Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I drove from Arlington 02474 to MHT regularly in the 1998 to 2001 timeframe to catch both Southwest and MetroJet flights to BWI and IAD (and maybe DCA?).

Boston simply did not have flights at "Southwest" prices until JetBlue got here in 2004.

Sept 11 caused Metrojet to fold on Sept 24th, 2001, and every other airline lost the nerve to compete with Southwest (and JetBlue was carefully avoiding them, by design).

If you had to date "the end" of MHT's role as a Boston airport, I'd choose 2003, the year in which:
- The Zakim & O'Neill Tunnel make access to Logan easy
- Delta pre-empts JetBlue with Song (a JetBlue clone)
- JetBlue announces BOS service (starts Jan 2004)

Then everyone's "return" to BOS accelerates with
- 2006 Runway 14/32 opens
- 2008 the Great Recession
- 2009 Southwest Air starts BOS

And after that, the DL/NW, AA/US, and UA/CO mergers mean fewer hubs need or want MHT as a spoke (I don't know how many MHT had at its peak, but when Southwest launched there back in 1998, it'd have been standard for the majors to ensure that MHT had service from places from their minor hubs--PIT, CLE, CVG that no longer exist.

(Also, back then, Continental was doing Continental Connection trips all over NY, including, IIRC, BOS-HPN)

And I found exactly that on Archive.org!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010405112246/http://flymanchester.com:80/home_frames.htm

APRIL 2001 NONSTOP SERVICE

U S AIRWAYS - U S AIRWAYS EXPRESS
7 flights a day to New York - LaGuardia
2 jets a day to Washington National
3 jets a day to Pittsburgh
5 jets a day to Philadelphia

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
8 jets a day to Baltimore-Washington
2 jets a day to Chicago (Midway)
2 jet a day to Nashville
2 jet a day to Orlando
1 jet a day to Tampa
1 jet a day to Kansas City

UNITED AIRLINES
4 jets a day to Chicago (O'Hare)

NORTHWEST AIRLINES
4 jets a day to Detroit

METROJET
5 jets a day to Baltimore-Washington
1 Saturday-only jet to Orlando

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES - CONTINENTAL EXPRESS - CCONTINENTAL CONNECTION
4 jets a day to Newark
2 jets a day to Cleveland
3 flights a day to Albany
2 flights a day to Rochester
1 flight a day to Syracuse
3 flights a day to New York-JFK (beginning 4/4/01)

DELTA AIR LINES
2 jets a day to Atlanta

COMAIR DELTA CONNECTION
4 jets a day to Cincinnati

AMERICAN EAGLE
3 flights a day to New York - LaGuardia

AIR CANADA
4 flights a day to Toronto
2 flights a day to Montreal (beginning 4/9/01)

Last edited:
I've never traveled for business, but I used to fly MHT-BWI to visit my wife's family twice a year, almost always on Southwest.

I, like others here, live pretty much equidistant to MHT and BOS. More often than not, if I had to drive, I'd factor in the cost of parking to my overall travel costs and MHT would win almost every time. The airport hits all the conveince factors - ease of getting to, short lines, relatively cheap parking and at the time lower ticket pricing.

Once WN started at Logan, their prices at MHT became much less competitive. At the same time, they expanded MHT to 14 gates. I flew out of there a month ago and other than the WN gates, the place was a ghost town.

I'll still fly out of there when warranted, but it's a total shell of what it once was. Which is a shame, because it works so well.

...but it's a total shell of what it once was.

^Indeed, apparently it did 4.33 million passengers in its peak year (2005); that's seriously not a shabby number at all for a regional airport. Now they've lost 60% compared to that.

- - -

This discussion is making me hazily remember that at some point near MHTs' heyday, there was actually a hopper flight MHT -to- BOS.

Am I crazy/misremembering (which is entirely possible), or did that actually exist??

MHT in Summer 2005 (no BOS hopper, though)
https://web.archive.org/web/20050721003725/http://www.flymanchester.com/home_frames.htm

U S AIRWAYS - U S AIRWAYS EXPRESS
8 jets/flights a day to New York-LaGuardia
8 jets a day to Philadelphia
5 jets a day to Charlotte
3 jets a day to Washington National
4 jets a day to Pittsburgh

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
11 jets a day to Baltimore-Washington
4 jets a day to Philadelphia
2 jets a day to Chicago-Midway
2 jet a day to Nashville
4 jet a day to Orlando
2 jets a day to Tampa
1 jet a day to Las Vegas

UNITED AIRLINES
4 jets a day to Chicago-O'Hare
4 jets a day to Washington-Dulles

NORTHWEST AIRLINES
4 jets a day to Detroit
2 jets a day to Minneapolis

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES - CONTINENTAL EXPRESS - CONTINENTAL CONNECTION
4 jets a day to Newark
4 jets a day to Cleveland
4 flights a day to Albany

DELTA CONNECTION COMAIR
2 jets a day to Cincinnati
2 jets a day to New York-LaGuardia

DELTA AIR LINES
3 jets a day to Atlanta

AIR CANADA
4 flights a day to Toronto

INDEPENDENCE AIR
9 jets a day to Washington-Dulles

^Indeed, apparently it did 4.33 million passengers in its peak year (2005); that's seriously not a shabby number at all for a regional airport. Now they've lost 60% compared to that.

