Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Side question the Emirates service...will they be offering all three classes (First, Business, Economy), and if so, what kind of first class setup will they have? They have three different configurations of first class.

They're starting with a 777-200LR so three classes. F is the enclosed suite variety with the flat bed and sliding door. It's what you would expect from that part if the world - tacky, tacky, tacky. I much prefer the muted aesthetic and open cabin configuration of Swiss personally.

November numbers have been released by Massport.

Through November, 27,873,469 passengers have flown through Logan. That is a 2.9% increase over the same period for 2013.

November as a month saw a -0.8% decrease over November 2012, the first month of 2013 to see a dip vs. 2012. (2,315,982 in 2012, 2,296,667 in 2013)

It will be interesting to see how December does and if Logan can top 30 million passengers.

Total international passengers through November stand at 4,220,282, a 3.4% increase over 2012.

November numbers have been released by Massport.

Through November, 27,873,469 passengers have flown through Logan. That is a 2.9% increase over the same period for 2013.

November as a month saw a -0.8% decrease over November 2012, the first month of 2013 to see a dip vs. 2012. (2,315,982 in 2012, 2,296,667 in 2013)

It will be interesting to see how December does and if Logan can top 30 million passengers.

Total international passengers through November stand at 4,220,282, a 3.4% increase over 2012.

Having a late Thanksgiving may have factored into the numbers as well with people coming home in early December. Massport does note this on the page

Not the best month for COPA too = 60.4% load factor. Is this historically the worst month for Latin America travel? I know December will be good for them but I'm actually wondering about Jan-Feb.

Japan Airlines fared better with 80.4% but did 84.6% for the month last year.

Not the best month for COPA too = 60.4% load factor. Is this historically the worst month for Latin America travel? I know December will be good for them but I'm actually wondering about Jan-Feb.

Not great but somewhat excusable given that the flight has only been running for five months or so. In the long term I don't see any major obstacle preventing COPA from being successful here but they have a few things going against them. For one thing, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they started with a daily flight right off the bat. Typically when new international service is introduced it's done at a less-than-daily frequency to test the waters and establish a following before committing to the daily flight. Aside from Emirates, every new international carrier in my time here has launched at a less-than-daily frequency. Also, they offer a non-stop to Panama City and one-stop service to a few obscure Central and South American cities but aside from that, nearly every major South American market already had one-stop service via Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Kennedy, etc. For several of those cities, it is actually more direct to connect in Miami or elsewhere in the eastern United States. In the case of Sao Paulo, it's an added 1,250 miles connecting via Panama City as opposed to Miami. Not to generalize but the South American VFR demographic within the United States has been intensely loyal to American Airlines and with the superior frequent flyer program, prying them away may prove difficult. Not that this matters to the vast majority of travelers but in the case of those who can fly in a premium cabin, the offerings of pre-merger American and United are most often far superior.

The 787 is considered damaged goods. A lot of people won't fly it, myself included.

Not great but somewhat excusable given that the flight has only been running for five months or so. In the long term I don't see any major obstacle preventing COPA from being successful here but they have a few things going against them. For one thing, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they started with a daily flight right off the bat. Typically when new international service is introduced it's done at a less-than-daily frequency to test the waters and establish a following before committing to the daily flight. Aside from Emirates, every new international carrier in my time here has launched at a less-than-daily frequency.

Turkish is doing 5x weekly for only a month. I wonder if that is due to plane availability.

I think Copa had a bit of advantage with starting in peak season. I wonder if they started this month or last month if they would have tried that strategy as they have done with Tampa a couple of weeks ago.

Not to generalize but the South American VFR demographic within the United States has been intensely loyal to American Airlines and with the superior frequent flyer program, prying them away may prove difficult. Not that this matters to the vast majority of travelers but in the case of those who can fly in a premium cabin, the offerings of pre-merger American and United are most often far superior.

American definitely has the market and the high end business traveler is going to want that better business class product that is offered on a 777 heading to Sao Paulo from MIA/JFK.

Copa's frequent flier program is Mileage Plus, which just got a bit stingier starting Feb 2014, so the program itself isn't the main issue.

The 787 is considered damaged goods. A lot of people won't fly it, myself included.

Those loads are decent for the NRT month especially if the front of the plane is getting sales. I think the 4 percent loss is just related to all market factors overall (month, timing of Holiday, airline preference, etc.) and not particularly related to 787.

To compare Copa and JAL performance to others, the most recent DOT report states that the average Load Factor for International Flights from Logan was 76.9% for Q2 2013.

We won't have Q4 2013 for a while but Q4 2012 was 75.5%.

EDIT: These numbers are year-ending for the Quarter!!!

Here's the link: http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-...l-air-passenger-and-freight-statistics-report

The load factors and passenger counts are typically on the last 2-3 pages of the pdfs.

