numbers but if I had to guess more then half of Doha, or even Dubai passengers are connecting to places like India.

I would have thought that BOS to LHR would be hurt by the new additions. Although we haven't seen too much of a downturn.

I do worry about how much middle east service BOS will be able to sustain if we get some Indian routes. Don't know the exact numbers but if I had to guess more then half of Doha, or even Dubai passengers are connecting to places like India.

If LHR starts to hurt, I'd blame all the new london area flights. I think some of the London demand was previously getting diverted through us3 hubs though.

And India is and will continue to be a rapidly expanding market. It's probably a large factor in what enabled the me3 to grow as fast as they did. A direct flight to a city in India would be a small drop in the bucket.

Same with china. Both Indian and Chinese airports make for terrible connections btw so any new routes would be aimed at O&D and domestic traffic within china/india.

I don't think London demand ever went through the US airline hubs to a major extent. Makes no sense to go backwards. I believe years ago that Virgin Atlantic, BA, AA, and Delta all flew from Boston to London. Historically it has always been the dominant international route in Boston.

I believe that AA has dropped London service, but Norwegian has brought a new dynamic to that market.

Back