Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Per a number of sources, American Airlines will be introducing its new livery this week, either tomorrow or Friday. They've made some fantastic advances with their on-board product but this should be interesting to see with the current brand dating back to 1968 and in my opinion, still looking as good now as it did then.

I would agree in regards to the America livery. More often than not, the changes carriers have made in the last 10-12 years in their liveries have not been as good as the previous ones, imo.

[W]hen Airbus first came out with the A380 I thought it would be a dismal failure. It has since proven itself to have utility
The WSJ today and Wikipedia suggest that the A380 is still selling too slow(about 10 units per year), and being produced too slow (less than 30 units per year)-- to make its development costs back before 2023 . Sales price is greater than its cost of production (so they can afford to make them) but it isn't paying down its development-costs debt.

Deliveries need to get to about 420 planes sold for it to pay back its development costs. They've got orders for about 260. So only 160 more to go from a sales standpoint.

Problem is, they've only delivered about 90 and are delivering 26 per year: a gap of 330 planes that will take 11 years to produce their way out of, If they had the orders--which they don't.

Worse, orders have stagnated (as the WSJ points out). Its hard to see where they get more than 10 orders per year. At that rate, its 16 years to profitability from a sales standpoint.

Its already 12 years from program start in 2000 ,and 11 to 16 more years to breakeven. 23 to 26 years (from start in 2000) is a long time to carrying around nearly $15b in development costs with no payback. Then, having gotten to break even, will the plane keep selling?

does that always hold you think? As a non-car owner, there is a hertz near me, but it seems more expensive then if i do hotwire at the airport (unless its a real busy weekend.) maybe its more timing?

This ^.

The airport locations are for about 90% business travelers this time of year. They need the cars for monday, and come back thursday.

The shuttlebus to ConRAC will stop at the blueline stop.

On friday around 6-7pm they will be closing 1a both directions to move some 100 ton beams to the site.

aren't they supposed to be absorbed by USAirways after they emerge from bankruptcy? This new logo may have a very short life.

Doubtful at this point. Even then, they would be keeping the American brand.

does that always hold you think? As a non-car owner, there is a hertz near me, but it seems more expensive then if i do hotwire at the airport (unless its a real busy weekend.) maybe its more timing?

Try using hotwire, but search Boston (City) and not Boston (airport). A lot of the time, Priceline, Hotwire, etc. search airport rentals by default. Usually, it's a bit cheaper to rent from non-airport locations. I learned this after a few years of only renting from airport facilities (in many cities).

The kicker, of course, is that most non-airport rental sites are only open 9-5 or 6. I like being able to return a car early in the morning before work, or late at night.

How would they know whether or not you just got off a plane?

I'd guess that a fair number of people who did fly in are still 'walk-ups', as they didn't make car rental reservations before arriving at Logan.

Many are supposed to ask for a plane ticket, or proof of arrival/ nearing departure. I've also heard that this is dependent on whether or not you pay with a credit card or debit card. I've run into this with Enterprise. Mostly it's only a problem when paying with debit card. I've never had an issue when using a credit card. If I've presented a debit card, about 50% of the time they've asked for a ticket. Never have I been denied a rental, though.

The red-white-and-blue insignia at the front (after "American") somehow reminds me very strongly of Air France's logo.

Ghastly ...

http://www.aa.com/newamerican/img/planeSpritemap.jpg

And with the flag shit I'm assuming the merger is going to happen.

Hardly... the massively stylized eagle takes a cue from the old Saul Bass airline logos (think United's "Tulip" that no one could tell was a letter U) and should be a slick shorthand for the airline, and the plane isn't boring. That's the most important thing. Iconic designs have often been jarring at the beginning (though sometimes that's the way they stay :) )

Also, I have a feeling you're going to be proven right about the merger. That's the US Airways tail blown up.

LOL - Google Maps labels the parking lot just north of it "Logan Airport Noise Complaints".

That's the US Airways tail blown up.
Actually, the new AA tail is very much like the tails of US Military aircaft from 1941 - 1942: 6 red stripes, 5 white stripes from the top of the tail to the midline of the fuselage:
3_17.jpg

AA-737-Livery.jpg

Back