- - -

This discussion is making me hazily remember that at some point near MHTs' heyday, there was actually a hopper flight MHT -to- BOS.

Am I crazy/misremembering (which is entirely possible), or did that actually exist??

The April 1995 schedule listed on departedflights.com(http://www.departedflights.com/MHT95p1.html) shows up to seven flights per day on Delta Connection and up to two on USAir Express.

They were gone by June 99 though(http://www.departedflights.com/MHT99p1.html).

Thats a really hefty schedule.

Also, in those yeas you could fly from Bedford to Trenton, which would have been good for me now

The April 1995 schedule listed on departedflights.com(http://www.departedflights.com/MHT95p1.html) shows up to seven flights per day on Delta Connection and up to two on USAir Express.

They were gone by June 99 though(http://www.departedflights.com/MHT99p1.html).

^Fascinating, thanks for finding that.

I feel old, having time-warped the late '90s into the 2000s, but I knew I recalled those MHT-BOS hoppers.

MHT in Summer 2005 ...

DELTA AIR LINES
3 jets a day to Atlanta

^Also knew there had to have been a 3-a-day to ATL at some point in the '03-'06 timeframe, because when they knocked it down to there being only one return option for me, that's when everything about the attractiveness of MHT for business travel on that route sank.

Also, reflecting back, I-93 (from the north) connecting much easier to Logan right in the middle of this same timeframe absolutely swung things in Logan's favor (for the hypothetical me-equivalent circa mid-2000s). So funny how multiple variables are at play, but you don't really appreciate it until you look back. A few things here and there, then all of a sudden MHT is out ~3 million passengers. wow.

Long article in the Globe comparing Delta and JetBlue and their individual effort to be the first to have 200 daily flights from Logan. One tidbit.

Expect Delta to also emphasize its international partners, particularly several that Delta has invested in directly. One example is Korean Air, whose new service to Seoul out of Boston has been a huge success, according to Hauenstein, with expansion expected by next year.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...c2swrlglIO/story.html?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery

I just flew Delta, and did find it interesting that their in flight magazine devotes 6 pages to their network and includes all their partners.

Long article in the Globe comparing Delta and JetBlue and their individual effort to be the first to have 200 daily flights from Logan. One tidbit.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...c2swrlglIO/story.html?p1=HP_Feed_ContentQuery

It's pretty amazing that 8 years ago, Japan Airlines announced Tokyo Narita to Boston flights (which commenced in April 2012) and now today Boston has several non-stop flights to Asia. Japan Airlines year round, once daily to Tokyo Narita, Cathay Pacific year round, once daily to Hong Kong, Hainan year round, once daily to Beijing, Hainan year round 4-5 weekly to Shanghai and now Koreanair year round, 5 weekly (soon to be daily) to Seoul.

It's going to be very interesting how Delta handles the space crunch over in A. Even when they get full access to the 5 gates Southwest is leaving, things are going to be very tight.

It's going to be very interesting how Delta handles the space crunch over in A. Even when they get full access to the 5 gates Southwest is leaving, things are going to be very tight.

We're not the only ones who are interested in this, as well as how MassPort intends to handle all the new international flights out of E! Over on Airliners.net, this same topic has been discussed for days now, ever since Delta announced it's plan for 200 flights per day out of Logan.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/vie...d=0be74d41fc8f906f507f29ee32027355&start=1300

This thread is a paean to economic success. Pure and simple.

Can people FINALLY stop bitching about the Big Dig and its cost overruns?????

This thread doesn't exist without that "catastrophe". If the Callahan and Sumner were still the only tunnels in use...........

Logan additions, Seaport, North Cambridge, Somerville, Encore........
Long-term benefits from infrastructure, people.

Let it be a lesson when discussing NSRL, Blue-Red, etc......

This thread is a paean to economic success. Pure and simple.

Can people FINALLY stop bitching about the Big Dig and its cost overruns?????

This thread doesn't exist without that "catastrophe". If the Callahan and Sumner were still the only tunnels in use...........

Logan additions, Seaport, North Cambridge, Somerville, Encore........
Long-term benefits from infrastructure, people.

Let it be a lesson when discussing NSRL, Blue-Red, etc......