Last edited:
Having a late Thanksgiving may have factored into the numbers as well with people coming home in early December. Massport does note this on the page

Loads are only half of the equation, though. A quick look at Copa's one-way BOS-PTY fares in January shows them ranging around $450-900+. Considering we have domestic routes that are longer than BOS-PTY (e.g. BOS-West Coast) and have one-way fares much less than that, my guess is they're doing just fine. Add in the massive connecting opportunities in PTY plus cargo and it seems like the route is off to a good start.

KMP -- Boeing has such an enormous backlog that you and yourself don't seem to bothered the airlines that keep ordering the 787's

in fact 787 might become the new 727 -- a must have for almost all the airlines because:

1) efficiency of operations,
2) lexibility of use
3) and because it just fits into places that can't justify the really big planes such as the growing number of point-to-point long hauls

It looks like Southwest is cutting down their BOS-MKE schedule? It looks like it's now just two directs a weekday and 1 a weekend?

It looks like Southwest is cutting down their BOS-MKE schedule? It looks like it's now just two directs a weekday and 1 a weekend?

I assumed this route would be tapered down. I used to fly BOS-MKE-SFO on Airtran quite frequently when I first started going to San Francisco a lot (I then started doing the Jetblue direct flight more often). I liked it because MKE is a small airport and I usually walked off the plane and right onto the next one.

When Southwest merged, I think they eliminated the Airtran BOS-MKE and replaced it with SWA service. With the Midway hub not far away, I don't see why they'd need that many connections to MKE.

Well, sucks for me who likes to make weekend trips to Milwaukee to see family.

They're starting with a 777-200LR so three classes. F is the enclosed suite variety with the flat bed and sliding door. It's what you would expect from that part if the world - tacky, tacky, tacky. I much prefer the muted aesthetic and open cabin configuration of Swiss personally.

Thanks. Will Emirates have a Boston lounge area?

Thanks. Will Emirates have a Boston lounge area?

Oak -- I presume that they will use one of the existing lounges in Term E -- BA, LH, AF, VA

If this non European stuff keeps growing -- Massport will trot-out and brush-off the plans for the West Concourse of Terminal E. There would be plenty of space for new lounges in that.

Emirates only has lounges at Kennedy and San Francisco so I doubt very much that a lounge in Boston is in the cards, even with the west concourse. If I had to guess I would say they'll use the Virgin Clubhouse like they do at Dulles.

Any predictions for 2014?

I'm predicting that there will not be a repeat of announced international service like we had in 2013.

One exception is the WOW air service to Iceland that DOT just approved and may be announced shortly.

Domestic could be a wild year.

I can't see JetBlue starting anything else in the Caribbean as well but I do see them going into Atlanta, Minneapolis, and possibly Indianapolis. This will kick off a war with Delta where the bigger Airline responds with 1-2 Florida routes, Aruba, and Seattle (poking Alaska in the eye as well).

United moves to B and does nothing to disrupt their status quo.

American and US Airways are the complete wildcards here. They could cut anything point to point or they could be studying for a 2015 Boston expansion.

Any predictions for 2014?

I'm predicting that there will not be a repeat of announced international service like we had in 2013.

One exception is the WOW air service to Iceland that DOT just approved and may be announced shortly.

Domestic could be a wild year.

I can't see JetBlue starting anything else in the Caribbean as well but I do see them going into Atlanta, Minneapolis, and possibly Indianapolis. This will kick off a war with Delta where the bigger Airline responds with 1-2 Florida routes, Aruba, and Seattle (poking Alaska in the eye as well).

United moves to B and does nothing to disrupt their status quo.

American and US Airways are the complete wildcards here. They could cut anything point to point or they could be studying for a 2015 Boston expansion.

Adam -- United and American have to deal with the major reconstruction going on at B that will be underway for at least this calendar year

Adam -- United and American have to deal with the major reconstruction going on at B that will be underway for at least this calendar year

It's opening in the first quarter of 2014. USAirways dba American Airlines will in the longer term likely consolidate in B West with Air Canada and perhaps some other smaller carriers relocating into B East. In the short term, the split operation will remain.

It's opening in the first quarter of 2014. USAirways dba American Airlines will in the longer term likely consolidate in B West with Air Canada and perhaps some other smaller carriers relocating into B East. In the short term, the split operation will remain.

KMP ... Not going to be finished until 2015 according to the Massport Capital Budget

KMP ... Not going to be finished until 2015 according to the Massport Capital Budget

I've read the capital budget and there's nothing in there indicating a completion date. We've already established earlier in this thread that you don't actually understand a budget anyways.

Emirates only has lounges at Kennedy and San Francisco so I doubt very much that a lounge in Boston is in the cards, even with the west concourse. If I had to guess I would say they'll use the Virgin Clubhouse like they do at Dulles.

Thanks for the information. Can't wait to see the Emirates, Hainan, and Turkish planes at Logan next spring/summer. It will also be a big drawing card for the Boston area in attracting and keeping businesses.

Another random question, anyone know what the daily passenger count is for Boston-Honolulu/Hawaii?

Back