Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

There have been tons of issues with the 787 for United and All Nippon, sooner or later JAL was bound to have something go wrong.

In less exciting news Delta is doing Saturday flights to Myrtle Beach for the summer.

I had noticed with the plans for the C to E connector that their current space was going to be cut into somewhat considerably. Obviously for travelers, airside concessions are preferable but it was nice to have one decent centrally located option where I could go get a beer and a cup of chowder while waiting to pick someone up.

In other news, starting next summer, United will operate eight daily flights between Boston and San Francisco. Outside of American on JFK-LAX and presumably United on IAD/EWR-LAX/SFO I would expect this to be one of the highest frequency trans-con flights out there.

In other news, starting next summer, United will operate eight daily flights between Boston and San Francisco. Outside of American on JFK-LAX and presumably United on IAD/EWR-LAX/SFO I would expect this to be one of the highest frequency trans-con flights out there.
Neato! Up against Virgin America, JetBlue, it makes sense for UA to try to soak up the business traffic with frequency.

Neato! Up against Virgin America, JetBlue, it makes sense for UA to try to soak up the business traffic with frequency.

Definitely a smart move - UA is flying with mostly A319 to keep capacity from going through the roof.

The 6:00pm BOS-SFO flight gets a 757 though.

In less exciting news Delta is doing Saturday flights to Myrtle Beach for the summer.

This actually might help me out a bunch this summer - where did you see this release?

This actually might help me out a bunch this summer - where did you see this release?

Over on airliners.net, there is a poster who publishes changes in the OAG schedules. Does it pretty much weekly and it;s always nice to see what changes are being made.

It's a clunker!

Fuel leaks from Dreamliner flight to Tokyo; plane returning to terminal

By Mike Bello and Martin Finucane, Globe Staff

A fuel leak has been reported from a Boeing 787 Dreamliner jetliner at Logan International Airport, officials said.

Crews are on the airfield containing the leak from the Japan Airlines flight headed to Tokyo, officials said.

The flight had 178 passengers on board. The plane is returning to the terminal with the passengers still aboard. No injuries have been reported, said airport spokesman Matthew Brelis.

Officials are trying to determine the cause and location of the leak.

It’s the second day in a row a problem has been reported with a Japan Airlines Dreamliner at Logan.

On Monday a fire was discovered in a battery compartment in the underbelly of a Dreamliner that had just arrived from Tokyo. No one was injured. The fire was smelled by cleaners in the plane after passengers had disembarked.

The airline runs a nonstop flight connecting Boston and Tokyo, which has been viewed as a boost for the airport and for the regional economy.

The carbon-composite plane has been closely watched through development and production, the Globe reports today.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...light-tokyo/bL83P1vSeCRjSeOfsWXlXM/story.html

^geez. Two days in a row.

Anyone know the capacity of the JAL 787. I thought it was around 220-240. The flights with issues yesterday have had 173 and 178 passengers and 11 crew. I'm not sure what that says for overall trends, but I would have hoped that the flights would be more full. I guess it's probably not as much of an issue if the front of the cabin is at capacity, anyway.

It's around 180-185. 40 up front, 140 or so in back. Most other carriers have higher density configurations with only 20-30 J seats and 180+ Y seats. I don't think anyone has yet introduced a three class configuration.

Would there be any reason other than price (which they'll presumably have to keep very competitive) and miles (for people locked in to legacy carriers) to fly United to SFO over Virgin or JetBlue?

Would there be any reason other than price (which they'll presumably have to keep very competitive) and miles (for people locked in to legacy carriers) to fly United to SFO over Virgin or JetBlue?

Frequency, for one (after all, the fact that United is doing it 8x/day is what inspired this conversation). JetBlue has no in-flight WiFi, so if you care about that, it might make a difference. Personally, I'd never do BOS-SFO without TV, so that locks me into Virgin and JetBlue pretty good, but I have miles with both and think the experience is far better with them, particularly Virgin.

Connectivity as well. A lot of those people are continuing on to Asia, Hawaii or elsewhere on the west coast. Frequency and thus options are huge for business travelers though. JetBlue only offers two daily flights and the morning departure is too late for anyone wanting to get a half day of work in at the other end. I'm somewhat surprised though that they're using A319's which only seat eight in first. This is one of the diminishing number of routes out of Logan where first actually still sells well. Another attractor is United's premium economy product offering a little more leg room for just a few bucks more than straight steerage. I also see this as a preemptive move to further dominate the route in light of the uncertainty surrounding Virgin America's finances and the occasionally mentioned return of American on this route.

In addition to in-flight amenities and frequency mentioned above, the market isn't all one-way and United happens to have a rather large, lucrative hub in SFO with the accompanying massive frequent flier base. No doubt they absolutely dominate SFO-originating traffic. In contrast, I'd suspect that JetBlue captures much more of the BOS-originating market and Virgin ends up with mostly leftovers from both sides.

^geez. Two days in a row.

Anyone know the capacity of the JAL 787. I thought it was around 220-240. The flights with issues yesterday have had 173 and 178 passengers and 11 crew. I'm not sure what that says for overall trends, but I would have hoped that the flights would be more full. I guess it's probably not as much of an issue if the front of the cabin is at capacity, anyway.

The way JAL has their 787s configure, you're looking at 186 total passengers. 144 in the back and 42 up front.

In addition to in-flight amenities and frequency mentioned above, the market isn't all one-way and United happens to have a rather large, lucrative hub in SFO with the accompanying massive frequent flier base. No doubt they absolutely dominate SFO-originating traffic. In contrast, I'd suspect that JetBlue captures much more of the BOS-originating market and Virgin ends up with mostly leftovers from both sides.

That's not entirely fair. Virgin's hub at SFO has, I believe, at least approached 20% of total SFO enplanements. Nowhere near United, of course, but it's the second largest airline at the airport. I hardly think that entitles them to "scraps," particularly as SEA, LAX, SAN, etc. could all see a Virgin transfer a reasonable way to get to Boston.

I wouldn't count on that. This is a huge business route with lots of high value tech and finance travelers. Even in Boston where JetBlue is supposedly king, many FF's see little value in their offerings and still gravitate towards the legacies and their often superior list of perks. I don't doubt that they have a decent share of the market but United has a lock on both ends of this route.

I wouldn't count on that. This is a huge business route with lots of high value tech and finance travelers. Even in Boston where JetBlue is supposedly king, many FF's see little value in their offerings and still gravitate towards the legacies and their often superior list of perks. I don't doubt that they have a decent share of the market but United has a lock on both ends of this route.

I agree with you about United getting most of the business traffic since you also have US frequent fliers as well to pull from. However, American Airlines frequent fliers can earn miles on Jetblue's BOS-SFO which does help. They cannot earn elite qualifying points though.

Back