Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I've happily paid extra to fly JetBlue, and would do so again, if only they would return to Columbus.

Jetblue is a rare instance of a company that I can solemnly say I love.

True that. I flown Continental, AA, United, etc. They don't give out free snacks, they don't have radios or tv channels, and the amount of leg room is next to nonexistent. They also cost more. I freaking love Jetblue. The quality they provide is between 1st class and coach at a price lower than coach.

Have you flown Delta recently - I think their coach product is equal to or better than JetBlue if you are on a flight with Seatback TV's.l.

Arent those just the Song planes, an airline that was created to perfectly mimic jetblue?

Arent those just the Song planes, an airline that was created to perfectly mimic jetblue?

Most of them are indeed. Delta will tell you online while booking if your flight contains the seat-back tv's. I believe all of the former Northwest Airbus A330's have personal TV's too.

I haven't flown Delta in a couple of years, are the PTVs free? I know on United they charge you for access to the channels.

I believe all of the former Northwest Airbus A330's have personal TV's too.

That is correct. Flew BOS-AMS-BOS on the A333 this year... nice plane, but the PTVs are definitely starting to show their age: smaller, not touch screen, etc.

JetBlue's PTVs are also quite small but they more than make up for it with other amenities. Have only flown JetBlue once before but they are easily my favorite domestic airline. It's really just too bad they are so shy of expansion in the Midwest. I guess it's a tough gig with the fortress hubs in MSP/DTW and the massive dual hub in ORD that inundate the BOS-Midwest market with so many connections to everywhere imaginable. :(

The boredom of being sick and having nothing else to do = fun with statistics!

Twenty most traveled international routes from Boston:
London - 512,648
Toronto - 282,828
Paris - 212,512
Dublin - 160,804
Cancun - 152,637
Oranjestad - 141,888
Santo Domingo - 131,539
Bermuda - 96,315
Frankfurt - 91,858
Rome - 87,534
Amsterdam - 84,572
Nassau - 71,327
Madrid - 71,003
Montreal - 63,633
Zurich - 61,322
Montego Bay - 60,819
Seoul - 56,199
Shannon - 55,998
Munich - 55,752
Tel Aviv - 54,702

Also, Boston's standing in each market
London
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Orlando
4 San Francisco
5 Boston
6 Miami
7 Washington
8 Las Vegas
9 Chicago
10 Houston

Toronto
1 New York
2 Miami
3 Las Vegas
4 Los Angeles
5 Chicago
6 Orlando
7 Boston
8 San Francisco
9 Tampa
10 Atlanta

Paris
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Miami
4 San Francisco
5 Washington
6 Boston
7 Chicago
8 Houston
9 Atlanta
10 Las Vegas

Dublin
1 New York
2 Boston
3 Chicago
4 Orlando
5 San Francisco

Cancun
1 New York
2 Miami
3 Chicago
4 Minneapolis
5 Los Angeles
6 Dallas
7 Atlanta
8 Detroit
9 Boston
10 Philadelphia

Oranjestad
1 New York
2 Boston
3 Miami

Santo Domingo
1 New York
2 Miami
3 San Juan
4 Boston
5 Orlando

Bermuda
1 New York
2 Boston

Frankfurt
1 New York
2 San Francisco
3 Washington
4 Miami
5 Los Angeles
6 Chicago
7 Boston
8 Las Vegas
9 Detroit
10 Orlando

Rome
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Miami
4 Washington
5 Chicago
6 Boston
7 San Francisco
8 Philadelphia

Amsterdam
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 San Francisco
4 Miami
5 Chicago
6 Boston
7 Washington
8 Orlando
9 Houston

Nassau
1 Miami
2 New York
3 Orlando
4 Atlanta
5 Boston

Madrid
1 New York
2 Miami
3 Washington
4 Los Angeles
5 Boston
6 Chicago
7 San Francisco

Montreal
1 Miami
2 New York
3 Orlando
4 Las Vegas
5 Chicago
6 Los Angeles
7 Washington
8 Atlanta
9 San Francisco
10 Boston

Zurich
1 New York
2 Miami
3 Los Angeles
4 San Francisco
5 Boston
6 Chicago

Montego Bay
1 New York
2 Miami
3 Philadelphia
4 Chicago
5 Atlanta
6 Baltimore
7 Orlando
8 Boston
9 Minneapolis

Seoul
1 Los Angeles
2 New York
3 Honolulu
4 San Francisco
5 Atlanta
6 Chicago
7 Washington
8 Seattle
9 Las Vegas
10 Dallas
11 Boston

Shannon
1 New York
2 Boston

Munich
1 New York
2 San Francisco
3 Los Angeles
4 Chicago
5 Miami
6 Washington
7 Boston

Tel Aviv
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Miami
4 San Francisco
5 Chicago
6 Boston

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/re...al aviation/25 global aviation appendix f.pdf

I had to look up the utterly unfamiliar place name "Oranjestad". How did this particular place get to be so popular with Bostonians, and vice versa?

I did not expect Montreal to rank so low in Boston's list (and vice versa). There's no train service and not a whole lot of bus service, so I guess most people just drive?

Also surprising: not a single Brazilian city on Boston's list.

I assume "Boston's standing in each market" is only among US destinations. Do you have a list showing where Boston ranks among all destinations from these foreign airports?

