Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://wieck-swa-production.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/page-3b00a21770a21c5c30a52599d18aed48/attachment/4759fd6c6e771d4a069d7e30b2758c62fa7103ea

Speaking of Southwest, they are bringing back non-stop service to Houston - Hobby out of Boston, albeit Sunday only and seasonal.

Speaking of Southwest, they are bringing back non-stop service to Houston - Hobby out of Boston, albeit Sunday only and seasonal.

It's interesting how much SWA has retreated in the BOS market. Obviously this started back in 2018-19, but there has also been very minimal rebound post-COVID in their BOS service.

1676050132440.png

From my quick research, they will only have about about 120 departures per week this summer.
1676050724375.png

JetBlue is asking the US DOT to force KLM to give up two Amsterdam slot pairs to launch both Boston and JFK. They feel that the Netherlands is being anticompetitve by denying JetBlue the use of unused slot pairs from Aeroflot and FlyBe. They requested these last Fall with the hope of launching this Summer. You have to download the filing here: https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2023-0028-0001

1676420007343.png

A snippet I grabbed from Twitter. KLM/Delta dominate the US-Amsterdam market holding 82% of the NYC-Amsterdam market and 85% of the US-Amsterdam market.

Schiphol has had the Dutch government start to limit overall capacity which has only served to make JetBlue's attempt to enter the market that much more difficult.

Hainan intends to restore non-stop service to both Beijing (Capital) and Shanghai (Pudong) as of February 17th.

Does anyone know if this actually happened today? I don't see them on Flightaware and they weren't blocked in 2020. They've said they plan to use the same flight numbers as before.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this actually happened today? I don't see them on Flightaware and they weren't blocked in 2020. They've said they plan to use the same flight numbers as before.

I couldn't find any indication that any of their Dreamliners are operating to Boston today, so I'm gonna go with they probably delayed the restart of service.

I couldn't find any indication that any of their Dreamliners are operating to Boston today, so I'm gonna go with they probably delayed the restart of service.
Yeah, it doesn't even look like it's on sale yet for any date.

Yeah, it doesn't even look like it's on sale yet for any date.

Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I didn't even see any actual announcements of the service re-starting, just reports of Hainan's filing with the feds last month that they intended to restart. Obviously it seems like those plans changed, but if they hadn't actually announced and opened the flights for sale, it's not that surprising.

Logan was a real bummer the other night. I found out that there really isn't any restaurant choices pre-security, just coffee. Tried to grab a bite with my wife before her flight at Terminal B but the pub is no longer there. Thought about going to the bar in Terminal E but didn't want to take the chance it was gone. We walked to the Hilton and there was a 90 minute wait for the pub there and the formal restaurant was closed. I guess the powers that be really don't want the non-flyers /general public hanging around the airport. Lots of signage about "see something-say something", "you are being surveilled" and "police dogs at work". It had a dystopian feeling. They also updated the Mayor's welcome from Marty to Wu.

This is a very open ended question - but does Boston stand a chance at getting Breeze routes to Breeze's hubs like how LA and SF have?

I guess the powers that be really don't want the non-flyers /general public hanging around the airport. Lots of signage about "see something-say something", "you are being surveilled" and "police dogs at work". It had a dystopian feeling. They also updated the Mayor's welcome from Marty to Wu.

I'll admit I don't fly that much but that's been my expectation since the TSA was formed. They def don't want non-flyers there.

I'll admit I don't fly that much but that's been my expectation since the TSA was formed. They def don't want non-flyers there.

As I recall, there was still some decent availability of pre-security food options at least in Terminal C until relatively recently. (I don't know if that had to do with the fact that there were those gates in their own little area without much in the way of retail space, and of course that area's all been rebuilt.)

Taking my kid, who is a transportation nerd, around the airport was a little sad. I spent a decent amount of time explaining why we can’t get to places I could as a kid. They still loved it, but it was angering for me.

On the upside, we did find a decent perch to watch tarmac movements near Terminal B.

I still need to research the oldest extant part of Logan that is publicly accessible, per their request. I think it’s probably the passage between Terminal C and E, near the USO lounge.

I still need to research the oldest extant part of Logan that is publicly accessible, per their request. I think it’s probably the passage between Terminal C and E, near the USO lounge.

I'd agree that it's probably parts of Terminal C. It's the oldest terminal left, and I think basically built on top of its predecessor, and the former Terminal D wing (at least on the street side, near where the Logan Express buses pick up) definitely hasn't seen quite the same level of renovations as the rest of the place.

I'd agree that it's probably parts of Terminal C. It's the oldest terminal left, and I think basically built on top of its predecessor, and the former Terminal D wing (at least on the street side, near where the Logan Express buses pick up) definitely hasn't seen quite the same level of renovations as the rest of the place.

That's probably true, but honestly the C check-in hall still has the same feel it had when I was young and it was the United terminal. More colors now courtesy of JetBlue, but it's very recognizable.

Not that you'd want to visit it, but another contender is the B Garage.

I would actually say try the stub of what's left of the old control tower, between B and C. As I recall, the old control tower was built as part of the circa ~1949 boutwell terminal - demolished, bar the tower, for terminals B and C in the 1960s and 70s. While the B-C connector may have only recently demolished the upper floors of the space, I'm pretty sure the arrivals level is still original construction, though it may have been modified. In particular, try the chapel, "our lady of the airways." I believe it's still present in it's original location where it opened in the early 1950s - though it may have been renovated or moved at some point in the 60s, I'm pretty sure it still predates B and C, and was an explicit "to remain" during the B-C connector project.

Last edited:
I would actually say try the stub of what's left of the old control tower, between B and C. As I recall, the old control tower was built as part of the circa ~1949 boutwell terminal - demolished, bar the tower, for terminals B and C in the 1960s and 70s.

As far as I can tell, the old tower barely overlapped with the adjacent parts of the terminal. It was mostly over the access roads. That chunk of Terminal C adjacent to where that tower was does not appear to have been significantly altered externally (though there's a new facade where the overlap with the tower was), though I agree that it's likely quite different internally.

Back