Shmessy -- Two words Vertex Pharmaceuticals -- when they got the FDA approval for their "orphan drug" [aka the $B molecule] and announced they were setting up their HQ next to the Court House in South Boston Seaport in a lease of 1 M sq ft-- it was fait accompli for all the rest:

Vertex's big move is what launched the Seaport and ironically their leaving Cambridge transformed acres of old 1 story industrial buildings that were set-up as labs for start-up bio/pharma [at cheap prices] -- to suddenly want to be occupied by Big Pharma as BIG Lab @ $100 / sq. ft. Kendall Sq.
The future lives here

Of course the proximity to MIT helped foster and accelerate the Kendalization process while Seaportization was fostered by the ability to Drive from the Seaport to Logan in 5 minutes

Now Kendall being a few of Red Line stops from Broadway appears poised to remake the Fort Point - Broadway area into one of the prime Kendall-reliever sites as Tishman Speyer*, Alexandria, and Related Beal all have plans for many hundreds of k sq ft of labs around A Street and Fort Point Channel within a short walk of Broadway T

Tishman Speyer, Bellco Capital Launch Life Science Development, Investment Company NationalOffice July 17, 2019 Matthew Rothstein, Bisnow East Coast

Tishman Speyer announced Wednesday that it had joined with Bellco Capital to form Breakthrough Properties, a real estate investment and development company focused exclusively on life science. Bellco is the family office of cancer research doctor-turned-venture capitalist Arie Belldegrun. Breakthrough Properties is starting in the cradle of life science for the U.S.: the Boston metro area, where it has already announced its first acquisition. The 1-acre parcel in the Seaport neighborhood [105 W First St.] comes with 250K SF of development rights, and Breakthrough has set a 2021 target for its completion.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/new...99931?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Last edited:
Shmessy -- Two words Vertex Pharmaceuticals -- when they got the FDA approval for their "orphan drug" [aka the $B molecule] and announced they were setting up their HQ next to the Court House in South Boston Seaport in a lease of 1 M sq ft-- it was fait accompli for all the rest:

Vertex's big move is what launched the Seaport and ironically their leaving Cambridge transformed acres of old 1 story industrial buildings that were set-up as labs for start-up bio/pharma [at cheap prices] -- to suddenly want to be occupied by Big Pharma as BIG Lab @ $100 / sq. ft. Kendall Sq.

Of course the proximity to MIT helped foster and accelerate the Kendalization process while Seaportization was fostered by the ability to Drive from the Seaport to Logan in 5 minutes

Now Kendall being a few of Red Line stops from Broadway appears poised to remake the Fort Point - Broadway area into one of the prime Kendall-reliever sites as Tishman Speyer*, Alexandria, and Related Beal all have plans for many hundreds of k sq ft of labs around A Street and Fort Point Channel within a short walk of Broadway T

You're waaaay late. That did not happen in a vacuum.

Vertex doesn't move to the Seaport without the Big Dig occurring. And, pray tell, how DID your bolded Drive from the Seaport to Logan in 5 minutes come about?

The TW Tunnel revolutionized vehicular access to Logan. Those who can see the macro picture see it plain as day.

This thread about the runaway success of Logan is the result of the Big Dig.

Last edited:
You're waaaay late. That did not happen in a vacuum.

Vertex doesn't move to the Seaport without the Big Dig occurring.

The TW Tunnel revolutionized vehicular access to Logan.

This thread is the result of the Big Dig.

Correct. Vertex would still be in Cambridge without the I-90 tunnels.

This thread about the runaway success of Logan is the result of the Big Dig.

Absolutely correct, and the success of the Seaport, along with the growth of many other areas of the city, is a direct result of the Big Dig. The Big Dig was one of the best things to ever happen to the city of Boston.

A couple of personal data points-
Flew AF321 (the 22:10 departure from BOS) on Jul 6 and the flight was completely full. It was a few days after Royal Air Maroc started - based on the crowds at the gate that flight also looked to be quite full.

At 8:00PM, the security line at the middle of terminal E was out the door. I used the other security line by E1 and was a breeze - only 10 mins wait. Has anyone cleared security in terminal C to access a flight leaving from E? I wonder if TSA would let you through.

I noticed there were frequent announcements for gate changes - my AF flight's gate changed and there were a lot of other flights that had gate changes between E4-E10.

Returned on VS on July 18. I took the new late-night arrival flight that just started this year (arriving in BOS at 22:40). The flight was operated by a 333 with capacity 264 seats and the purser announced that there were only 187 onboard, making for a load factor of 70% on that flight. I wonder how loads overall will look on VS once the DOT data comes out.

At 8:00PM, the security line at the middle of terminal E was out the door. I used the other security line by E1 and was a breeze - only 10 mins wait. Has anyone cleared security in terminal C to access a flight leaving from E? I wonder if TSA would let you through.

I asked one of the TSA folks at Terminal E recently. They said you could go to Terminal C but I have never tried it.

Shouldnt be an issue to access another terminal. You can also say "im going to the lounge here" as an excuse.

Back