I had to look up the utterly unfamiliar place name "Oranjestad". How did this particular place get to be so popular with Bostonians, and vice versa?

You can't figure out why Aruba is a popular vacation spot?

I did not expect Montreal to rank so low in Boston's list (and vice versa). There's no train service and not a whole lot of bus service, so I guess most people just drive?

Probably a combination of people driving and its relative lack of importance as a commercial center.

Also surprising: not a single Brazilian city on Boston's list.

I wouldn't say that. Tokyo's not on the list either.

I assume "Boston's standing in each market" is only among US destinations.

Yes

Do you have a list showing where Boston ranks among all destinations from these foreign airports?

No

You can't figure out why Aruba is a popular vacation spot?

No, but I was surprised it beat out better-known places in Bermuda, Bahamas, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc. Also, from what you posted, it's favored by people in NYC, Boston, Miami, but nowhere else in the US.

(And yeah ... why are Japan, Taiwan, and China not on the list, when Korea is?)

I would imagine the lack of a Brazilian city might have to do with the fact that when travelers from Boston connect to go to Brazil, they tend to disperse all over the country.

Tokyo is sure to join the list for Boston sometime soon. With the introduction of year round, non-stop flights, the market is sure to see some good stimulation.

The Seoul numbers are nice to see and only goes to show how Seoul would be a great second Asian city destination for Boston with decent local demand along with the big Incheon hub as well.

Also, it's not that surprising Boston doesn't rank high for Montreal. Looking at that list, I am going to go ahead and guess the Miami, Orlando and Vegas see massive amounts of Canadians migrating south for vacation.

I also think a lot of people in this region who would fly from Logan opt to drive up there and save some money in the process.

We did a lot of vacationing in the Caribbean when I was growing up and I never saw the appeal of Aruba vs. the rest of the region. It seems to be the island of choice for people who rarely ever go to the Caribbean. I think it's fairly unattractive (it's a desert island and it's flat), it's further than most Caribbean destinations, and it's not necessarily cheaper than many (inc. Jamaica, much of the Bahamas, D.R., Puerto Rico, etc.). I doubt I'd ever go back to Aruba.

Also, it's not that surprising Boston doesn't rank high for Montreal. Looking at that list, I am going to go ahead and guess the Miami, Orlando and Vegas see massive amounts of Canadians migrating south for vacation.

I also think a lot of people in this region who would fly from Logan opt to drive up there and save some money in the process.

Agreed. It's a similar distance to Philadelphia which has a lot of Boston traffic, but there are a few differences.

1) Commercial significance. More people travel BOS-PHL for busines than Boston to Montreal.

2) Airfare costs. Flying in and out of Canadian cities is expensive. Many people fly to Buffalo for Toronto or Seattle for Vancouver (it was cheaper for me to fly BOS-SEA and rent a car than to fly directly to YVR).

3) Driving distance. While it's similar mileage BOS-MTL and BOS-PHL, the drive is much easier to Montreal. BOS-PHL often has snarled traffic for a good chunk of the route. You have to pass through/near NYC and a bunch of small/mid sized cities in between. There's nothing but country and rolling hills between MTL and BOS. The drive is not only easier, but it can actually be pretty pleasant.

No, but I was surprised it beat out better-known places in Bermuda, Bahamas, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc. Also, from what you posted, it's favored by people in NYC, Boston, Miami, but nowhere else in the US.

(And yeah ... why are Japan, Taiwan, and China not on the list, when Korea is?)

I'm sure if this list extended to say 750, you would see a lot of Boston markets pop up right in that 40,000-54,000 per year range - among others probably Brussels, Manchester, Milan, Shanghai, Tokyo, maybe Geneva and perhaps somewhere in India and then Hong Kong, Sao Paulo and/or Rio, Mexico City, Glasgow, Vancouver, Beijing, etc. in the 25-40,000 segment.

I'm sure if this list extended to say 750, you would see a lot of Boston markets pop up right in that 40,000-54,000 per year range - among others probably Brussels, Manchester, Milan, Shanghai, Tokyo, maybe Geneva and perhaps somewhere in India and then Hong Kong, Sao Paulo and/or Rio, Mexico City, Glasgow, Vancouver, Beijing, etc. in the 25-40,000 segment.

Athens too.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/aviation has top 200 markets. You just have to select Boston on the page. The main destinations in India are getting close to 40,000 and there is tremendous growth in secondary destinations such as Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Brussels 31,810
Manchester UK 33,691 (has decreased 18%)
Athens 41,418
Milan 42,904
Beijing 48,438
Shanghai 52,796
Tokyo 50,389 (down trememdously due to 2011 Tsunami was over 65,000 in 2003 and I have seen 70,000 from a Massport presentation from 2010)
Geneva 29,870
Delhi 36,905 (has doubled in 8 years)
Mumbai 39,502
Vancouver BC 43,235
Sao Paulo 37,241
Mexico City 45,778
Hong Kong 46,245
Glasgow -14,924 (down 50%)
Rio De Janeiro 17,146 (lower than I expected - Belo Horizonte had 23,222)

Would have thought Brussels was bigger, then again Sabena's whole claim to fame was its African network and it wasn't as if they ever made money anyways.

Not surprised that Belo has more than Rio.

Shouldnt Mexico city have a direct flight, based on those numbers?

Back