Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Airline CEO's rattle on all the time in interviews about places they're going to fly or they'd like to fly. If JetBlue flew to every city that David Neeleman ever talked about, they'd have twice the destinations that they do. I don't doubt that within a year or two, a Middle East carrier, likely Emirates or Qatar, will announce service but until then, I'd take these types of articles with a grain of salt, especially considering this article is written almost verbatim from one that appeared on Bloomberg in April.

The CEO did say "will" instead of "are planning." They may be waiting to make sure 1) The new airport in Doha, Qatar opens and 2) enough 787's will be in the fleet to run the route daily.

JetBlue now lets you earn points on Hawaii'n and Emirates flights, and earn and spend on select AA to London i think. Good news if you got their loyalty package but want to go abroad.

JetBlue now lets you earn points on Hawaii'n and Emirates flights, and earn and spend on select AA to London i think. Good news if you got their loyalty package but want to go abroad.

Still none for Lufthansa or did I miss that announcement?

I'd expect this to mean then end of Boston-Madrid, which for the winter schedule is only running three days per week.

Iberia to cut 4,500 jobs under IAG restructuring plan

British Airways-owner IAG has announced 4,500 job cuts at Iberia as part of a widely anticipated restructuring of the Spanish carrier.

Iberia is cutting its 156-strong fleet by 25 aircraft, and reducing 15% of its network capacity, with the airline focusing on the most profitable routes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20264407

I'd expect this to mean then end of Boston-Madrid, which for the winter schedule is only running three days per week.

Iberia to cut 4,500 jobs under IAG restructuring plan

British Airways-owner IAG has announced 4,500 job cuts at Iberia as part of a widely anticipated restructuring of the Spanish carrier.

Iberia is cutting its 156-strong fleet by 25 aircraft, and reducing 15% of its network capacity, with the airline focusing on the most profitable routes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20264407

They would be better suited having American run a daily 757 on the route or even Boston-Barcelona (to connect with Vueling network) since IAG and AA are essentially one airline when flying across the Atlantic.

Supposedly cutting 5 of the 33 A-340s. The other cuts are planes that can't cross the ponds.

They would be better suited having American run a daily 757 on the route or even Boston-Barcelona (to connect with Vueling network) since IAG and AA are essentially one airline when flying across the Atlantic.

While I agree a 757 is better for BOS-MAD, there's no way BOS-BCN would cut it outside of peak summer season, even with Vueling's BCN network. BCN is just an infinitesimally small market from BOS compared to the connecting opportunities via BA/LHR and IB/MAD.

I'd be surprised if they end BOS-MAD entirely. BOS should be more than capable of sustaining 3x weekly MAD service.

If they're cutting as much of their long-haul fleet as expected, I can't imagine there are any long haul routes that would go before Boston. I'd expect them to re-trench around what has worked for therm in the past: Latin America, Miami and New York. Los Angeles and Boston will probably go and Chicago may or may not see the axe(it is a One World hub after all). If they had a more efficient plane with a high density configuration, i.e. the A332's that Alitalia operates to Boston and Chicago, I could see the route sticking around, but obviously if they're only running this flight three days per week in winter and anything less than daily in the summer, it's proven itself as a dog. American could fly it with the IAG JV but I doubt they'd want to allocate one of their few international 757's to another marginal route out of Boston when there's more money to be made elsewhere.

In the Globe today, the new Massport COO said that Latin/Central America is positioned to be the next international route. He did mention more to Middle East and Asia, but sounded more sure of the Americas first. I know we talk about Brazil a lot, but what are some other contenders? Mexico City?

(Sorry no link, I read the hardcopy)

The two most realistic options that I see in Latin America are COPA to Panama City or less likely, TACA to San Salvador(which Logan lost probably five years ago).

The numbers for September are out an through the first 9 months of 2012, the airport is beating 2011's record year. 22.39 million passengers thus far.

The JAL Tokyo-Narita flights are holding steady with a solid 88% LF for the month.

JAL's been at 84% according to the Globe article choo mentioned. As long as that load factor is evenly distributed between the front and back of the plane I'd say they're ok, but if it's disproportionately skewed towards the back, that's a problem.

Here's the portion of the article discussing Logan and future flights.

Massport is in the beginning stages of developing a long-term plan to address challenges such as passenger growth at Logan, which hit a record 28.9 million last year. Logan’s newest international route, the Japan Airlines flight between Boston and Tokyo, has been a success since it launched in April, with daily flights running about 84 percent full.

Glynn said he is focused on adding more nonstop connections to overseas markets in Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, including Israel and the Persian Gulf, all regions with significant or growing business connections to Massachusetts. Central America is seen as a prime contender for the next international route.

