Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Also, LGW rail service to London Bridge and onward through the city is fabulous (better than LHR). Once Crossrail opens the Elizabeth Line LHR will be better connected, but for now LGWs Express and Tameslink services are better for City & Docklands (via Jubilee Line)
Thameslink and Southern are great connections to London. As a local I can't recommend Gatwick Express to anyone, they charge upwards of £18 for the exact same journey that you can make on Southern for £6, the only difference is GX is non-stop while southern makes a few local stops. The total difference in time? It's timetabled two minutes faster to take the "express", at least as of the 19:00 departure, at peak the difference may be 5 minutes or so. Both trains go from LGW to Victoria, on the same tracks, and the same headways if not more frequent on Southern.

As for Gatwick vs Heathrow, absolutely Gatwick also has great transit connections that really make the distance no problem. That being said all London airports have train service we can only dream of in Boston... But don't worry we have a bus...

I might actually try the GX next time (instead of Thameslink), and would probably still recommended to he Gx to first timers and people on expense accounts.

Taking the Thameslink from LGW at the AM inbound rush with a big suitcase was a little awkward (standing) and nerve-wracking (could I push back to the door at London Bridge?). It worked fine (with only a stop in East Croydon). I am not sure how I ended up paying more like GBP 17 (rush surcharge?).

On the way back, Thameslink (GBP 11) had signal problems and I kind of wished I'd tried the GX.
No question though, as a local, I'd want to learn to do Southern / Thameslink

Incidentally, my flight in Norwegian Premium ($1600 rt BOS LGW) was fabulous value for money--everything an employer should be willing to pay for and nothing they needn't.

Also, LGW rail service to London Bridge and onward through the city is fabulous (better than LHR). Once Crossrail opens the Elizabeth Line LHR will be better connected, but for now LGWs Express and Tameslink services are better for City & Docklands (via Jubilee Line)

Thank you for the report! Im glad Norwegian is offering a great product, and Ive heard little bad reports about Norwegian's product. They offer great service for low money, and hopefully that means it holds strong for a while.

SkyTeam or Star needs to mount a "Gatwick, Seriously." strategy and ad campaign.

Dela has just loaded a second daily flight to Austin. So next summer Austin will have, JetBlue 3 daily, Delta 2 daily, American 12 weekly and Southwest 1 daily. A ton of capacity. I wonder who has the Dell Technologies contract? Fares should be pretty nice.

and the rapid transit Blue Line!!
If they improve the airport shuttles I'll include that, the 10 minute stop at the rental car center just isn't necessary for transit users trying to get to the airport. London airports have *direct* train connections, the tube even has multiple stops at Heathrow to serve the various terminals

If they improve the airport shuttles I'll include that, the 10 minute stop at the rental car center just isn't necessary for transit users trying to get to the airport. London airports have *direct* train connections, the tube even has multiple stops at Heathrow to serve the various terminals

Agree completely here. Its very frustrating taking the bus, only for it to make a prolonged stop at the Rental Car Center and wait for every straggler to run on even though the bus is full. Just as we start to move, the driver sees someone else and lets them on wasting 45 seconds, and this cycle repeats.

My trip out of BOS was in that first Sunday snow and some vehicle (looked like an articulated bus) had jammed the upramp to the Departures Level. As a result (1) no traffic from the BL to the terminal on "Transportation Way" was flowing. None. (2) Any bus that made it back to the Blue Line (from the terminals) was being held at the T stop (so as to shelter waiting passengers).

I decided to see how far the walk was to E. I like walking. It was very lightly snowing and the ground had a skimcoat of slush. I knew it would be a predictable 15 minutes (whereas the bus were all showing "next bus" 13 minutes, and had been for 10 minutes). I had plenty of time, but not time for not knowing when the bus would move, or if, or how long it'd take once moving. Two airline/airport employees started ahead of me by about a minute, so I knew it would work.
It would have been fine except:
1) There is currently no crosswalk from the BL T to the "Future E" sidewalk. It is an anti-pedestrian moonscape of underpass, cobblestone, and grass for the first 300 feet
Nor is there a curb cut, nor is there a pedestrian-friendly phase of the cycle of the light
(ok, technically, if you backtrack to the Northwest for long enough, there's a crosswalk, but only in the sense that if you walk on the grass long enough theres *always* a crosswalk *eventually*)

2) The walk should be covered if we actually intend people to use it. My roller bag sometimes plowed a little bow-wave of slush, but mostly cleared it. Mostly.

