Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Japan Airlines explains 787 fuel leak in Boston

January 9, 2013 12:53 PM EST | AP

BOSTON — Japan Airlines is giving more details about a fuel leak on one of its Boeing 787s that delayed a nonstop flight from Boston to Tokyo.

A spokeswoman said Wednesday that one of four valves connecting the center and left main fuel tanks was open. That led to fuel flowing between those tanks to a surge tank near the wing tip and then out a vent, spilling about 40 gallons.

She says that valve was deactivated and the flight was cleared to depart later Tuesday. A more detailed inspection was scheduled in Tokyo.

The leak Tuesday was the second problem in two days for Japan Airlines at Boston Logan. A fire broke out in a battery pack in the belly of a different Boeing 787 on Monday, after passengers had exited.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-...ne-fuel-leak/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage

That's not entirely fair. Virgin's hub at SFO has, I believe, at least approached 20% of total SFO enplanements. Nowhere near United, of course, but it's the second largest airline at the airport. I hardly think that entitles them to "scraps," particularly as SEA, LAX, SAN, etc. could all see a Virgin transfer a reasonable way to get to Boston.

It's pretty fair based on Virgin America's overall business model of going into some of the most competitive, highly-contested markets in the country. They don't have anywhere near a 20 percent market share at SFO - it's more like 8-10 percent overall. That's a much, much larger gap between VX's 8-10 percent share and United's 44 percent.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely like VX a lot and have flown them SFO-BOS before. That's not to say it doesn't have an incredible uphill battle operating in the markets it does; not to mention, it has yet to turn a profit doing so. Virgin America might be a "reasonable way" to get from the West Coast to Boston, but in general it doesn't not seem to garner the revenue premiums needed to make a profit.

I wouldn't count on that. This is a huge business route with lots of high value tech and finance travelers. Even in Boston where JetBlue is supposedly king, many FF's see little value in their offerings and still gravitate towards the legacies and their often superior list of perks. I don't doubt that they have a decent share of the market but United has a lock on both ends of this route.

Care to define what you mean by "lock on both ends" of the route? As of Q2 2012 United had 35 percent of the market while JetBlue carried 26 percent. Though United had a higher average fare (almost $100 higher in fact). The market is pretty fragmented, as is the case for most BOS routes. And given that JetBlue carries over 26 percent of all BOS passengers (United less than 12 percent) while United controls 44 percent of the SFO market, it isn't at all a stretch to think that JetBlue's share skews more towards BOS-originating while United's tends to be more SFO-originating.

JetBlue has made an incredible play at BOS with their lower costs, eroding legacy airlines' market share basically across the board (see: AA exiting BOS-SFO, a variety of airlines terminating BOS-Florida, AA/US abandoning BOS-Caribbean, etc.). A byproduct of its large network is its ability to win over a significant amount of business travel ex-BOS as well. None of this is to say that United will drop SFO anytime soon; it's just that they don't enjoy the market dominance they once did on the route.

It should also be noted that all legacy carriers have cut a lot of point-to-point flying and have been funneling traffic via their hubs. AA has had a big shift towards all flights going through their biggest hubs: DFW, Miami, O'Hare, LAX and JFK/LaGuardia.

However, it interesting to see how many routes AA has cut from Boston over the last 11-12 years: San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Norfolk, St. Louis, Philadelphia, DCA, London, San Juan, Manchester and I am sure there are a few others.

I personally like that JetBlue has come in, saw that Logan and this region is a massive air market and have set up a solid network. I like their service better than United, or Delta for example. Boston is never going to lose year round, multiple daily flights to all the big hubs: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles. It's nice that JetBlue has shown commitment to expanding Boston.

JAL will be grounding their 787s to be inspected over in Japan. I am going to guess this means Logan will be seeing some 772s on the Narita-Logan run for the next few days.

I personally like that JetBlue has come in, saw that Logan and this region is a massive air market and have set up a solid network. I like their service better than United, or Delta for example. Boston is never going to lose year round, multiple daily flights to all the big hubs: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles. It's nice that JetBlue has shown commitment to expanding Boston.

