Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

There are few routes I can think of that an airline has zealously protected as US on PHL-BOS. US has 16-18 daily flights at peak times and a huge number of elites on both ends that will not fly Jetblue, I don't see it lasting.

BOSPHL.jpg

We'll have to see what happens. JetBlue will certainly pull it, if it doesn't make them money. They do enjoy a solid loyal following in the Boston area, so I could see them pulling a lot of passengers from this area down there. From the Philly end, it will very tough sledding.

Flying to Philly is that competitive with Acela?

Flying to Philly is that competitive with Acela?
More like USAir defends its PHL hub like a mother bear guarding her cubs. Southwest airlines flew BOS-PHL several times a day thinking the point-to-point market was big enough. Southwest got chased out because they were too new and had no loyal base on either end of market.

JetBlue, however, has both a hub and a loyal following in BOS that will be rooting for it.

Acela and Amtrak's NEC are doing a decent job of chasing airlines out of secondary East Coast markets (eg. BWI-NYC) and tertiary ones, but BOS-PHL is never going to be one.

Instead, its that USAir is likely to add both frequency and bigger planes in an attempt to flood the market and to make sure that its captives in the Philly area never taste JetBlue's forbidden fruit (seatback TV)

Arlington said:
(seatback TV)

Which with virtually everyone having an ipad, ereader, etc. has become a largely irrelevant amenity.

Everyone is able to watch dozens of channels of cable on their iPad in the air? Really?

I don't even own an iPad, and my ereader is nice, but doesn't do that.

I fly JetBlue almost exclusively and travel with my tablet, notebook pc, and iPhone. I always watch JetBlue's TV. It's far from irrelevant because the only other way to watch live TV is to pay for in-flight wifi (which is spotty on any airline and not available until above 10,000ft) and stream via slingbox. I'm hardly alone. In the terminal, I'm plugged into the tablet or phone. Not on JetBlue.

JetBlue is also working on unveiling in-flight wi-fi in 2013 that they say will be much faster than the current competition (and cite that as the reason for the time lag in rolling it out). Rumors are it also may be free- supported with ads or something i assume.

Which with virtually everyone having an ipad, ereader, etc. has become a largely irrelevant amenity.

Sorry, iPads don't come with 36 live channels of DirecTV, 100 channels of XM Radio and unlimited full size cans of Coke and cookies.

JetBlue will do fine in the BOS-PHL market I think. They have the critical mass in Boston to make it work whereas other carriers simply did not (Southwest, Airtran) or the route wasn't high enough priority to stick out (American, Delta).

Now wishing they'd grow their network in the Midwest since they basically have the East Coast on lock...

a huge number of elites on both ends that will not fly Jetblue, I don't see it lasting.

Really? What does that mean? What/who are "elites"?

Are you suggesting that there are people who refuse to fly JetBlue because it's too declasse? I find this hard to believe. JetBlue is, IMO, by far the nicest US domestic airline. The others - AA, Delta, United, US Airways, Southwest - all feel a bit worn down and natty, no? JetBlue tends to have the nicest, newest planes, the most recently renovated/stylish departure areas, and the best amenities.

I fly business class pretty regularly (primarily not in the US), and I think JetBlue is one of the world's nicer airlines - though I say this without having ridden on any of the money-losing Ozymandias vanity-project airlines of the Persian Gulf petro states. Are there really people who shun it because of its lack of business/first class?

simmer. I think he meant frequent flyer status people who fly through philly a lot and have a high switching cost. Meaning Jetblue will have to win on the point to point traffic.

really? jetblue is the only US airline that doesn't feel like it's been sitting in the attic (or cellar) for 20 years, IMO. the others seem to have practiced woeful neglect of fleet (crappy maintenance/renovations, few new purchases). since circa 1990.

Aside from the occasional shabby old-configuration 752, which rarely show up in Boston anyways, I've never had a problem with American. USAir can be kind of shitty but they serve my purposes with the Shuttle and flights to PHL.

really? jetblue is the only US airline that doesn't feel like it's been sitting in the attic (or cellar) for 20 years, IMO. the others seem to have practiced woeful neglect of fleet (crappy maintenance/renovations, few new purchases). since circa 1990.

Have you flown Delta recently - I think their coach product is equal to or better than JetBlue if you are on a flight with Seatback TV's. However, their frequent flier program is stingy with rewards.

If you are a United Mileage Plus or US Airways Dividend Miles member and fly frequently through or to Philadelphia it may be tough to completely switch to JetBlue. You could potentially lose a lot of perks these flyers get (free upgrades, lounge access, priority boarding etc.). Some just might be addicted to getting the miles in either program.

This route will definitely work for JetBlue if the US/AA merger fails and AA allows their fliers to earn mileage on the JetBlue Boston to Philly flights as they do with routes from Boston to Richmond, Orlando, SF and Reagan National.

Jetblue is a rare instance of a company that I can solemnly say I love.

Back