Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Turkish will not be affected that much since they only fly to Delhi and Mumbai. They have more destinations in Pakistan than India! Turkish added more novel 1-stops from Logan than any new carrier so far.

Absolutely. I have a brother in the Peace Corps in Rwanda and I did a multi-country trip (Rwanda and Tanzania/Zanzibar). Turkish was the only airline that would enable me to fly a 1-stop open jaw trip from BOS - Kigali (via IST) and return ZNZ - BOS via Kigali. Turkish's route map is excellent and connecting in IST is a breeze. Their service is wonderful too. I'm happier about Turkish than just about any other airline at BOS for leisure travel. Especially since they're Star Alliance.

Turkish's route map is excellent and connecting in IST is a breeze. Their service is wonderful too. I'm happier about Turkish than just about any other airline at BOS for leisure travel.

It was reading reviews like this that helped me decide to take Turkish over BA for a trip to Greece that I'm planning for September. That and the nightmare that transferring at Heathrow can be.

It was reading reviews like this that helped me decide to take Turkish over BA for a trip to Greece that I'm planning for September. That and the nightmare that transferring at Heathrow can be.

You made the right call. I'm not sure which cabin you're flying, but if you're in Economy, Turkish is significantly better. The seats, the service, everything.

Were you able to reserve seats when you booked (if you booked already)? I had to wait until 100 days out, but the good news is that Turkish doesn't restrict or markup exit rows and bulkhead seats. So on your deep discount economy ticket, you can call 100 days out from your date of travel and snag an exit row at no additional cost.

Greek friends of my mine love Turkish--despite having been disposessed and kicked out of Istanbul in the 70s!

Once the JV is finalized, I would imagine it will be only a matter of time before Seoul - Boston is launched by Korean.

Something tells me the Boston market could not handle non-stop flights to India all the while maintaining daily flights to both Doha and Dubai. The notion Emirates would bring back a second daily flight would be lost.

Once the JV is finalized, I would imagine it will be only a matter of time before Seoul - Boston is launched by Korean.

Something tells me the Boston market could not handle non-stop flights to India all the while maintaining daily flights to both Doha and Dubai. The notion Emirates would bring back a second daily flight would be lost.

There's a whole lot of people in india, and a whole lot of people in india starting to form disposable incomes. I'm pretty sure Boston can support it, it's more a matter of an Indian carrier not being completely mismanaged. All those 1 stop me3 flights to and from India are missed opportunities by Indian carriers.

Were you able to reserve seats when you booked (if you booked already)?
I was. I picked the starboard window seat in the first row of the economy section both ways between Boston and Istanbul, a bulkhead seat that got decent reviews on Seatguru. Per the reviews, the extra legroom there is debatable, but on a nine hour flight the ability to get up from my seat without disturbing the others in my row is worth it.

The IST-ATH leg is on a 777-300ER (a rather big bird for such a short hop, but whatever), so I wasn't as particular as to my seat choice and didn't pick a bulkhead.

I was. I picked the starboard window seat in the first row of the economy section both ways between Boston and Istanbul, a bulkhead seat that got decent reviews on Seatguru. Per the reviews, the extra legroom there is debatable, but on a nine hour flight the ability to get up from my seat without disturbing the others in my row is worth it.

The IST-ATH leg is on a 777-300ER (a rather big bird for such a short hop, but whatever), so I wasn't as particular as to my seat choice and didn't pick a bulkhead.

Row 6 on the A330. That's where I sat both BOS/IST legs. It's a good spot (legroom is fine, but nothing incredible 24 is better, but further back and the ability to get off quickly is nice after such a long flight). Just beware, the bassinet section is there and they may ask you to move (happened to someone on my flight). It also doesn't hurt that nobody will recline into you for the duration of the flight.

OAG thread on airliners.net had some developments this week.

1)IcelandAir is increasing to four daily Reykjavik flights for June through September - 3x 757 and 1 x 767.

Flight times (departures from Boston) are even crazier: 2:30pm, 8:15pm, 8:45pm, 9:30pm. Its practically shuttle service at peak times.

2) Delta increases frequencies on Pittsburgh (three daily), Kansas City (up to 2 daily), Jacksonville (up to 2 daily), Nashville (three daily), and Charleston-SC (now daily)

3) Alaska going to 2 daily on Portland, OR for summer.

4) Air Europa cut Boston-Madrid in this weeks filing - this may be a reshuffle or refile.

5) JetBlue appears to have added some sort of frequency on Montego Bay Jamaica service but I couldn't get it to come up on matrix but I think its double Saturday service from what I saw on their site.