I think the demographic also largely played into jB's foray into Boston as a hub. 1/3 of the city's population is between 20 and 34. Many of these are college students from elsewhere that need to fly home and/or want to travel around the country. Look at the amenities they offer: unlimited snacks, Satellite TV, new(er) planes (at the time), etc... all amenities that cater to and are primarily appreciated by our generation. A typical 50 or 60 year old would be satisfied with a bag of peanuts and a book, which is the crap you get on other airlines including the legacies and ShitWest. As long as this demographic is heavily present in Boston, jetBlue will simply thrive and continue to expand.

They've cancelled most of their 787 flights for tomorrow including Boston and San Diego.

Where exactly is the ConRAC ? (Can you post a Google map with its location?) Will it be a reasonable walk from the Blue Line station or a Silver Line airport terminal stop?

Where exactly is the ConRAC ? (Can you post a Google map with its location?) Will it be a reasonable walk from the Blue Line station or a Silver Line airport terminal stop?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hert...on+logan&hnear=Boston,+Massachusetts&t=h&z=16

Probably not walkable. Its a short distance, but there are no sidewalks and the streets are super busy. The best thing you could do is take the silverline and get on a hertz bus to the lot where you can see the whole backside.

I wasn't planning to visit to look at the construction, but I'm thinking about people who might want to rent or return a rental car without getting on or off a flight.

isn't the idea to replace all the individual rental car buses with one that serves all terminals? If so, perhaps it will stop at the Airport T or water taxi stop. If not, you hop on any shuttle to a terminal and switch to the conrac one. Not ideal, but if you wanted ideal you would have your own car ;)

Are there any plans for the current Hertz, Avis, Budget lots that this will replace? Hotels? anything?

I wasn't planning to visit to look at the construction, but I'm thinking about people who might want to rent or return a rental car without getting on or off a flight.

Many people aren't aware of the price disparity that exists when renting a vehicle on-airport (higher) as opposed to off-airport (generally lower). Also, some rental car companies that maintain fleets at airports do not rent to "walk-ups" (i.e. folks who didn't just fly in).

Easiest off-airport option is the Enterprise location at the Government Center Garage. 1/3 cheaper than Logan, and easy access to the T and the highway.

However, I've known folks who flew in, rented a car at the airport, but then wanted to return it a few days earlier than their flight out. So I was curious if this facility would make their life any easier.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2013/01/16/jallogan/144YVjXMFNg3iTJ6hBxEHM/story.html

Well it looks like we are getting a bit of 777 service (for the meantime), while the 787 fleet is grounded.

Japan Airlines said it will fly a Boeing 777 from Tokyo to Boston Thursday instead of a 787, after an emergency landing of a 787 operated by All Nippon Airways prompted both airlines to ground their Dreamliners Wednesday for safety checks.

For Japan Airlines, or JAL, concerns about the 787, also known as the Dreamliner, meant canceling its Tokyo-Boston flights scheduled for Wednesday.

The 777, which is larger and less fuel-efficient than the 787, will fly into Logan International Airport Thursday, stay overnight, and then fly out on Friday.

It normally takes two aircraft to operate the Boston-Tokyo flight, and the airline has only one 777 available to fly the route, which means the Thursday flight out of Boston and the Friday flight into Boston will be canceled, JAL said.

Many people aren't aware of the price disparity that exists when renting a vehicle on-airport (higher) as opposed to off-airport (generally lower). Also, some rental car companies that maintain fleets at airports do not rent to "walk-ups" (i.e. folks who didn't just fly in).

Easiest off-airport option is the Enterprise location at the Government Center Garage. 1/3 cheaper than Logan, and easy access to the T and the highway.

does that always hold you think? As a non-car owner, there is a hertz near me, but it seems more expensive then if i do hotwire at the airport (unless its a real busy weekend.) maybe its more timing?

Also, some rental car companies that maintain fleets at airports do not rent to "walk-ups" (i.e. folks who didn't just fly in)

How would they know whether or not you just got off a plane?

I'd guess that a fair number of people who did fly in are still 'walk-ups', as they didn't make car rental reservations before arriving at Logan.

Last edited:
The FAA has also grounded all 787s. Absolute disaster for Boeing is unfolding.

Per a number of sources, American Airlines will be introducing its new livery this week, either tomorrow or Friday. They've made some fantastic advances with their on-board product but this should be interesting to see with the current brand dating back to 1968 and in my opinion, still looking as good now as it did then.

Back