Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

It's nothing concrete, but apparently EVA is eyeing TPE-BOS. If this, or a previous mention of BOS by Starlux back in 2020, were to come to fruition Boston would have direct flights to every country in east Asia except for North Korea.

Kinda wild to think that all of this service has come online since 2010.
Thank the advent of cost-effective twin-engine long-haul aircraft, and the polar route over Russia.

Not anymore, except for Chinese and Indian airlines.
Unfortunately, this has resulted in a whole mess over flights from China mainland to the US (and to western countries as a whole):
  • Because US airlines can't operate through Russian airspace, they generally find less desire to operate more US-China flights.
  • Because of this, US DOT is limiting the number of US-China flights that (mainland) Chinese airlines are allowed to operate, in order to ensure fairness between the two countries. As a result, I believe most of the China-operated flights that were added after Russian airspace restrictions also can't fly over Russia.
  • In 2019, there were 811 direct one-way US-China flights per week. That figure is now ~184, or a mere 23% of pre-Covid.
  • More broadly, many other airlines worldwide have also reduced or suspended their direct flights to mainland China, though not all of them are due to Russian airspace restrictions (e.g. Qantas).

Not anymore, except for Chinese and Indian airlines.
Yes, unfortunately -- it was a big enabler before the Ukraine war.

And if you think it is bad here, imagine you are FinnAir or the airport operator in Helsinki -- whose entire business model in the 2000's became polar route service from all over Europe to all over Asia, with an easy connection in Helsinki

American Airlines is cutting its service to Austin as of this November. American is also cutting its service from Austin to Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, Nashville, Las Vegas, and Orange County in addition to Boston. Only service to its hubs will remain.

This makes me wonder what American will do with their non-hub service from Boston? Cincinnati, Columbus, Harrisburg, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Rochester, St. Louis and Syracuse are the current non-hub routes they serve year round in Boston. Key West, Wilmington (North Carolina), Hilton Head and Traverse City are the non-hub routes they serve seasonally from Boston.

EDIT: Last flight will be November 4. I am sure there will be a decent amount of people who will be rebooked via DFW.

Last edited:
American Airlines is cutting its service to Austin as of this November. American is also cutting its service from Austin to Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, Nashville, Las Vegas, and Orange County in addition to Boston. Only service to its hubs will remain.

This makes me wonder what American will do with their non-hub service from Boston? Cincinnati, Columbus, Harrisburg, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Rochester, St. Louis and Syracuse are the current non-hub routes they serve year round in Boston. Key West, Wilmington (North Carolina), Hilton Head and Traverse City are the non-hub routes they serve seasonally from Boston.
It's interesting BOS didn't survive the AUS cuts given that it slightly predates the focus city operation and they flew more passengers on the route than B6 or DL last year. Maybe we could see WN try it a third time?

MDT and ROC aren't going anywhere; they're ancient US routes with no competition and high fares. Boston being a Republic base probably plays slightly into the calculation too. The loads on a lot of their regional flying aren't great though.

15 years too late, but looks like Jetblue is finally getting into the lounge game. I know I'm not the only one who's shifted to Delta, but this could've made a difference if done a few years ago. Terminal A suffers from having the satellite gates, and while overall it's nicer than C, the centrality of C and easy connection to E make it a better location, in my opinion.

Looks like a premium lounge credit card is also coming, which is a strong idea. I think there's a typo in the article, though. There's no Centurion in Boston, right?

"Delta opened a luxurious new lounge, the Delta Sky Club, last year, and American Express opened a Centurian [sic] Lounge for its cardholders"

If I remember correctly, Chase (or whomever is the actual lounge operator) outbid AMEX and someone else for the space in the B to C connector where the current Chase lounge is located.

No link yet but Delta is expanding transatlantic in Italy. There was a press conference in Rome this morning.

Boston-Milan will be launched with 4 weekly flights in June 2025 amongst other flights like Atlanta-Naples and JFK-Catania (on island of Sicily).

Great to see another DL addition, especially to an unserved destination. I think that gets DL to 19-20 international flights/day in the summer between them and their partners.

Wouldn't be surprised if MXP and the second IB flight are it for next summer though.

Delta is going to have a really solid European network from Boston:

London - Heathrow
Paris - Charles de Gaulle
Amsterdam
Lisbon
Dublin
Edinburgh
Rome
Athens
Barcelona
Milan

When you include their partners/codeshares and that several of their destinations are operated more than once a day, their international summer network is quite good.

AMS 2.6 (2 DL, 0.6 KL)
ATH 1.0
BCN 0.4
CDG 3.4 (2.4 AF, 1 DL)
CPH 1.0 (SK)
CUN 1.0
DUB 1.0
FCO 1.0; AZ switching to Star
GRU 0.4 (JJ)
ICN 1.0 (KE)
LHR 3.0 (1 DL, 2 VS) DL upgauges to A339
LIS 1.0
MEX 1.0 (AM)
MXP 0.6
TLV 0.6 (LY)
YYC 1.0 (WS)

Don’t want to sound too pouty but I feel like Boston rarely gets new metal for long haul flights. Is Delta One rolled out across the fleet yet? My experience on older Delta 767s a few years back was…uninspired. Similarly for BA business on the 380 and Swiss business on the 330.

Don’t want to sound too pouty but I feel like Boston rarely gets new metal for long haul flights. Is Delta One rolled out across the fleet yet? My experience on older Delta 767s a few years back was…uninspired. Similarly for BA business on the 380 and Swiss business on the 330.

BA is all 787-10 next summer … brand new planes. Guess they’re refocusing on local traffic, a good J product and letting the leisure traffic go elsewhere.

Just flew into Logan from Amsterdam last week (packed Delta A350) and took some pics of some of our international carriers! Logan is becoming quite the growing hub for overseas flights with Delta leading the way.
IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg
IMG_7051.jpeg
IMG_7053.jpeg
IMG_7061.jpeg
IMG_7065.jpeg
IMG_7069.jpeg
IMG_7076.jpeg
IMG_7062.jpeg

Last edited:

Back