Speaking of Caribbean, flights to the area, especially the JetBlue weeklies, are higher this year. I'm guessing its due to hurricane damage to St Thomas, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico has removed options for travelers thus filling up these flights. One example was Boston-Liberia 3/10-3/17 going for $2170 as of right now. Handful of seats are remaining on it per seat map (not always 100% accurate but indicative of low remaining capacity).

OAG thread on airliners.net had some developments this week.

1)IcelandAir is increasing to four daily Reykjavik flights for June through September - 3x 757 and 1 x 767.

Flight times (departures from Boston) are even crazier: 2:30pm, 8:15pm, 8:45pm, 9:30pm. Its practically shuttle service at peak times.

2) Delta increases frequencies on Pittsburgh (three daily), Kansas City (up to 2 daily), Jacksonville (up to 2 daily), Nashville (three daily), and Charleston-SC (now daily)

3) Alaska going to 2 daily on Portland, OR for summer.

4) Air Europa cut Boston-Madrid in this weeks filing - this may be a reshuffle or refile.

5) JetBlue appears to have added some sort of frequency on Montego Bay Jamaica service but I couldn't get it to come up on matrix but I think its double Saturday service from what I saw on their site.

Speaking of Caribbean, flights to the area, especially the JetBlue weeklies, are higher this year. I'm guessing its due to hurricane damage to St Thomas, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico has removed options for travelers thus filling up these flights. One example was Boston-Liberia 3/10-3/17 going for $2170 as of right now. Handful of seats are remaining on it per seat map (not always 100% accurate but indicative of low remaining capacity).

4 Daily!?! Christ. With that plus Wow Air you've got some serious capacity to Reykjavik. I would think that Norwegian would jeopardize some of Icelandairs connecting traffic, but who knows.

4 Daily!?! Christ. With that plus Wow Air you've got some serious capacity to Reykjavik. I would think that Norwegian would jeopardize some of Icelandairs connecting traffic, but who knows.

Those flights aren't for people. They're for fish (really).

One more Air Canada widened the season for Boston-Vancouver.

May 18th - September 23 for Summer 18

Summer 17 was June 23 to September 4

How well does the Vancouver flight time for connections? AC and their partners (namely Air New Zealand) have a solid Pacific network from Vancouver. Come June they will have non-stop flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland. I am wonder if AC could target connections to these flights as well as their Asian flights.

One more Air Canada widened the season for Boston-Vancouver.

May 18th - September 23 for Summer 18

Summer 17 was June 23 to September 4

Lots more cruise ships going up there, and the cruise season has expanded

How well does the Vancouver flight time for connections? AC and their partners (namely Air New Zealand) have a solid Pacific network from Vancouver. Come June they will have non-stop flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland. I am wonder if AC could target connections to these flights as well as their Asian flights.

Connects to the three Australian cities going towards Oceania but doesn't connect to Air NZ's Auckland flight since it arrives too late.

The connection on the return is tight in Vancouver 90 minutes and factor pre-clearance into that one... you may wind up on a Vancouver-Toronto flight if you miss the connection.

Those flights aren't for people. They're for fish (really).

Interesting. Apparently Boston is Icelandair's biggest market for fresh fish shipments (by far) and the value of that shipment is up to $20k on a 757 (or the equivalent of 50-60 economy cabin seats) or $31k on a 767 (or 70-80 seats). Source: https://www.icelandairgroup.is/serv...3507/version1/05 Gunnar Már Sigurfinnsson.pdf

I wonder if the added capacity will benefit passengers with lower fares (especially considering WOW's capacity on the route)? Never flown Icelandair, and I'm hesitant to try WOW, but I have to imagine PAX loads aren't extremely high. I'd definitely prefer Icelandair if the price point was competitive with WOW.

Interesting. Apparently Boston is Icelandair's biggest market for fresh fish shipments (by far) and the value of that shipment is up to $20k on a 757 (or 50-60 economy cabin seats) or $31k on a 767 (or 70-80 seats). Source: https://www.icelandairgroup.is/serv...3507/version1/05 Gunnar Már Sigurfinnsson.pdf

I wonder if the added capacity will benefit passengers with lower fares (especially considering WOW's capacity on the route)? Never flown Icelandair, and I'm hesitant to try WOW, but I have to imagine PAX loads aren't extremely high. I'd definitely prefer Icelandair if the price point was competitive with WOW.

For much of northern Europe Icelandair and Wow Air are the cheapest carriers.

Back