Logan’s relatively small size, however, poses a challenge to attracting new airlines and routes. There is little room to grow because the airport is surrounded by water on three sides and the dense East Boston neighborhood on the other. No other airport serves as many passengers on such a small footprint — about 1,700 acres — according to Massport.

The terminal with the most potential for expanded service is international Terminal E, which is only busy when European flights come and go in the afternoon and early evening. That leaves room for flights to and from Asia and Latin America, which operate at different times.

“Boston and Massachusetts are part of the global economy more so than many other cities, but we have a small campus to work with,” Glynn said.

http://bostonglobe.com/business/201...-challenges/klXxCD840yoBHJnUzZKffM/story.html

The two most realistic options that I see in Latin America are COPA to Panama City or less likely, TACA to San Salvador(which Logan lost probably five years ago).

AviancaTaca could also try service to San Jose de Costa Rica or Guatemala City. A bit more connections would be made via San Jose. In any case, you probably wouldn't see a daily from them most likely a 2-4x weekly service. COPA would be a big win for Logan.

Either airline could also codeshare/connect with United and US Airways as well though few connections would occur via United. I doubt a Central American flight would connect well with a Lufthansa or Swiss Flight.

Finally, didn't the former San Salvador flight have a bizarre depature and arrival time? Was it something like a 2:30am arrival into Logan?

I had never really looked at their complete destination list before but COPA would really be the ideal choice for Boston's Latin American service needs, plus they have the equipment small enough to make it work with the 737/738. They would be able to provide one-stop service to virtually every major population and business center on the continent with virtually no backtracking. Boston could never profitably fill an A330 to Sao Paulo or Rio year round but a five-weekly 737 to a centrally located hub like Panama City seems like a no-brainer.

I had never really looked at their complete destination list before but COPA would really be the ideal choice for Boston's Latin American service needs, plus they have the equipment small enough to make it work with the 737/738. They would be able to provide one-stop service to virtually every major population and business center on the continent with virtually no backtracking. Boston could never profitably fill an A330 to Sao Paulo or Rio year round but a five-weekly 737 to a centrally located hub like Panama City seems like a no-brainer.

We would have Boston-San Jose,CR right now if San Jose had 50% of Panama City's COPA hub.

I do think Panama tourism, especially eco-tourism would be stimulated by a non-stop flight as well.

Bogota is not a bad South American hub either for AviancaTaca but it wouldn't stimulate any tourist traffic especially if you are one to read travel advisories to Colombia.

I would agree about the COPA mentions. They have a pretty expansive South and Central American network and a properly timed flight into Panama City to hit at least a good portion of connecting flights to those cities could work out well. Especially when you consider the equipment on the Boston to Panama City leg would not be a wide body.

I could see your point for smaller destinations, but Boston already has service to cities that offer connections to much of Latin America - Miami, Houston, Dallas, LA... It I wanted to go to Sao Paolo or Rio, I can do so through Charlotte (which I did), Miami, Chicago, New York, etc. without having to go through customs twice. Heck, I could fly through Puerto Rico without going through customs.

I'm not fully-versed in exactly how comprehensive AA's destination list from Miami or JetBlue's from San Juan is, but I think that between all major american airlines it should be pretty complete. If you're talking about simply looking for a LA carrier with the best hub, COPA might be a good choice, but I don't think Boston is desperate for the one-stop service to major cities.

I could see your point for smaller destinations, but Boston already has service to cities that offer connections to much of Latin America - Miami, Houston, Dallas, LA... It I wanted to go to Sao Paolo or Rio, I can do so through Charlotte (which I did), Miami, Chicago, New York, etc. without having to go through customs twice. Heck, I could fly through Puerto Rico without going through customs.

I'm not fully-versed in exactly how comprehensive AA's destination list from Miami or JetBlue's from San Juan is, but I think that between all major american airlines it should be pretty complete. If you're talking about simply looking for a LA carrier with the best hub, COPA might be a good choice, but I don't think Boston is desperate for the one-stop service to major cities.

AA offers a massive network to Central and South American out of Miami. It's one of, if not their most profitable hub for that sole reason. You have a massive local market to Latin America. You can get to pretty much every major city in both regions non-stop, year round, from Miami and AA.

Ah yes, blah blah blah. I'm fully aware of that, I would fly American through Miami myself if the need to be in South America arose but since the Globe article that choo mentioned and that I posted states that Latin America is a prime candidate for Logan's next international destination, I was merely expressing my opinion on who would be best suited to operating such a flight. I would agree that current service levels are adequate, especially in light of Logan's slowing growth.

Back