Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Not surprised that Belo has more than Rio.

Shouldnt Mexico city have a direct flight, based on those numbers?

Dividing by 365 and then by 2 gets you a PDEW (passengers departing each way) of 62. With the exception of Cancun, other Mexican destinations do not have a lot of passengers to/from Boston. United's Houston hub offers pretty much everything Mexico City offers.

I flew Boston-Mexico City-Acapulco-Mexico City- Boston when the non-stop was available in mid 2000's. I'm sure the weekend flights were full since many people on the flight were connecting to Pacific resort areas. Connecting at MEX was a nightmare though and word of mouth had to have spread quickly on that.

It's also not strictly a numbers game, but rather the composition of the passengers - whether it's a business heavy route or a tourist/VFR route, which are typically lower yielding. Look at Amsterdam for example, Miami, even as a larger market struggles to retain any kind of service, even seasonally while Boston manages a year-round A333 with a second daily in the summer.

Dividing by 365 and then by 2 gets you a PDEW (passengers departing each way) of 62. With the exception of Cancun, other Mexican destinations do not have a lot of passengers to/from Boston. United's Houston hub offers pretty much everything Mexico City offers.

I flew Boston-Mexico City-Acapulco-Mexico City- Boston when the non-stop was available in mid 2000's. I'm sure the weekend flights were full since many people on the flight were connecting to Pacific resort areas. Connecting at MEX was a nightmare though and word of mouth had to have spread quickly on that.

Maybe a 3 times a week flight?

Maybe a 3 times a week flight?

As kmp1284 mentioned, it doesn't have enough business passengers via connections (Secondary markerts in Mexico are not huge from Boston) and not enough Boston-Mexico City orgin and destination traffic for it to be worthwhile.

For a Mexico City hub, its tough to compete with Houston, Miami, and to some extent Atlanta for Latin American traffic due to frequent flier loyalty, being a longish route (2000 miles), and geography (MIA works the best as Latin American hub).

Amsterdam and Frankfurt are excellent hubs since they can give a variety of 1-stop services to important business routes to Europe/Africa/Mideast/Indian Subcontinent. Istanbul/Doha/Dubai will provide even more variety if/when started.

I think the formula is outbound passengers + inbound passengers.

Looks like Jetblue is looking to add Philadelphia finally.

You could say that. They announced service a few weeks ago.

The next five largest markets from BOS that JetBlue doesn't serve are Atlanta, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Houston and Detroit. Note that four of the five are fortress hubs for other airlines: ATL, MSP and DTW for Delta and IAH for United.

JetBlue will have to add all of these in the near future so things will certainly get interesting. Can't wait to see them start filling out the network in the Midwest since there is a lot of potential from both Boston and New York (as well as Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, for that matter).

I'd also like to see seasonal direct to salt lake, a delta hub. It's more for selfish skiing reasons, but I feel like they once had it. Now you have to go through JFK and the hours aren't great.

I would also like to see Minneapolis to. I've heard great things about it, be a nice weekend. Obviously leisure trips to Minnesota aren't going to sustain it tho

The next five largest markets from BOS that JetBlue doesn't serve are Atlanta, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Houston and Detroit. Note that four of the five are fortress hubs for other airlines: ATL, MSP and DTW for Delta and IAH for United.

JetBlue will have to add all of these in the near future so things will certainly get interesting. Can't wait to see them start filling out the network in the Midwest since there is a lot of potential from both Boston and New York (as well as Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, for that matter).

Yes, if Midwest/Frontier had died a little faster (in MKE) or Southwest had grown a little slower (I saw a billboard for MKE-BOS on Southwest), MKE would have been a great place for JetBlue (as the old Midwest Express's closest spiritual successor)

But this does point out that Southwest (combined with Airtran) has perfected its role of hub-underminer in all 5 of those cities (except, possibly, Detroit), which implies that JetBlue can't really add those hubs until it has a stronger hub itself in BOS.

Yes, if Midwest/Frontier had died a little faster (in MKE) or Southwest had grown a little slower (I saw a billboard for MKE-BOS on Southwest), MKE would have been a great place for JetBlue (as the old Midwest Express's closest spiritual successor)

But this does point out that Southwest (combined with Airtran) has perfected its role of hub-underminer in all 5 of those cities (except, possibly, Detroit), which implies that JetBlue can't really add those hubs until it has a stronger hub itself in BOS.

I think that they could do Atlanta from Boston due to passenger numbers and Delta has gotten used to competition on the route. Houston would not be an expensive gamble too since they are already serving Houston Hobby - JFK.

Minneapolis and Detroit would be defended by Delta.

Southwest has MKE well covered.

Also, when you say hub would you expect a passenger to fly Detroit-Boston-Ft Lauderdale or are you thinking internationally such as Detroit-Boston-Dublin with the Boston-Dublin leg on Aer Lingus. Besides, Bermuda and other Caribbean destinations, there's not a lot of convenient connections on Jetblue in Boston from the destinations you mentioned. Houston and Atlanta only work to transfer passsengers to Jetblue's International Partners.

I'm not sure I'd go so far to say that Southwest is the perfect "hub-underminer" considering it has little more than a token presence in MSP and DTW and has been dismantling the operation AirTran had built in ATL.

If JetBlue can make BOS-PHL work -- a route US has fought hard to protect -- I'd say they will be more than okay going up against Delta on BOS-ATL/DTW/MSP. Ditto for going up against United on BOS-IAH. Similarly, I don't think they'd have many issues on BOS-MKE because it just isn't much of a priority for Southwest; MKE has taken a major backseat now that Frontier is gone and they've absorbed AirTran.

I don't have actual data but I'd guess that JetBlue's BOS operations are almost entirely O/D with very limited connections. JetBlue doesn't need a massive 'hub' in the traditional sense to make major markets like Atlanta or Houston work. They can make money while stimulating the nonstop demand via lower fares; as long as there is a strong local market, chances are they'll do just fine from BOS. They carry over 25% of the total traffic at Logan which is huge considering how fragmented of a market it is amongst the big four airlines.

Apparently Minneapolis/St. Paul is hoping to lure JetBlue to MSP. Perhaps we could eventually see Boston-MSP flights sometime soon.

Apparently in addition to the post-security passageway to be built between Terminals C and E one will also be constructed on the south side of the building allowing the three-gate pod under the control tower to be accessed through the main checkpoint.

Apparently in addition to the post-security passageway to be built between Terminals C and E one will also be constructed on the south side of the building allowing the three-gate pod under the control tower to be accessed through the main checkpoint.

Where are you hearing that (legitimately asking, not sarcasm)? It isn't in the EIR... The right move would be to replace that entire connector with a 6-7 gate concourse, but I'll take this.

Someone I know who's typically well-informed on all things related to Logan.

Strong rumors on other forums that Emirates will start daily Dubai flights on 7/1/2013.

Turkish Airlines had a couple of presentations leaked online that have plans for 4 weekly flights to Istanbul but no set date.

Both airlines are subject to available aircraft.

What type of aircraft would they likely use. I know an Emirates A380 got diverted here over the summer, but Logan could support that on the regular (physically and financially i assume). But do either of those airlines have any dreamliners coming in?

Back