3) Walking through the western reaches of E's surface lot(s) was pretty miserable. I'm glad I had a spare (dry) pair of shoes to swap into for the flight.

My trip out of BOS was in that first Sunday snow and some vehicle (looked like an articulated bus) had jammed the upramp to the Departures Level. As a result (1) no traffic from the BL to the terminal on "Transportation Way" was flowing. None. (2) Any bus that made it back to the Blue Line (from the terminals) was being held at the T stop (so as to shelter waiting passengers).

I decided to see how far the walk was to E. I like walking. It was very lightly snowing and the ground had a skimcoat of slush. I knew it would be a predictable 15 minutes (whereas the bus were all showing "next bus" 13 minutes, and had been for 10 minutes). I had plenty of time, but not time for not knowing when the bus would move, or if, or how long it'd take once moving. Two airline/airport employees started ahead of me by about a minute, so I knew it would work.
It would have been fine except:
1) There is currently no crosswalk from the BL T to the "Future E" sidewalk. It is an anti-pedestrian moonscape of underpass, cobblestone, and grass for the first 300 feet
Nor is there a curb cut, nor is there a pedestrian-friendly phase of the cycle of the light
(ok, technically, if you backtrack to the Northwest for long enough, there's a crosswalk, but only in the sense that if you walk on the grass long enough theres *always* a crosswalk *eventually*)

2) The walk should be covered if we actually intend people to use it. My roller bag sometimes plowed a little bow-wave of slush, but mostly cleared it. Mostly.

3) Walking through the western reaches of E's surface lot(s) was pretty miserable. I'm glad I had a spare (dry) pair of shoes to swap into for the flight.

I use to live in Jeffries Point and frequently walked to Terminal C at Logan to catch a flight. If I was in a hurry, I'd walk to the Rental Car Center to catch a shuttle to the terminals. On a few occasions, friends and I use to just take a walk to the airport to do a loop--get our steps in, a bite to eat, maybe a drink at Jerry Remy's pre-security, the 9/11 Memorial... there's a lot to see at Logan if you're not catching a flight, fortunately.

I've done the walk from Airport Station before and agree that if you're going to Terminal E it's not the most hospitable; however, there are at least other options (and not as much of a time suck as you'd expect). If you like to walk and aren't in a rush, I recommend taking the path by Memorial Stadium from Airport Station to the Rental Car Center. From RCC, there's sidewalks and paths (including a beautiful one next to the harbor) that lead you to Terminal A. The skybridge from A to E is about a 5-minute walk. In total--it's about a 24-minute, 1-mile walk. (link)

When most places design a road with no walking facilities, I think it's ultimately an oversight. But in Boston and specifically at Massport, I think it's explicit: if there's no sidewalk facility, it's because they don't want you to walk there.

I think they're going to want to accommodate bike & walk, 99% of whom will be employees.

And frankly, the walk from plane to immigration at LGW is probably just as long as from the T to Term E.

Summer 2020 notable increases/decreases per airliners OAG update thread
Alaska going to 4 daily Seattle
Alaska going down to single daily Los Angeles
Southwest going to 5 daily St Louis
JetBlue going up to 3 daily Savannah on weekends.

Allegiant has decided to come to Logan Airport and launch service to smaller metro areas in USA.

Biweekly Asheville, Grand Rapids, Knoxville, and Destin/Ft Walton start in Early May.

The first three are Monday/Friday and Destin is Thursday/Sunday. All depart early morning to Logan and turnaround by noon at the latest.

Allegiant has decided to come to Logan Airport and launch service to smaller metro areas in USA.

Biweekly Asheville, Grand Rapids, Knoxville, and Destin/Ft Walton start in Early May.

The first three are Monday/Friday and Destin is Thursday/Sunday. All depart early morning to Logan and turnaround by noon at the latest.

Enjoy the 2 years of service before they inevitably abandon it, everyone!

Allegiant: the distracted toddler of the airline industry.

Asheville and Destin/Ft Walton might have some staying power, given the long-term "half my family moved south" affinities.

Knoxville, as home to Oak Ridge National Labs, sometimes surprises. It is certainly a place to find scientist types to interview for tech jobs.

Grand Rapids is a tough sell. If you aren't already on a DeVos family jet, why are you coming to Boston?

In two years it will probably be Des Moines, Columbia-SC, Sioux Falls, and Latrobe,PA ;)

Back